Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
F106 Steering axle - hp limit

At what point do you start to see failures up front with the stock 19 spline F106 axle shafts?

Planning on using a F106 for my ODL 3.0 truck build.

EATSOOT.com

Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
nick2001

Name: nick2001
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Anyone? I have a 106 steer waiting to go under my puller too

Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
what is your flange to flange measurement on your f106?

I did some measuring last night, stock D60 is 71", F106 with SCS hubs is 96" I think. With 20" wide wheels and cepeks would probably be okay, but with 10 or 12" wide wheels and 35/12.5/16's the entire tire is going to be outside the truck fender. Unless SCS makes different hubs with the flange set back inwards farther...

EATSOOT.com

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
nick2001

Member`s Gallery
I did some rough scaling the other day, and my thought was to shorten the long side axle to match the factory short. That way Id be able to use a stock short side replacement for breakage, and in the future Id have "custome axles" but they would be interchangeable side to side.

The only downfall I have with this idea is that the pumkin will be on center. This is going to cause issues with ride height. I wasnt planning on lifting the front, but it may have to be. The engine is out of my truck right now, so oil pan clearance is a guess for now. If you have any ideas for this id be intrested.

On another note, my 106 has warn manual locking hubs. Anybody have any info on them?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
BowtiedCTD

Name: BowtiedCTD
Title: CHIVE ON
Member`s Gallery
There is a Gasser pulling running around here with center F106s fron and rear and the truck is not far off from factory height. Granted its a 72 Chevy.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
PRINCETON_JAKE

Name: PRINCETON_JAKE
Member`s Gallery
on most of the rockwell axles me and freinds use in mud trucks you can remove the hub, flip it around, then pound out the studs and flip them. that will narrow the wms about 10" i think

Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
RyanB

Name: RyanB
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2001 View Post
I did some rough scaling the other day, and my thought was to shorten the long side axle to match the factory short. That way Id be able to use a stock short side replacement for breakage, and in the future Id have "custome axles" but they would be interchangeable side to side.

The only downfall I have with this idea is that the pumkin will be on center. This is going to cause issues with ride height. I wasnt planning on lifting the front, but it may have to be. The engine is out of my truck right now, so oil pan clearance is a guess for now. If you have any ideas for this id be intrested.

On another note, my 106 has warn manual locking hubs. Anybody have any info on them?
Whats the issue with the pumpkin being centered? turn the pan around and use a short sump....thats what our selves and all the tube frame trucks do! works great!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Do you guys have the FDS75 with coarse spline axles or are you doing the 106/military hybrid? Most of the guys that I have talked to are running the fine spline FDS75 or running the military hubs on a 106 with the fine spline military axles.

The 106 only has 1.75" diameter shafts...I can't see them lasting very long up front with a lot of weight and only 19 splines. The extra 1/4" diameter will help over the 60 stuff, but I can't see it being much better.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
Do you guys have the FDS75 with coarse spline axles or are you doing the 106/military hybrid? Most of the guys that I have talked to are running the fine spline FDS75 or running the military hubs on a 106 with the fine spline military axles.

The 106 only has 1.75" diameter shafts...I can't see them lasting very long up front with a lot of weight and only 19 splines. The extra 1/4" diameter will help over the 60 stuff, but I can't see it being much better.
I think the axle will hold plenty of hp, no comparison tto the weight on the rears. That .25 diameter adds a decent upgrade in strength.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
nick2001

Member`s Gallery
Yes, Mine is a fds75 19 spline. I plan on giving it what I got and crossing my fingers it will hold out till I can throw some cash at it. I wasnt to worried about the weight...(it is the weight) Has anyone tried running 19 splines?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
RyanB

Name: RyanB
Member`s Gallery
You would be supprised on these 4x4's running cut tires, how small of a front end you can get away with running. There is a Grand National truck running out in Quebec that has pulled in my area in the past that is running a custom 9" front, and it lives with out problems. In our class, there is a truck running a stock D70 front in our Super Mod class, and we are building our truck with a custom D80 up front.

The only major strees on the front end is probably in the first 50 or so feet and that is also pretty minimal.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
One of the mod trucks at Schieds was running a D70HD up front with D60 knuckles welded on. Surprised me a bit.

Most of the 3.0 class still had the D60 up front and F106's in back.

EATSOOT.com

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
Fordper4mance

Name: Fordper4mance
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
If anyone else is looking for this front end I have one in the classifieds.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Cummin_un_glued

Name: Cummin_un_glued
Member`s Gallery
i have a lead on one of these FDS75 axles and the guy says he will put a 6.20 chunk in it for me but i havnt got to see any pics of it yet. i have a few questions about them.

are they all disk brake and what size is the rotor on them? can the hubs be flipped like a 2.5 ton top load rockwell? looks like the factory rotors would have to be cut off to do so but didnt know if the bearings would allow for it anyways or is the only option to narrow the housing and center the diff?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummin_un_glued View Post
i have a lead on one of these FDS75 axles and the guy says he will put a 6.20 chunk in it for me but i havnt got to see any pics of it yet. i have a few questions about them.

are they all disk brake and what size is the rotor on them? can the hubs be flipped like a 2.5 ton top load rockwell? looks like the factory rotors would have to be cut off to do so but didnt know if the bearings would allow for it anyways or is the only option to narrow the housing and center the diff?
No they aren't all disk brakes, and I highly doubt you can flip the hubs - although I have not tried it. I wound up cutting at least a good 12" out of the driver side of the housing.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Cummin_un_glued

Name: Cummin_un_glued
Member`s Gallery
yeah i called performance pros a couple days after that post, they said somewhere around 14" to center it

Closed Thread