12V Intercooler upgrades, who has done it?

I was doing some maintenance on my truck and decided to pressure test my turbo piping and intake since I’ve noticed my power was a little down and EGT’s were higher than usual. Turns out my intercooler has got some massive leaks and I’m looking for any experiences / opinions on the performance intercoolers on the market. My truck mainly serves as a farm truck and tow rig these days, but it does push more than 60psi.

I’m most interested in either the Mishimoto or BD since they use factory style lower intercooler boots and I have Piers boots and Mikalor clamps that plays to my favor I think. But I have seen the HTT and On3 intercoolers and noticed they seem to have less restrictive connections but are 3” instead of 3-5/8”. Would that the change to 3” connections be worth it?

Has anyone here ever used or installed multiple different makes of intercoolers? Did one seem better quality or seem to let more air through for the radiator than another? Has any of y’all ever had an issue with an aftermarket upgraded intercooler ? Thanks for any input y’all

Last edited:
Stay away from BD in my opinion, mine cracked in 4 months, on3 is what a lot of friends run with good luck. I had a mitismoto one on a common rail and never had an issue either.

I've installed multiple BD and Banks coolers, never had an issue. Both fit great. Mishimoto stuff looks nice, but I've seen multiple radiators fail by cracking along the welds. But that was radiators, not intercooler. I've also used some cheaper brands like CX Racing, which worked fine. If I was buying one to install I would go BD based on my experience.

Garrett is probably the best core you can buy.
Griffin is very comparable.

Mishimoto is typically the best off the shelf you can buy. Amazing warranty service as well.

BD, and Banks are pretty good off the shelf and most people have great plug and play performance.

On3 has come a LONG LONG ways since ~10 years ago.

That's just some experience I've had directly and second hand.

I forget what I put in years ago, I know I did one cool twist, and one other...I think maybe a Spearco.

My factory coolers were leaking after many miles of abuse, and I didn't notice anything spectacular other than having to readjust wastegates because of the leaks that were no longer there.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback guys, I ended up ordering a Mishimoto. I pressured it up to 40psi last night just to make sure it didn’t somehow have a leak. I’ll be putting it in today, it looks really nice and weighs probably over double of what my old intercooler does.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I ended up ordering a Mishimoto. I pressured it up to 40psi last night just to make sure it didn’t somehow have a leak. I’ll be putting it in today, it looks really nice and weighs probably over double of what my old intercooler does.

Any updates on your new IC?

Back