Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #1261
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Help From His Spirit

January 3, 2014 — by Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Our Daily Bread Radio is hosted by Les Lamborn
Read: Micah 6:3-8
What does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? —Micah 6:8
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 7-9; Matthew 3
Many of us make promises to ourselves to mark the beginning of a new year. We make pledges such as I’m going to save more, exercise more, or spend less time on the Internet. We begin the year with good intentions, but before long old habits tempt us to take up our old ways. We slip up occasionally, then more frequently, and then all the time. Finally, it’s as if our resolution never existed.

Instead of choosing our own self-improvement goals, a better approach might be to ask ourselves: “What does the Lord desire of me?” Through the prophet Micah, God has revealed that He wants us to do what is right, to be merciful, and to walk humbly with Him (Mic. 6:8). All of these things relate to soul-improvement rather than self-improvement.

Thankfully, we don’t have to rely on our own strength. The Holy Spirit has the power to help us as believers in our spiritual growth. God’s Word says, He is able to “strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being” (Eph. 3:16 niv).

So as we begin a new year, let’s resolve to be more Christlike. The Spirit will help us as we seek to walk humbly with God.

Truthful Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would truthful be;
And with wisdom kind and clear
Let Thy life in mine appear. —Lynch
He who has the Holy Spirit as his resource has already won the victory.

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #1262
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Night No One Came

January 6, 2014 — by Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Matthew 6:1-7
Do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. —Matthew 6:1
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 16-17; Matthew 5:27-48
One winter night composer Johann Sebastian Bach was scheduled to debut a new composition. He arrived at the church expecting it to be full. Instead, he learned that no one had come. Without missing a beat, Bach told his musicians that they would still perform as planned. They took their places, Bach raised his baton, and soon the empty church was filled with magnificent music.

This story made me do some soul-searching. Would I write if God were my only audience? How would my writing be different?

New writers are often advised to visualize one person they are writing to as a way of staying focused. I do this when I write devotionals; I try to keep readers in mind because I want to say something they will want to read and that will help them on their spiritual journey.

I doubt that the “devotional writer” David, whose psalms we turn to for comfort and encouragement, had “readers” in mind. The only audience he had in mind was God.

Whether our “deeds,” mentioned in Matthew 6, are works of art or acts of service, we should keep in mind that they’re really between us and God. Whether or not anyone else sees does not matter. He is our audience.

That my ways might show forth Your glory,
That You, dear Lord, greatly deserve!
With Your precious blood You’ve redeemed me—
In all my days, You I would serve! —Somerville
Serve for an audience of one.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #1263
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
resource

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #1264
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Words That Help And Heal

January 7, 2014 — by David C. McCasland
Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Matthew 6:5-15
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. —Matthew 6:9
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 18-19; Matthew 6:1-18
On November 19, 1863, two well-known men gave speeches at the dedication of the Soldiers’ National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The featured speaker, Edward Everett, was a former congressman, governor, and president of Harvard University. Considered one of the greatest orators of his day, Mr. Everett delivered a formal address lasting 2 hours. He was followed by President Abraham Lincoln, whose speech lasted 2 minutes.

Today, Lincoln’s speech, the Gettysburg Address, is widely known and quoted, while Everett’s words have almost been forgotten. It is not just Lincoln’s eloquent brevity that accounts for this. On that occasion, his words touched the wounded spirit of a nation fractured by civil war, offering hope for the days to come.

Words do not have to be many to be meaningful. What we call the Lord’s Prayer is among the shortest and most memorable of all the teachings of Jesus. It brings help and healing as it reminds us that God is our heavenly Father whose power is at work on earth, just as it is in heaven (Matt. 6:9-10). He provides food, forgiveness, and fortitude for each day (vv.11-13). And all honor and glory belong to Him (v.13). There is nothing in our past, present, and future that is not included in our Lord’s brief words that help and heal.

