Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Streetstock89

Name: Streetstock89
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
48RE Trans Issue

Hello everyone new to this site. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with the 5.9 and having issue with my 48RE. Same issue as posted by D45 under the same title only I am getting a check engine light. The code is P8660 (Low Pressure). I checked fluid level - good, changed the governor solenoid and pressure sensor twice no luck. First time worked for 7 months the second time all of 15 minutes. The check engine light with the low pressure code is making me wonder if my problem might be an internal one and not the solenoid or pressure sensor. I have not replaced the lock up harness though. And am wondering if it is the upgraded solenoid that is causing the problem and if I replaced it with the original one that came with the truck if that would solve this problem as well.

Symptoms: Check engine light Code P8660

Truck is in limp mode after fluid warms up.
Took to a shop and they verified that when the fluid warms up voltage pegs out at 5 volts and stays there.
Have guys saying that it is the ECU
Have guys saying it is the valve body
Have guys saying rebuild the trans
I can get the truck to work fine if I shift truck into neutral then manually put it into first and work my way up the gears.

Do not want to just throw parts at it as the ECU is 699, can get a valve body for 185.00 and a rebuild for 1400.00 but I have to pull the trans and bring it to him then put it back in.
Hate to do that and find out it is the ECU and don't want to go the ECU route if it is the Trans. Only have money for one or the other not both.

then I came across D45 post and if that is the problem that would save me big bucks.

any ideas or suggestions?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Streetstock89

Member`s Gallery
Check engine light code

Sorry I think I mixed up the check engine code numbers but it is for low pressure

Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Streetstock89

Member`s Gallery
Code

The code is P0868

Old 12-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Check main line pressure at the transmission. Plenty of information here or google on the transmission ports and locations. Make sure you have at pressure gauge good to 100 psi minimum. Main line pressure port is behind the front servo port. If you have a stock VB you should see 55 psi give or take a bit. It should be 90 psi at WOT. If you have a modded VB then call the builder of the VB.

If you are not seeing that and as you mentioned; solenoid and transducer have been changed. You may have a bad VB. The lube pressure regulator valve may be sticking. This happens mostly from the bore wearing which I have seen before.

Check this first before you spend any more money.

Last edited by raychem; 12-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Streetstock89

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychem View Post
Check main line pressure at the transmission. Plenty of information here or google on the transmission ports and locations. Make sure you have at pressure gauge good to 100 psi minimum. Main line pressure port is behind the front servo port. If you have a stock VB you should see 55 psi give or take a bit. It should be 90 psi at WOT. If you have a modded VB then call the builder of the VB.

If you are not seeing that and as you mentioned; solenoid and transducer have been changed. You may have a bad VB. The lube pressure regulator valve may be sticking. This happens mostly from the bore wearing which I have seen before.

Check this first before you spend any more money.
Thanks I shall do that over the holidays.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Streetstock89

Member`s Gallery
Pressures are good and I found out that the P0868 Code is high voltage which is the indications I was getting. Looks like an electrical issue somewhere. P0868 is low pressure for the 6.7 only. The 5.9 the code is high voltage.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Cflanery88

Name: Cflanery88
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Unplug the connector on the outside of the case to see if there is transmission fluid in it. The VB harness connectors are prone to cracking and leaking up through the pins causing all “shorts” of issues. It Put mine into limp mode and it would do exactly what you described above. Use to be like a 50/50 fail rate new out of the box a few years back I guess on the VB harnesses.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L, Wagler +.080 rods, Hobbit tuned, Exergy150% injectors,Polished s475/87 1:0 A/R Engineered Turbo Billet Wheel,arp625s,14mm main studs,PPE dual fuelers,Hamilton 188/220,extreme pushrods,Fleece bypass/drains/distribution block,110#springs.

Last edited by Cflanery88; 01-05-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Closed Thread