2001 dodge diesel clattering while acceleration

blue2002

Have a 2001 with a airdog 2 gen four pushing 25 psi while idle and 22 when rev up. But if you drive it down the road it runs fine till you push pedal down. It clattering like a power stroke. Now if you lug it. High gear low rpms. It doesn't clattering till it comes out of putting it under a load.

Have block heater light on. 1690 and 1693 codes. No white smoke and no hard start.

So any input would be very appreciative.

Thank you

This is on a different truck I am registered with a 2002 and the one I am having the problem is with a 2001. With no mods on horse power. It has a gen4 airdog lift pump. Factory injectors.

troubleshoot the code.

I would still like to know what IAT and ECT are reading? IAT temps can have a significant impact on timing.

My guess however is the code is related. The code is saying the ecm and vp don't agree as to what position the crank is in.

Idk if this helps but... I have noticed that the higher the lift pump pressure the louder rotary pumps chatter, 24psi IMO is high for a vp44, my fass sits at 15psi all day long. When I had the old air dog it was 21 and lots of pump rattle. Cp3 pumps are the same way especially duramax pumps. You just may not hear it at idle because the VP44 is spinning slower

I know you're talking about fuel, but I've seen a few that sound like what you're describing when the flex plate is about to let go.

Idk how you're getting away with that kinda pressure on a vp anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idk how you're getting away with that kinda pressure on a vp anyhow.

LMAO its called #Airdoglife Been there done that. Many years spent at 25 psi idle to keep from low single digit fuel pressure under load. No issues other than burning through raptors like they were going out style.

LMAO its called #Airdoglife Been there done that. Many years spent at 25 psi idle to keep from low single digit fuel pressure under load. No issues other than burning through raptors like they were going out style.

Or... just use the correct pressure, and get a pump that can actually sustain it correctly

in a perfect world yes. However I had a raptor that I needed to make work so I did.

I have since resolved the issue with a pump that can actually pump. Point though is the vp44 isn't going to self destruct if you put 25 psi to the inlet.

in a perfect world yes. However I had a raptor that I needed to make work so I did.

I have since resolved the issue with a pump that can actually pump. Point though is the vp44 isn't going to self destruct if you put 25 psi to the inlet.

If it work cool, however since you have an airdog back the pressure down and see if it helps the noise

My point being... the seal usually (notice I said usually) don't handle that kinda pressure.

Well my 02 I am running 25 psi. Wot trying I drop down to 15 psi. However rattled this my 02 has never rattled like the 01.

As soon as I start building boost he starts rattling.

The codes are 1690 and 1693. Also the block heater light is on..

The rattle is coming from the motor. More of clattering. I guess could say like when you drive a vehicle with the timing to advance.

Also truck has no power.

Well my 02 I am running 25 psi. Wot trying I drop down to 15 psi. However rattled this my 02 has never rattled like the 01.

As soon as I start building boost he starts rattling.

The codes are 1690 and 1693. Also the block heater light is on..

The rattle is coming from the motor. More of clattering. I guess could say like when you drive a vehicle with the timing to advance.

Also truck has no power.

Is your map sensor properly functioning

Okay I have the converter for 01 to 02. I swapped them out from my 02 to that 01 truck. My 02 doesn't do it but the 01 still does it.

It seems to only start clattering when boost is built and no boost it runs just fine.

Back