timing went wrong

Cummins12v

worked on a ve truck today with 5x16 injectors denny pin 3800 springs for a friend. He pulled pump off and didnt tighted the nut when he replaced the pump. It sheered the key off and jumped timing. He brought it over and i pulled timing cover off and i figured i would skip a tooth to advance timing and put truck back together. now it runs terrible i clocked the pump back to the stock location. the truck should be around 20-22 degrees timing my ppump truck is 28 degrees and runs great..... is there something i might have missed

Possible it had already been jumped a tooth previously? These are old trucks and a lot of dik beaters have molested them by now.

I would find where stock timing is for sure and go from there. I think there’s two letters to line up on the gears

no power on top end like starving for fuel laggy. sounds like timing is higher than normal slight rattle but i skipped from e which is stock atleast from the research i have done to c on pump gear. There were 2 other marks(g,d)i belive.... its looks idiot proof thats why im stumped. everything is lined up. could the pump have taken a ****.

IC or Non IC pump?

this is a good question... im not sure. this truck has been through some hands and everything has been tampered with.. i know the motor is intercooled but as far as the pump i dont know. would there be a differnce between an intercooled pump vs a non. could the other timing marks be for a non intercooled pump?

truck has clean fuel filter and good pressure

Loosing power on the top end doesn’t usually result from higher timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tend to agree with BRE.

Innercooled engines have different injector spray patterns and piston bowls than non innercooled engines. (From what I remember) Injectionm pumps stay the same I believe.

I’m not an expert on retaining my knowledge of VE stuff, however I believe non intercooled pumps were different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KSB function is the opposite between the two pumps.

Check the blue wire on the FSS. Sometimes after pump molestation the useless spade terminal will get loose/poor connection.

Skipping one tooth shouldn't make it run that bad unless those injectors are for a non ic engine....

put truck back to oem timing at gear and runs perfect...cant say i recommend skipping a tooth however i will recommend the spacer and turning pump to head.....makes no sense just my $.02 haha thanks for the help

It's been my experience that:
- Most folks start with a simple 1/8" ~ 1/4" "bump" (past factory mark) in the static timing. It's good for mildly tweaked pump/injectors.
- The more aggressively tweaked pump with moderate injectors gets along with the pump turned to the head.
- More static timing advance requires jumping a tooth at the pump gear, combined with retarding the IP case. To get it back centered in the adjustment slots.
- And then there's the nuts who run two teeth advanced. In my defense, with a lot of advance, one is left with little room between the IP top and the engine's head. You can't get any wrenches between the **** to work on the IP.
. . . The second tooth advance allows one to then pull the IP well back away from the engine head. Now you can do **** back there. ;)

I wonder if the OPs timing was advanced to the point it needed to be pulled back past the stock/OEM marks (retarding).

Don't forget the VE sports dynamic injection event timing based on case pressure, which is based on IP main-shaft speed and a pressure regulator, all of which is influenced by a fixed orifice overflow-valve.

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir. :)

Back