How easy it is to use many words
And give little thought to the things you say;
So willingly yield your lips to the Lord
And hearts will be blest by them every day. —D. DeHaan
Kind words smooth, and quiet, and comfort the hearer. —Blaise Pascal

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #1265
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Hidden Life

January 8, 2014 — by David H. Roper

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Colossians 3:12-17
Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus. —Colossians 3:17
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 20-22; Matthew 6:19-34
Some years ago, I came across a poem by George MacDonald titled, “The Hidden Life.” It tells the story of an intellectually gifted young Scot who turned his back on a prestigious academic career to return to his aging father and to the family farm. There he engaged in what MacDonald called, “ordinary deeds” and “simple forms of human helpfulness.” His friends lamented what they saw as a waste of his talents.

Perhaps you too serve in some unnoticed place, doing nothing more than ordinary deeds. Others might think that’s a waste. But God wastes nothing. Every act of love rendered for His sake is noted and has eternal consequences. Every place, no matter how small, is holy ground. Influence is more than lofty acts and words. It can be a simple matter of human helpfulness: being present, listening, understanding the need, loving, and praying. This is what turns daily duty into worship and service.

The apostle Paul challenged the Colossians: “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,” and “do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance” (Col. 3:17,23-24). God takes notice and delights in using us.

Dear Lord, may I be willing to be hidden and unknown
today, yet ready to speak a word to those who are
weary. May Your Spirit touch my words and make
them Your words that enrich and refresh others.
The way to accomplish much for Christ is to serve Him in any way we can.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #1266
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
As Below, So Above

January 9, 2014 — by Philip Yancey

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Luke 24:44-53
You are witnesses of these things. . . . but tarry in the city . . . until you are endued with power from on high. —Luke 24:48-49
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 23-24; Matthew 7
The Roman paganism of Jesus’ day taught that the actions of gods in the heavens above affected the earth below. If Zeus got angry, thunderbolts shot out. “As above, so below,” went the ancient formula.

Jesus, though, sometimes inverted that. He taught: As below, so above. A believer prays, and heaven responds. A sinner repents, and the angels rejoice. A mission succeeds, and God is glorified. A believer rebels, and the Holy Spirit is grieved.

I believe these things, yet somehow I keep forgetting them. I forget that my prayers matter to God. I forget that the choices I make today bring delight or grief to the Lord of the universe. I forget that I am helping my neighbors to their eternal destinations.

The good-news message of God’s love that Jesus brought to this earth we can now bring to others. That was the challenge He gave His disciples before ascending to His Father (see Matt. 28:18-20). We who follow Jesus serve as an extension of His incarnation and ministry. It is why He came to earth. Before He left, He told His disciples that He would send His Spirit from above to them below (Luke 24:48). He did not leave us alone. He fills us with His power that we might touch lives here below to affect eternity.

You ascended before our eyes, and we turned back grieving, only to find You in our hearts. —Augustine

Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #1267
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
For The Long Run

January 10, 2014 — by Marvin Williams

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: James 5:7-11
Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. —James 5:7
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 25-26; Matthew 8:1-17
A 2006 survey of more than 1,000 adults discovered that most people take an average of 17 minutes to lose their patience while waiting in line. Also, most people lose their patience in only 9 minutes while on hold on the phone. Impatience is a common trait.

James wrote to a group of believers who were struggling with being patient for Jesus’ return (James 5:7). They were living under exploitation and distressing times, and James encouraged them to “set the timer of their temper” for the long run. Challenging these believers to persevere under suffering, he tried to stimulate them to stand firm and to live sacrificially until the Lord returned to right every wrong. He wrote: “Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand” (v.8).

James called them to be like the farmer who waits patiently for the rain and the harvest (v.7) and like the prophets and the patriarch Job who demonstrated perseverance in difficulties (vv.10-11). The finish line was just ahead and James encouraged the believers not to give up.

When we are being tried in a crucible of distress, God desires to help us continue living by faith and trusting in His compassion and mercy (v.11).

For Further Thought
What is most difficult about being patient during
stressful times? Ask God for the grace to help
you live by faith and to live for the long run.
The way to great patience is through great trials.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #1268
estrada5.9

Name: estrada5.9
Member`s Gallery
I have heard praying for patience is not a good idea as God will give you situations to practice being patient.

