Need help...

Koda24v

2001 ram 2500 mods done in sig, just recently put a new head valves springs rods, vp44, and injectors in finally got it up and running, having hardstart issue cold and hot after sitting and a really raw fuel smell with haze at idle and really bad haze under any sorta load. have a thumping noise out of the airbox too any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

2001 ram 2500 mods done in sig, just recently put a new head valves springs rods, vp44, and injectors in finally got it up and running, having hardstart issue cold and hot after sitting and a really raw fuel smell with haze at idle and really bad haze under any sorta load. have a thumping noise out of the airbox too any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!
Inspect for a bridge out of place. Verify TDC and adjust valves again.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

The thumping noise in the airbox sure sounds like a valve adjustment issue. Or intake valve.

How are you going about setting the valve lash?

If lash is where it should be, get an IR temp gun and start shooting the temps on the exhaust manifold on a cold start. You should have a cold cylinder on the hole pushing back into the intake.
Don't run it longer than needed.

Did anything happen during the valve spring swap?

Loose feed tube? Fuel pressure? Rag in intake.
I definitely had a rag in the intake on a customer truck we thought the timing had slipped on. Hard start, white smoke. Rag was on the intake heater. Lucky it was summer.

The thumping noise in the airbox sure sounds like a valve adjustment issue. Or intake valve.

How are you going about setting the valve lash?
Interestingly enough, I usually find the popping in the intake when the exhaust valve isn't opening. The cylinder pressure pops back through the intake valve on the next opening event.

I definitely had a rag in the intake on a customer truck we thought the timing had slipped on. Hard start, white smoke. Rag was on the intake heater.

We had a customer with a 7.3 come in once with no power and lots of black smoke. There was a red shop rag imbedded around the turbo wheel. He's left it in the intake when he was wiping it out.

feeler gauge and found a post on moparman forum

Do one cylinder at a time.

Bump engine until intake valve just starts to open, then adjust that cylinders exhaust lash.

Then bump engine until exhaust valve fully opens, then starts to just close back up, then adjust that cylinders intake lash.

Went back and re-read the first post. To clarify, New:
Cylinder head with upgraded springs
Injectors
VP44

Are we sure the correct key was used for the injection pump, Is this an upgrade pump?

I would still get temps to see if it's one cylinder or all. That will let you know whether to pursue a single cylinder or the injection system.

Any codes?

Popping back through the intake you say ?
I would try cracking injector lines one cylinder at a time to hear if the noise changes when the fuel load is removed from the cylinder. That way, at the very least, you'd know what cylinder to inspect.

Back