a little more power from a kubota

dixon700

cummins fanatic
I have a 98 Kubota l2500 it has a 27hp 3cyl diesel. I wonder if there is anyway to get a little more power. It seems that from the factory it's not getting enough fuel. It's never real had any smoke output other than a little white here and there. So I figure adding a little fuel would be easiest. Can these be easily accomplished?

Is it a manual pump? If so there should be a throttle stop screw someplace. Be careful on a non turbo'd engine.

Ya, manual pump. I'm not shooting for pulling or anything, just would like a little more umph. I was thinking very small adjustments and when there is a slight black haze that's plenty of fuel. It just needs a little more power from time to time. Maybe I should look into a pyrometer? Lol get a 2k isspro for the truck and put my 1600 on the Kubota.

Yes you need a pyrometer. I fueled up my b2150 and if run a long time with a good load, like a 6 ft deck, it will push the water temp up. I set it so the EGT stay below 1100, but the radiator is my limiting factor.
Now, if you still need more power, find the rack stop at the front of the pump.
It will be covered with a tin cover you can pull off with fingers or a pliers.
Loosen the jam nut and back the screw out 1/2 a turn and try it. WATCH temps.
Mine wouldn't go over 750 degrees stock EGT.
To keep mine cool I remove the side covers in the summer!!!

I guess I'll have to look into a cheap pyrometer. So look for a small tin cover. I'd like to get a 2000* ev2 for my truck, but I don't think I want to put a $185 gauge on the Kubota. I'm guessing you don't want to take these n/a Kubota's past 1200*?

Last edited:
My coolant temperature has only came up a couple times after hard digging with the loader for multiple hours, plus since then I've cleaned out my radiator.

Back