Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
HPTuners vs MM3

Now that I have tuned my personal truck (2003) with both HPTuners and MM3(Smarty UDC pro), I wanted to go over a few of my experiences from both the tuners prospective and the end users perspective.

First, a little bit about me/my truck. I have been playing with my own truck tuning via custom software for about 2.5 years. I am by NO means anywhere close to an expert on any of this. The truck I have is a 2003 5.9L CR. It has had several different turbos to dial in, setup to spin plenty of Rs, blah blah.

Now we can start with the tuners prospective- Both softwares are fairly easy to use, they just have their own little quirks. Basically all the same usual tables are in both softwares, and I would venture to guess they have the capability to make nearly identical power. The selection style for highlighting cells is a little goofy in MM3, beings its not a highlight and drag like you would find in excel, to select a large square to edit, you highlight the column height and use a side button to select rows. The smoothing tool in both seems to work pretty equally well, just slightly different between programs. My only complaint with MM3 is that the software interface screen looks kinda lower quality than HPT, but that is completely personal preference.

Data logging for the tuner (in person obviously) is much nicer on the MM3. Its as simple as clicking through on the monitor and launch the logging, and also during logging with the MM3 you can tap on the screen and make a mark in the logs, which I found useful for reducing smoke and fixing a rail pop issue. HPTuners logging software is a little more nicely setup and has some more options for gauge displays and showing graphs while driving which is definitely nice to have. Again, the logging interface of the MM3 doesn't look as nice in my opinion as HPT. MM3 currently does not offer external I/O, which is something I would like to see added. They both again seem to accomplish the same job, but transporting nothing more than a micro USB from truck to office is REALLY nice.

As for the end user, I think the MM3 has a huge leg up in a few ways. First, flash times with the MM3 are about 3 minutes vs HPT they are about 5 minutes. When flashing in the cold or not on a charger, this has been really nice to have the MM3. ECMs seem to be extremely picky about temp and voltage level when flashing a tune. Ive had a few times in the cold that I really had to fight to get the truck to successfully flash while using HPT. Other than flash times, you get a monitor with the MM3 vs not having one with HPT. I have found myself ALOT constantly playing with the monitor to watch various things, even as simple as exact coolant temp or fuel percentage. Not to mention, if you run into any sort of issue, you can log every PID available with a few clicks of the monitor. Again, a perk is not needing to carry your laptop out to change anything or log, just pop the microSD out and go inside to look at logs.

This is all purely based on use with an early CR, so there currently is not any SOTF or real time abilitys to discuss.

I am not posting this to necessarily persuade one way or the other, I just wanted to share my experience, as I know tuning can certainly be a confusing and expensive modification for alot of people. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
THANK YOU!
I’ve been trying to read and compare between the two softwares lately for when I’m ready to tune my 05 CR. Your shared information is perfect.

And that’s one hell of a first post. Other first timers should take note.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 02-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Member`s Gallery
I think MM3, hp tuners and efi live all make the same amount of power. There are a few you tube videos floating around with a comparison on a dyno.

If you are looking for a monitor and tuner all in one I would go with the MM3.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Mm3 is ok, graphics are garbage and it’s touchscreen reminds me of the original CTS. If my truck wasn’t an 05, I would have purchased Efi Live and CTS2.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
I very much agree the graphics and interface layout are kinda sub-par with the MM3 software and the touch screen device itself.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
cshane

Name: cshane
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
My question is doesn't mm3 use the smarty udc tuning? And hasn't that been around for a while and people choose hp over udc, so is it just the monitor and gauges that make it nicer? or is the tuning capabilities better too?

Last edited by cshane; 02-19-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #7
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshane View Post
My question is doesn't mm3 use the smarty udc tuning? And hasn't that been around for a while and people choose hp over udc, so is it just the monitor and gauges that make it nicer? or is the tuning capabilities better too?
Mm3 vs hp tuners is damn near identical in my novice tuning knowledge but mm3 changes tunes on the fly and takes about 10seconds

Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Yes the mm3 uses smarty UDC pro RT software, which is new as of 2016 iirc. You are probably thinking of the old UDC tuning that was used years ago and was put on smarty S06 programmers.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
As far as capabilities, as far as I can tell, i have just as much control with the UDC pro software as I do with HPT.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
cshane

Name: cshane
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Ok, cool that's what I was wondering. Yea I was thinking of the old UDC that was used for so6 wasn't aware of the new software. Thanks

Old 03-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #11
Broaner

Name: Broaner
Title: Been There n Broke That
Member`s Gallery
Love my MMtree for all the same reasons you listed. Logging is amazingly simple. Switching tunes on the fly is fairly quick too. Yeah it could be quicker but usually 10-15 seconds aint a big deal. Also like that I don't need a PC to do anything related to the transfer of tunes and logs.

I could care less about resolution and I really don't notice it being too bad but thats more because I came straight from a CTS and not a CTS2.

Last edited by Broaner; 03-01-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Closed Thread