Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > NADM
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Regional Racing Series???

Why not?

To be realistic there would be small growth at the start, but once word gets around- I feel it would benefit the racers and growth will happen.

Certainly there is Positives and Negatives to look at.

Exposure for the specialty shops in the regions. A racing forum for which local diesel folks to be involved in and help growth.

I just can't seem to understand why this has been abandoned and we are forced to travel all over the country. Fuel pricing doesn't seem to be coming around and I think it would be an ideal proposition to help growth albeit in a smaller scale from the start. I can certainly see it growing popular again, given the fuel costs, lodging, time away from family, time off from work ect.

What are your thoughts on regionals?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
CumminNotRunnin

Name: CumminNotRunnin
Title: Internet Mechanic
Member`s Gallery
Again compared to sled pulling you are seeing more and more regional event circuits popping up. This gives the competitor equal opportunity to gain knowledge and time behind the wheel before competing nationally.

That's one reason I've chosen shootout productions. They run a dozen events with in 4 Hrs of me. It still a points circuit so it makes it fun and competitive.

I think it would work well.

Sent from my Toilet Explorer

"A business that makes nothing but money, is a poor business."
-Henry Ford

Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminNotRunnin View Post
Again compared to sled pulling you are seeing more and more regional event circuits popping up. This gives the competitor equal opportunity to gain knowledge and time behind the wheel before competing nationally.

That's one reason I've chosen shootout productions. They run a dozen events with in 4 Hrs of me. It still a points circuit so it makes it fun and competitive.

I think it would work well.

A dozen events within 4hrs travel time is BADASS.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
Jeff the MD/PA/NJ area is perfect for a drag racing series with the number of tracks in the area. But like you and I saw at MIR the turn out just wasn't there.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
Jeff the MD/PA/NJ area is perfect for a drag racing series with the number of tracks in the area. But like you and I saw at MIR the turn out just wasn't there.
That's proof positive. But what if it was structured as regional club meets? Even like mentioned- a points system. I gotta be honest- Jake mentioned he has 12 events within 4 hrs of him- picture a diesel racing format like that.

I damn near have a woodie thinking about a diesel racing setup like that.

Wouldn't deter from the existing events in place either. Shoot those could be a double points race if it goes down in your region.........

No need to get into a scheduling issue with the tracks either- show up on their regular race days, run your chit, collect your points and go home.

Last edited by RacinDuallie; 02-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
Well heck Maryland has MIR, Capitol Raceway, Mason Dixon, 75-80, and Cecil county
Pa has a few tracks and so does NJ
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
CumminNotRunnin

Name: CumminNotRunnin
Title: Internet Mechanic
Member`s Gallery
Just look at B.A.S.S. They are competitive bass fishers that are broken down completely by state. Then offer regionals then nationals. And if you win nationals you get a free ride into the bass master classic.

Granted diesel racing and pulling are a long way off from that kind of setup but you get people to compete locally and consecutively then they have a goal and become consistent. Follow the rules and compete regionally and move through the levels. It could be great especially if you could incorporate pulling and racing same location same day and make it happen smoothly. This could bring the crowds and yet open peoples eyes to racing and get people to inquire about entering the sport. Plus I like the idea of focusing on local shop exposure. You might not need big sponsors to run local level events because I know of at least 1/2 dozen shops who would pay for exposure at a local event. Set up a annual booth rate at all the events. If they decide to come then that's up to them.

"A business that makes nothing but money, is a poor business."
-Henry Ford

Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Structured properly- I could see many potentials of a Regional Points System format.......

Last edited by RacinDuallie; 02-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminNotRunnin View Post

Granted diesel racing and pulling are a long way off from that kind of setup but you get people to compete locally and consecutively then they have a goal and become consistent. Follow the rules and compete regionally and move through the levels. It could be great especially if you could incorporate pulling and racing same location same day and make it happen smoothly. This could bring the crowds and yet open peoples eyes to racing and get people to inquire about entering the sport. Plus I like the idea of focusing on local shop exposure. You might not need big sponsors to run local level events because I know of at least 1/2 dozen shops who would pay for exposure at a local event. Set up a annual booth rate at all the events. If they decide to come then that's up to them.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I posted this in the other thread.

