How to Know when a Clutch Needs Rebuilt......

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
I will say that almost every truck I have had has been a manual with a South Bend clutch. Ive burned up a few, but this one is acting a bit weird.

Im not realy having any problems with it not holding, although this is a very low power truck compared to the others. But it came in the truck when I bought it and from what I was told its a 3600 solid hub DD. What it is doing is it is EXTREMLY loud, and by that I dont mean the normal rattle when the pedal is pushed in, I mean it sounds like a monkey is down there beating it with a hammer! This is even while it sits at idle. Weird part is, if its gets loud I can some times stab the pedal and it gets quieter. As time has gone on (30K miles) its just gotten worse.

Bad thing is, thats just one of the things it is doing. It is also getting a bit hard to get it into gear most of the time. Im not having to jam it into gear, more of having to work harder than what a normal truck should.

And the strangest symptom is that when taking off from a stop Ill start letting go of the pedal and it will start to move just fine, then jerk back into not grabbing. Let go of the pedal a little more and it will start moving again, but pretty dang jerky.

Now I dont know what is going on i.e. something else other than the clutch, but Ive never had a clutch do this before and not quite sure if it needs rebuilt.

Bosshawg, you couldn't pay me to put that clutch in my truck for a daily driver with lower power. Get that dang thing pulled out and give me a call. I will set you up with something much more suited for your needs.

Peter
800-988-4345

Back