!2 valve to Commen Rail

Schoust

Ok guy's I am looking at moving to a third gen. and I was curious what I should start thinking about for performance options on this type of truck? I need room for the familly but I sure don't want that to hurt my performance! My plans are to buy a stock 04 through 06 what ever I feel is the best deal and figure the performance parts into the price of the truck. So I need to know what would give me the most bang for the buck as far as electronics go? I don't know a thing about them so I will be going by what oipinions I get here. Let me know what you guy's think. Thanks Ralph

1st- Gauges (pyro, boost, trans and FUEL PRESSURE!)
2nd-Intake and exhaust, at least 4 inch.
3rd- Programmer/chip-I've heard good things about the diablosport predator/powerpuck combo. Probably need to give the trans some beef before that though.

up to an 04 has the 305hp 555tq Cummins
04.5-05 have the 325hp 600tq
06-07 have the 325hp 610tq Engine

If it were me I would atleast find a 04.5. Programs such as the 230hp "Crazy Larry" will only work on the 04.5 and up. Those years also come factory with full 4" exhaust. Just cut the muffler off and be done with it. You can cut off the Cat also, but you will have hte anoying "Drone" sound through the exhaust. I know quite a few people who have stacked the Bully Dog with the 230 Crazy larry tune, and a TST Comp CR box, added a FASS Fuel system and made right at 500HP and around 900TQ to the Wheels. Although you will not want to run the truck at this setting at all times. Only to take care of a ricer at a few stop lights and possibly at a sled pull. The great thing about the Bully Dog programmer is that it is a "shift on the fly" tuner. You do not have to shut the truck off and wait just to reprogram the ECM. You can do that going down the road just like a fueling box. Though you do not have to get a Bully Dog tuner. There are alot of Stacking combo's out there. But every truck is different. I have seen the same stacking combo on multiple trucks, and some make more power than other. Some trucks do not even like the same combo as another truck will. You just need to research a little bit. I am actually swithing my setup and going with either a PPE Hot tuner, a Smarty, or the Van Aken C5 Tuner box stacked with a TST. Its all on what you like.

Now if you get an Automatic, you will absolutely have to either beef up you own, or buy a performance after market tranny and Tq Converter. A stock tranny will barley last with the Crazy Larry alone. On a six speed, you will need to upgrade the clutch as well. The stock clutch will hold for a while with just one bax as long as you do not turn it up all the time, but if you leave it stacked 24/7, then a dual disk is probably waht you will need. Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention that I have a 12 valve that i have been Bombing for a while so what I'm interested in are the electronics,whats the best bang for the buck? Also are the stock injecters good for a lot of power?? Or do they also need to be upgraded like the 12 valve? I think I read somwhere that the common rail is a completely differant animal when it comes to injecters???? I want to grab somthing if I see a good deal now before I buy the truck. Oh Guy's I'm officialy looking for an 04to 06 which ever has the most room for a familly vehical slash my Truck!!! Anyone selling or thinking about it??

Schoust said:
I forgot to mention that I have a 12 valve that i have been Bombing for a while so what I'm interested in are the electronics,whats the best bang for the buck? Also are the stock injecters good for a lot of power?? Or do they also need to be upgraded like the 12 valve? I think I read somwhere that the common rail is a completely differant animal when it comes to injecters???? I want to grab somthing if I see a good deal now before I buy the truck. Oh Guy's I'm officialy looking for an 04to 06 which ever has the most room for a familly vehical slash my Truck!!! Anyone selling or thinking about it??

I hope you're gonna hang on to your 12 valve. If my 12 valve was ready to roll again I'd sell you my 07 5.9 doolie.

My truck is forsale. All I have had on it is the Diablosport Predator tuner on the 90 hp setting. It goes up to 160 I think. The odometer say 123K miles on it right now. I have a new clutch on the way as well that I will install. Truck is an 04.5 3500 dually 4x4. Quad cab. Black ext/ black and gray int. Truck is in my Avatar. $23,500 and its yours.

Also I have an ATS 2 peice exhaust manifold that has been on the truck for about 2 months now, and it is goose neck ready.

ya Kino thats what I was looking for unfortunetly they still have weak tranys?? I figured that was being addressed with the newer trucks? I guess I figured wrong??

The NV5600 is stoughter than the nv4500 and the G6. I have a friend who has an 06 mega cab with quite few mods. He won the sled pull at the TS event in Bowing Green KY, went to Edmonton Ky for a KOTTPA pull and schattered his G6 about 100 ft out. He is now running a stock NV5600 and has had no problems. The NV5600's are good for atleast 600hp with no internal upgrades. The NV5600s were used from 01-05.5.

Actually Kino I think you misunderstood me I was talking about the Automatic trany's not the stick and I'm looking for a four door 8'bed 3/4 ton 4x4 this way everyone can ride in it when we need to go somewhere as a family and the wife can get a roller skat to drive back and fourth to work. What was the first year for the Mega Cab? Are the trucks before the mega cab big enough to put a family of five in them comfortably?? By the way Paul I would never sell my 12 valve I love that darn thing even though it needs a little body work and paint I just bought a new turbo for it and drive it daily and enjoy tinkering with it! As a matter of fact I am actually toying with buying another 12 valve engine and transplanting it in a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Expedition then I would have the best of both worlds!!

First year for the Mega was 06.

The newer 6 speed is a G56, not G6.....that's a little wimpy pontiac.

sry. I did It hought you were talking about the 6spds. The first year for megacabs were 06. The regular Quad cab 4 doors are still roomy enough for 5 people as long as no one is over 6ft tall. I would give everything I own for a Black on Black Mega-Cab :drool1: :rockwoot: The only thing I have against the MegaCabs are you can nly get them in a short bed, unless you get a conversion truck. Saw an 07 MegaCab Dually LONGBED at Schieds this year. Most beutiful truck ever
BlackMegacabDually.jpg

the internals of the G56 are just as strong, but the aluminum casing can not handle the abuse that the nv5600's cast iron casing can. Here are some carnage pics

Joshtranny2.jpg

joshtranny1.jpg

The obove pics caused this

Joshtranny5.jpg

Joshtranny4.jpg

joshtranny3.jpg

Back