I believe the key is local tracks. NHRDA & or NADM members should be able to collect points running near home.
The way I see it, is to run points at the local level. For example, Pittsburgh raceway is my home track. I race Friday or Saturday and don't miss work. We'd race for points until say, September.
Then take the top ten (or however many the local region yields) in each class to a regional final, bringing regional tracks to one of the local tracks, and run for #1. Local tracks would rotate the regional final to a different location within each region, each year.
It's obvious these points events spread across a large region, force a competitor to travel days, and spend large amounts of money just to get to and from.

In short, get local tracks to sanction the Diesel classes, then move to a regional event, leaving the regional champs to a single national event. The National event could be rotated through the regions to equal out the travel.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
I feel very strongly in this grassroots style efforts success.

First directive law- any of the Chapter regions local shops involvement would automatically go back to the racers 100%.

Example:
If a shop decides on supporting a purse to their regions chapter- then the entire purse amount allocated will be given to the participants/racers.

Any objections??

Last edited by RacinDuallie; 02-27-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
Well heck Maryland has MIR, Capitol Raceway, Mason Dixon, 75-80, and Cecil county
Pa has a few tracks and so does NJ
Do you think there would be enough interest for a Mason Dixon Chapter??

Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
RAB 38

Name: RAB 38
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
This was just posted on the MIR web site
http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/news/2014/140227-01.htm

Street legal diesel truck series with midnight madness at MIR.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
We need to toss around ideas for the structure of operation.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
ctdiesel99

Name: ctdiesel99
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB 38 View Post
This was just posted on the MIR web site
http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/news/2014/140227-01.htm

Street legal diesel truck series with midnight madness at MIR.
Damn I thought MIR was closer for me than 3.5 hours. I would have been all over that like white on rice

2014 Jeep GC SRT

Old 02-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
HOLYSMOKES

Name: HOLYSMOKES
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I do not race. That's a rich mans sport. I did however tech for years for NADM. We ran a series race in Ohio for a few years. We pitched it to Ron and made the National event here in Ohio a " final" for the series. ( race was in Sept) and we had a decent turnout. It want huge, Id say 12 -20 once a month. Best advise...." If you build it, they will come". We ran with a track on Friday night ( Friday night street fights) and they gave us a lane. If you have a good track that is willing to help you out and you have the turnout, talk to Ron. Worst he can say is "no". If you don't ask, your already at "no"

Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLYSMOKES View Post
I do not race. That's a rich mans sport. I did however tech for years for NADM. We ran a series race in Ohio for a few years. We pitched it to Ron and made the National event here in Ohio a " final" for the series. ( race was in Sept) and we had a decent turnout. It want huge, Id say 12 -20 once a month. Best advise...." If you build it, they will come". We ran with a track on Friday night ( Friday night street fights) and they gave us a lane. If you have a good track that is willing to help you out and you have the turnout, talk to Ron. Worst he can say is "no". If you don't ask, your already at "no"
I'd love to hear your input Greg !

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
12-20 trucks a month is a pretty good meet for once a month. It sucks up here in the Northeast as far as diesel racing goes. I certainly am all ears on hearing pro active opinions and input on getting something started up here.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLYSMOKES View Post
" If you build it, they will come". We ran with a track on Friday night ( Friday night street fights) and they gave us a lane. If you have a good track that is willing to help you out and you have the turnout, talk to Ron. Worst he can say is "no". If you don't ask, your already at "no"

I asked Ron the question and he gave the ok.

Who wants to meet up and RACE??

Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
We sponsor a Diesel race one weekend per month at PRP. Best turn out was 22 trucks, worst was 6. Weather sucked this year. We only got two full races in. The way I see it, if I were to join one of the orgs., they could provide me with a car #. When I race, I could somehow upload my time-slips for actual race rounds, not time trials or TNT. My car # would be listed on the time slips. I could receive points for each round, and more points for semi, and final. Extra points for a win. (Fat chance ). The org would keep track of my points total until the designated end of season. Why not? As much as I love to race, I need to work more. In reality, I can not travel more than a couple times a year, because the shop comes first.

Closed Thread