Thanks for what you do.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1269
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Thank you. Hope you have a great week.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1270
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Much More Than Survival

January 13, 2014 — by C. P. Hia

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: 1 Thessalonians 2:17–3:7
Timothy has come to us from you, and brought us good news of your faith and love. —1 Thessalonians 3:6
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 31-32; Matthew 9:18-38
In April 1937, Mussolini’s invading armies forced all the missionaries serving in the Wallamo region to flee Ethiopia. They left behind just 48 Christian converts, who had little more than the gospel of Mark to feed their growth. Few even knew how to read. But when the missionaries returned 4 years later, the church had not just survived; it numbered 10,000!

When the apostle Paul was forced to leave Thessalonica (see Acts 17:1-10), he yearned to learn about the survival of the small band of Christians he left behind (1 Thess. 2:17). But when Timothy visited the Thessalonian church later, he brought word to Paul in Athens about their “faith and love” (1 Thess. 3:6). They had become “examples” to the believers in the surrounding regions in Macedonia and Achaia (1 Thess. 1:8).

Paul never claimed credit for any numerical increase in his ministry. Nor did he attribute it to anyone else. Rather, he gave credit to God. He wrote, “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase” (1 Cor. 3:6).

Difficult circumstances may thwart even our best intentions, separating friends from each other for a season. But God is growing His church through every difficulty. We need only be faithful and leave the results to Him.

Lord, we are so prone to be fearful when we face
opposition, yet so often we want to take credit
for every little success. Help us see that You are
the One who blesses and builds Your church.
I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. —Jesus (Matthew 16:18)

Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #1271
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Sweet Rest

January 14, 2014 — by David C. Egner

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Psalm 4
You have put gladness in my heart. —Psalm 4:7
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 33-35; Matthew 10:1-20
Try as we might—tossing, turning, fluffing the pillow, pounding the pillow—sometimes we just can’t fall asleep. After offering some good suggestions on how to get a better night’s sleep, a news article concluded that there really is no “right way” to sleep.

There are numerous reasons why sleep eludes us, many of which we can’t do much about. But sometimes unwanted wakefulness is caused by anxious thoughts, worry, or guilt. It’s then that the example of David in Psalm 4 can help. He called out to God, asking for mercy and for God to hear his prayer (v.1). He also reminded himself that the Lord does hear him when he calls on Him (v.3). David encourages us: “Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still” (v.4). Focusing our minds on the goodness, mercy, and love of God for His world, our loved ones, and ourselves can aid us in trusting the Lord (v.5).

The Lord desires to help us set aside our worries about finding solutions to our problems and place our trust in Him to work things out. He can “put gladness” in our hearts (v.7), so that we might “lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make [us] dwell in safety” (v.8).

Give me a spirit of peace, dear Lord,
Midst the storms and the tempests that roll,
That I may find rest and quiet within,
A calm buried deep in my soul. —Dawe
Even when we cannot sleep, God can give us rest.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #1272
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Food In The Cupboard

January 15, 2014 — by Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Matthew 6:25-34
Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about . . . what you will put on. —Matthew 6:25
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 36-38; Matthew 10:21-42
My friend Marcia, the director of the Jamaica Christian School for the Deaf, recently illustrated an important way to look at things. In a newsletter article she titled “A Blessed Start,” she pointed out that for the first time in 7 years the school began the new year with a surplus. And what was that surplus? A thousand dollars in the bank? No. Enough school supplies for the year? No. It was simply this: A month’s supply of food in the cupboard.

When you’re in charge of feeding 30 hungry kids on a shoestring budget, that’s big! She accompanied her note with this verse from 1 Chronicles 16:34, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.”

Year after year Marcia trusts God to provide for the children and staff at her school. She never has much—whether it’s water or food or school supplies. Yet she is always grateful for what God sends, and she is faithful to believe that He will continue to provide.

As we begin a new year, do we have faith in God’s provision? To do so is to take our Savior at His word when He said, “Do not worry about your life . . . . Do not worry about tomorrow” (Matt. 6:25,34).

