Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
arinkuddy

Name: arinkuddy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
362SXE II sizing question

Capture.PNG
Question
I'm looking at the 362SXE turbo on industrial's site. I'm guessing the 64/68 is going to spool faster because the turbine has the most weight and is smaller but that's a guess.
For anyone with experience, which one will spool faster and why would you pick one over the other?

I have a 2006 5.9 and have a target hp of 600 and not really any more. My current turbo is a 62/64 thunder 330 from II

Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
compressors
I love 62mm wheels however they wont get you your 600hp.
64mm wheels are much harder to find if you ever need to replace one. might get you 600.
a 66mm will get you where you want to go but its a 66, they can be a royal pita on a DD

----my vote here is a 63mm compressor. will get you close to 600hp on the high end

turbines
65's work great on old stuff
68's work well for stock replacement common rail stuff
----71mm is my favorite as its only 3mm smaller on the exducer and the same size on the inducer as a 74mm. But they are kinda hard to find
74mm is the most common size turbine which makes it much easier to replace.

housings
12cm housings work well but they will absolutely choke up on the high end
14cm will spool nearly identical to a 12 but give you a few more rpms up top
High Tech Turbo manufactured a 13 and 16cm stainless steel housing back in the day. I run a 13 and like it quite a bit. not due to the size but due to the ENORMOUS wastegate ports compared to the 12 and 14. got a buddy that runs a 66/71/16. went from a 14cm housing and it lowered egts a noticeable amount and really opened up the top end of the turbo. another strong recommendation there. the 16 wont be for everyone. but works wonderful when trying to get the most out of a gated s300. both of the SS housing are no longer available and when you find them get your pocket book out. they do tend to crack so be mindful.

---ide build a 63/71/14 and see how it runs. it will have good street manner and make good power.

also I feel a 69mm compressor wheel is way to much for the frame of the turbo let alone a mismatch for any of the turbine wheels. I don't believe anyone will have much long term reliability from them. however the compressor moves a ton of air.

Last edited by turbo2387; 05-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
arinkuddy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
compressors
64mm wheels are much harder to find if you ever need to replace one. might get you 600.
a 66mm will get you where you want to go but its a 66, they can be a royal pita on a DD

----my vote here is a 63mm compressor. will get you close to 600hp on the high end

turbines
----71mm is my favorite as its only 3mm smaller on the exducer and the same size on the inducer as a 74mm. But they are kinda hard to find

housings
High Tech Turbo manufactured a 13 and 16cm stainless steel housing back in the day. I run a 13 and like it quite a bit. not due to the size but due to the ENORMOUS wastegate ports compared to the 12 and 14. got a buddy that runs a 66/71/16. went from a 14cm housing and it lowered egts a noticeable amount and really opened up the top end of the turbo. another strong recommendation there. the 16 wont be for everyone. but works wonderful when trying to get the most out of a gated s300. both of the SS housing are no longer available and when you find them get your pocket book out. they do tend to crack so be mindful.

---ide build a 63/71/14 and see how it runs. it will have good street manner and make good power.

also I feel a 69mm compressor wheel is way to much for the frame of the turbo let alone a mismatch for any of the turbine wheels. I don't believe anyone will have much long term reliability from them. however the compressor moves a ton of air.

Awesome thank you for the great info!
This is on my manual daily driver so spool needs to be reasonable, even more so than hitting my 600hp.
Also I would love to play with this more and create a custom setup but for right now I was going to go with an off-the-shelf-ish turbo.
I did dyno with the current 62/74 and supposedly I just touched 600hp and what ever power its currently making is enough for me. The reason I'm looking into a new turbo is my current turbo failed after my attempted rebuild. It also has different bearings then a stock s300 and industrial wont sell a kit for it (they want it sent back to them) so i tried rebuilding it with a kit for a slightly different turbo and now im here.

So from what I read the compressor size always seems to determine the max flow and the larger the laggier but I'm still a little fuzzy on the correlations between the turbine size and spool.

If you were faced with choosing between a 62/74 and 64/68 which would you choose?

I may take your advice and get close to your suggestion with a 63/74 0.91 twin scroll.
I want one of these SX-E turbos and will use the speed sensor to log where I'm running on the map.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
tcalvin

Name: tcalvin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
compressors

turbines

housings

A 62mm S300 most certainly will make over 600 hp with the right setup. Especially with the tuning capabilities that are available now. Back in 2008 I made 624hp on an 07 5.9 with an II Silver 62/74 with old school box tuning via Smarty/MP8. That same 62mm charger with nitrous and an external gate, made over 800hp.

You're also very wrong about the S369sxe, as I'm currently running one on a 6.7 at 650+hp and have been for over 20k miles.

I see no reason at all why a 362 SXE with a t4 .91 housing on a 06-07 CR wouldn't easily do 650+ or better with, the proper fueling and tuning. The towing manners of the 62mm chargers on the 5.9 are quite great as well.

OP: A 62-63/71 charger with the old style clipped wheel would be hard pressed to match the spool up of a S362sxe with the unclipped 73mm turbine wheel and would lack the cooling capability of the larger turbine wheel in the SXE charger. I'd recommend any of the sxe S300 chargers for your goal hp. The 64.5mm sxe would leave you some growing room, if and when 600hp is no longer enough. Don't be afraid of the t4 .91 exhaust housings either; especially when paired with a 2nd gen style t4 manifold.

Last edited by tcalvin; 05-05-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
arinkuddy

Member`s Gallery
So I pulled the trigger already on the 63/74 0.91.

I wanted the kit so I would have everything I needed to get back up and running. I also wanted the 2nd gen style manifold.

I'm glad to get all the input btw!

Also i ordered an EFR speed sensor from eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-...&soutkn=6cFf7N

I'm assuming that these are compatable.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
tcalvin

Name: tcalvin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkuddy View Post
So I pulled the trigger already on the 63/74 0.91.

I wanted the kit so I would have everything I needed to get back up and running. I also wanted the 2nd gen style manifold.

I'm glad to get all the input btw!

Also i ordered an EFR speed sensor from eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-...&soutkn=6cFf7N

I'm assuming that these are compatable.

Honestly, I don't think the speed sensor kit is necessary at all, and you'll have to drill the hole in the housing to install it anyway and setup some sort of way to monitor that sensor output. They don't ship with that speed sensor port pre drilled all the way into the housing. You'll be able to tell via boost/egt how happy your charger is, especially at your hp level.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
arinkuddy

Member`s Gallery
Yeah I know that speed sensor is mainly just to feed my OCD with more data on how things are running.

I am not getting a gauge right now I plan on building one in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 05-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Hdhorton

Name: Hdhorton
Title: Too broke to go fast
Member`s Gallery
Could’ve went with the s364.5sxe as well. I had a 64.5/68/.83 t4 non gated on my last vp truck. Spooled crazy good and made a little over 650whp with 6x13’s in it. And also my buddy had a 369 on his common rail and dyno’d 705hp and he ran it for a good while before he sold it with no problems at all. Just my 2 cents though

Closed Thread