CNG system on Diesel Power Challenge truck 38mpg!

97crewcab

Wrong.
New diesel power today. A guy (Jeff Dean) had a compressed natural gas system on his truck. He got 38mpg on the fuel test. He was disappointed he didn't get 50-55mpg!
Any idea on what he is doing. How?
Side effects?

Discuss.....

Its compressed natural gas, its still a fossil fuel and you still wil lpay through the nose to get it. Not to mention I'm curisous to know at what cost that 38 MPG comes in at. Yeah he may have only used X amount of diesel at X price, but how much NG did he burn and at what price was that. Not to mention How much for a system.

Stingpuller is Jeff's screen name. He claimed that in his neck of the woods, he was (at the time of the DP challenge) scoring CNG for 70 cents/gallon. That's a big score pricewise. Not sure what it goes for (or even where to get it around here) but I bet it's more than 70 cents.
It was a homebuilt system from a guy on DP that makes propane kits, and he made the CNG for Jeff. He also said that he's gotten as high as 50+mpg (on fuel) when running the kit on the highway. So it doesn't sound like he was paying through the nose and that it was definitely worth it for him. Now, if you don't have access to cheap CNG, then it's probably not economical. Jeff tore down his motor to build it last weekend, and made a thread elsewhere that he couldn't believe how clean his pistons were, no flower pattern or anything, for what it's worth.

CNG

Thanks Big Angry, Yes the system works very well. I have gotten as high as 55 mpg on diesel. At that rate I used about 3 to 1 of CNG. CNG has 130 octane so you do not have the detenation problems you have with propane. They have it wrong in the mag. its about $1.70 here local. It's $.68 in Utah. The nice thing would be if you a natural gas well on your land! Then all you need is a refill station. Yes there expensive(4 to 5k) but if you have the gas you could make up for it real quick. It burns very clean and adds 80 to 100 hp. It burns cooler, I will drop about 200 on the pyro with my tuning. For anyone who has interest can e-mail me or contact Marc Deluca fuel products for info. Just for the record i'm a person that you have to prove something to me to make me believe it. I contacted Marc, told him what I was doing(diesel power challenge) and he said bring it up. We installed the kit, went and filled up the cng then diesel. Went on a 56 mile loop come back to the station we just filled up at and refilled. I was talking to him when I stated filling and at about .7 of a gallon it clicked! I looked up at him in surprised and he just smiled! He is used to it, I couldn't believe it. I did manage to get it to a gallon so I just called it 55 m.p.g. but i'm sure it was better than that. Let's just say i'm a believer now. Jeff

No problem Jeff. I was quite impressed with your performance and the truck. Are you saying 3-4k for the CNG setup for your truck, or the refill station to load your CNG tank?
Just wondering, thanks.

Ted

CNG

The system is $1295. That does not include the tank. Some find them cheap on ebay or a salvage yard. Its very easy to install. mount the tank run a hose, bolt down the system and a few wires. There is a internet link to gives you location and price all over the US. Thanks Jeff

PM sent!! This is what I have been looking for... I have my own gas well, and want to fumigate a little NG on a 4bt that im putting in a dakota. :rockwoot:

I have 3 natural gas wells / oil wells on my property.... I have an unlimited supply of natural gas to my home and garage.... This may well be something to look into! Neat....

I tried but not sure if it worked...not showing up in the sent folder. Im a member on other forums and never had this problem before. I just want some info

I PMed him and he got back with me the next day... if you dont here back in a day or so just send another one..... Im planning on building my own compressor system.... so if you here a big BOOM and chunks start falling you know that it didnt work....LOL:bang

I'm currently running a Bullydog Propane system and have noticed no difference in MPG but the extra power is nice when I'm towing or want to play a little. Any way to convert from Propane to CNG without buying a new kit?

There is a system you can install at your house that will refill your CNG tank and it is just on your utillity bill. I will look for the link to thye system.

Back