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength. —Corrie ten Boom

Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #1273
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Little Tent

January 16, 2014 — by David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Colossians 1:1-12; 4:12
For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell. —Colossians 1:19
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 39-40; Matthew 11
During evangelist Billy Graham’s historic 1949 Los Angeles campaign, the big tent that held over 6,000 people was filled to overflowing every night for 8 weeks. Close by was a smaller tent set aside for counseling and prayer. Cliff Barrows, longtime music director and close friend and associate of Graham, has often said that the real work of the gospel took place in “the little tent,” where people gathered on their knees to pray before and during every evangelistic service. A local Los Angeles woman, Pearl Goode, was the heart of those prayer meetings and many that followed.

In the apostle Paul’s letter to the followers of Christ in Colosse, he assured them that he and his colleagues were praying always for them (Col. 1:3,9). In closing he mentioned Epaphras, a founder of the Colossian church, who is “always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God” (4:12).

Some people are given the high visibility task of preaching the gospel in “the big tent.” But God has extended to us all, just as He did to Epaphras and Pearl Goode, the great privilege of kneeling in “the little tent” and bringing others before the throne of God.

They labor well who intercede
For others with a pressing need;
It’s on their knees they often work
And from its rigor will not shirk. —D. DeHaan
Prayer is not preparation for the work, it is the work. —Oswald Chambers

Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #1274
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
January 17, 2014 — by Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
The things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. —2 Corinthians 4:18
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 41-42; Matthew 12:1-23
Fanny Crosby lost her sight as an infant. Yet, amazingly, she went on to become one of the most well-known lyricists of Christian hymns. During her long life, she wrote over 9,000 hymns. Among them are such enduring favorites as “Blessed Assurance” and “To God Be the Glory.”

Some people felt sorry for Fanny. A well-intentioned preacher told her, “I think it is a great pity that the Master did not give you sight when He showered so many other gifts upon you.” It sounds hard to believe, but she replied: “Do you know that if at birth I had been able to make one petition, it would have been that I was born blind? . . . Because when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior.”

Fanny saw life with an eternal perspective. Our problems look different in light of eternity: “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2 Cor. 4:17-18).

All our trials dim when we remember that one glorious day we will see Jesus!

Dear God, please help us to see this life
from a heavenly perspective. Remind us that
our trials, however difficult, will one day fade
from view when we see You face to face.
The way we view eternity will affect the way we live in time.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #1275
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
True Greatness

January 20, 2014 — by Vernon C. Grounds

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Mark 10:35-45
Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. —Mark 10:43
Bible in a Year:
Genesis 49-50; Matthew 13:31-58
Some people feel like a small pebble lost in the immensity of a canyon. But no matter how insignificant we judge ourselves to be, we can be greatly used by God.

In a sermon early in 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. quoted Jesus’ words from Mark 10 about servanthood. Then he said, “Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don’t have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. . . . You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.”

When Jesus’ disciples quarreled about who would get the places of honor in heaven, He told them: “Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many” (Mark 10:43-45).

I wonder about us. Is that our understanding of greatness? Are we gladly serving, doing tasks that may be unnoticed? Is the purpose of our serving to please our Lord rather than to gain applause? If we are willing to be a servant, our lives will point to the One who is truly great.

No service in itself is small,
None great, though earth it fill;
But that is small that seeks its own,
And great that does God’s will. —Anon.
Little things done in Christ’s name are great things.
Insight

Today’s reading reveals the ugliness of self-promotion. This spiritual cancer has plagued the human race since the fall. The remedy to pride is in following Jesus’ model of servanthood. He is the embodiment of a leader who served and a servant who led. Our desire should be to do the same.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #1276
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
In Harmony

January 21, 2014 — by Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: 1 Peter 4:7-11
As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. —1 Peter 4:10
Bible in a Year:
Exodus 1-3; Matthew 14:1-21
I love playing the 5-string banjo. But it has one drawback. The fifth string will harmonize with only a limited number of simple chords. When other musicians want to play more complicated music, the banjoist has to adapt. He can lend marvelous melodic tones to a jam session only by making the right adjustments.

Just as musicians adjust with their instruments, we as believers also need to make adjustments with our spiritual gifts if we want to harmonize with others to serve God. For instance, those who have the gift of teaching must coordinate with those who have the gift of organizing meetings and with those who make sure meeting rooms are set up and cleaned. All of us have spiritual gifts, and we must work together if God’s work is to get done.

The apostle Peter said, “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God” (1 Peter 4:10). Stewardship requires cooperation. Think about your spiritual gifts (Rom. 12; 1 Cor. 12; Eph. 4; 1 Peter 4). Now reflect on how you can dovetail their use with the gifts of other believers. When our talents are used in a complementary way, the result is harmony and glory to God.

Without a note we sing in tune,
An anthem loud we bring,
When willingly we give our gifts
Of labor to our King. —Branon
Keeping in tune with Christ keeps harmony in the church.
Insight

The Bible Reader’s Companion provides these helpful insights into today’s reading: “Peter has described the pagan’s choice: to satisfy their human desires. He now describes the lifestyle that pagans can make no sense of, but which reflects the will of God for His people. This includes: self-control, prayer, mutual love, unstinting hospitality, using gifts for the benefit of others, serving wholeheartedly and ‘with the strength God provides.’”

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #1277
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Bricks Without Straw

January 22, 2014 — by Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: Exodus 6:1-13
I will rescue you . . . , and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm. —Exodus 6:6
Bible in a Year:
Exodus 4-6; Matthew 14:22-36
Many of us face the challenge of working with limited resources. Equipped with less money, less time, dwindling energy, and fewer helpers, our workload may remain the same. Sometimes, it even increases. There’s a saying that sums up this predicament: “More bricks, less straw.”

This phrase refers to the Israelites’ hardship as slaves in Egypt. Pharaoh decided to stop supplying them with straw, yet he required them to make the same number of bricks each day. They scoured the land to find supplies, while Pharaoh’s overseers beat them and pressured them to work harder (Ex. 5:13). The Israelites became so discouraged that they didn’t listen when God said through Moses, “I will rescue you . . . , and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm” (6:6).

Although the Israelites refused to hear God’s message, God was still guiding and directing Moses, preparing him to speak to Pharaoh. God remained firmly on Israel’s side—at work behind the scenes. Like the Israelites, we can become so downhearted that we ignore encouragement. In dark times, it’s comforting to remember that God is our deliverer (Ps. 40:17). He is always at work on our behalf, even if we can’t see what He is doing.

Lord, please help me to trust You despite my
discouragement. I invite You to fill me with
hope through the power of Your Holy Spirit.
Let my life testify of Your faithfulness.
Times of trouble are times for trust.
Insight

Today’s reading anticipates that Pharaoh will pit himself against the living God. Inevitably, when a human heart stubbornly rebels against the sovereign God, conflict ensues. Fallen human beings still continue their rebellion against Him. Yet there is hope through the offer of redemption to all who repent and believe (John 1:12).

Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #1278
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Load Line

January 23, 2014 — by Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Read: 1 Peter 5:5-9
Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. —1 Peter 5:6-7
Bible in a Year:
Exodus 7-8; Matthew 15:1-20
In the 19th century, ships were often recklessly overloaded, resulting in those ships going down and the crews being lost at sea. In 1875, to remedy this negligent practice, British politician Samuel Plimsoll led the charge for legislation to create a line on the side of a ship to show if it was carrying too much cargo. That “load line” became known as the Plimsoll Line, and it continues to mark the hulls of ships today.

Sometimes, like those ships, our lives can seem overloaded with fears, struggles, and heartaches. We can even feel that we are in danger of going under. In those times, however, it is reassuring to remember that we have a remarkable resource. We have a heavenly Father who stands ready to help us carry that load. The apostle Peter said, “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:6-7). He is capable of handling the cares that overwhelm us.

Though the testings of life may feel like a burden too heavy to bear, we can have full assurance that our heavenly Father loves us deeply and knows our load limits. Whatever we face, He will help us to bear it.

Heavenly Father, I sometimes feel as if I can’t go
on. I am tired, I am weak, and I am worn. Thank You
that You know my limits better than I do. And that, in
Your strength, I can find the enablement to endure.
God may lead us into troubled waters to deepen our trust in Him.
Insight

Peter wrote from his own experience when he warned that “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (v.5). When foretold that he would deny Jesus (Matt. 26:34; Luke 22:31-34), Peter boasted that he would never betray Him (Matt. 26:35). In his pride, Peter underestimated the severity of his trial and overestimated his ability to deal with the pressure (vv.69-75). Thirty years later, he exhorted his readers to be humble (1 Peter 5:5). Because God resists the proud (v.5), Scripture repeatedly warns of the danger of pride (Prov. 11:2; 29:23; Isa. 2:11-12; Obad. 1:3-4; James 4:6-7).

Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #1279
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Wonder Of The Cross
January 27, 2014 — by Bill Crowder

Read: Hebrews 12:1-4
[Look] unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross. —Hebrews 12:2
Bible in a Year:
Exodus 16-18; Matthew 18:1-20
While visiting Australia, I had the opportunity on a particularly clear night to see the Southern Cross. Located in the Southern Hemisphere, this constellation is one of the most distinctive. Mariners and navigators began relying on it as early as the 15th century for direction and navigation through the seas. Although relatively small, it is visible throughout most of the year. The Southern Cross was so vivid on that dark night that even I could pick it out of the bundle of stars. It was truly a magnificent sight!

The Scriptures tell us of an even more magnificent cross—the cross of Christ. When we look at the stars, we see the handiwork of the Creator; but when we look at the cross, we see the Creator dying for His creation. Hebrews 12:2 calls us to “[look] unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

The wonder of Calvary’s cross is that while we were still in our sins, our Savior died for us (Rom. 5:8). Those who place their trust in Christ are now reconciled to God, and He navigates them through life (2 Cor. 1:8-10).

Christ’s sacrifice on the cross is the greatest of all wonders!

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride. —Watts
Christ’s cross provides the only safe crossing into eternity.
Insight

The writer of Hebrews paints a picture of an athletic competition, using the metaphor of a long-distance foot race to exhort believers to endure and persevere in the life of faith (vv.1-2). The apostle Paul also often used the idea of the race to speak of the challenges of living the Christian life (1 Cor. 9:24-27; Gal. 5:7; Phil. 3:13-14; 2 Tim. 4:7). The constant call is this: “Don’t give up. Keep your eyes on the finish line and finish the race!” The runner who completes the race will receive his reward (1 Cor. 9:25; 2 Tim. 4:8; 1 Peter 5:4; Rev. 2:10).

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #1280
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Great Expectations
January 29, 2014 — by Joe Stowell

Read: Philippians 1:12-21
According to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified. —Philippians 1:20
Bible in a Year:
Exodus 21-22; Matthew 19
I once asked a counselor what the major issues were that brought people to him. Without hesitation he said, “The root of many problems is broken expectations; if not dealt with, they mature into anger and bitterness.”

In our best moments, it’s easy to expect that we will find ourselves in a good place surrounded by good people who like and affirm us. But life has a way of breaking those expectations. What then?

Stuck in jail and beset by fellow believers in Rome who didn’t like him (Phil. 1:15-16), Paul remained surprisingly upbeat. As he saw it, God had given him a new mission field. While under house arrest, he witnessed to the guards about Christ, which sent the gospel into Caesar’s house. And even though those opposing him were preaching the gospel from wrong motives, Christ was being preached, so Paul rejoiced (v.18).

Paul never expected to be in a great place or to be well liked. His only expectation was that “Christ will be magnified” through him (v.20). He wasn’t disappointed.

If our expectation is to make Christ visible to those around us regardless of where we are or who we are with, we will find those expectations met and even exceeded. Christ will be magnified.

Lord, forgive me for making my life all about what
I expect and not about glorifying You regardless
of my circumstances. May Your love, mercy,
and justice be magnified through me today.
Make it your only expectation to magnify Christ wherever you are and whoever you are with.
Insight

In this passage, Paul rejoiced that God used his imprisonment “for the furtherance of the gospel.” It gave him the rare opportunity to preach to “the whole palace guard, and to all the rest” (v.13). Encouraged by Paul’s example, many Roman Christians were emboldened to share the gospel without fear (v.14). Paul testified to the truth that “all things work together for good to those who love God” (Rom. 8:28).

Closed Thread