drive an auto need some info on gear

01cumminsred

all last season i couldnt pull 3rd gear on 2nd ....but i need more ground speed..

i have made alot of changes since then hp wise i am in the mid 600's and run 35 sts's will it pull 3rd i also use lock up switch

On a tight track, 35" tires and 3:73 gears it will be tough to run 3rd gear lock up with only 600hp.

I think youll need to do one of 4 things to run third. Change to 410s, more power(100-150hp), Or drop to 33s and less agressive tread, or ppump it.

Unless its a very loose track it will be about impossible to run 3rd with 3.73s and 35s. You need some 4.10s and some 33s or possible 31.5s

It is possible to run 3rd gear, converter locked, with 3.73's on tight or loose tracks with 33's. I have an 05 CR that turns 3800 to 4k consistently every time...very rare that I had to unlock the converter at the end, if at all...and I don't have a P-pump, I have dual cp3's, both modified....you just have to work all the bugs out of your specific truck and set-up, since each one is different...

well the trucks revs up so fast with the new cam. i will make a few passes and see what i can pull off. maybe i can just pull 3rd with the convertor unlocked

last year with 440hp 2nd gear was redlining around 3800 rpm... with the 35's ad was topped out it would still spin like crazy at the end convertor locked...

since then.....big stick, studs, wicked level 2 plus pump, mafia nozzles, bd special 64-71-14, 2nd gen manifold and some other small things...

was hoping i could go to a higher gear.....

I run TNT-R, DR.P, TST, stage 1 pump, 150hp injectors, 35" tire, 3:73 gear last year and it was hard to get 3rd gear on alot of the tracks. This year I switched to: stage 3 pump, 180hp injectors, and 33" tires. Shouldnt have a problem this time around.

If you stay with 2nd gear you will need the TNT-R for the added RPM.

i ran 3.73 and 33's last year in my 05 auto and never had a problem running in third gear. i would just unlock at end of track and it wouldnt fall off charger

well guys i am going to try some different stuff the first pull is this sat. so we will see what happens... i will post some results

ok last night went well .....

class 3 i place 3rd but there was a bad dip i hit around 250 than i couldnt shake the bounce after hitting it... i was in 3rd with convertor locked

class 4 the track was fixed and i turned meth on and took 1st place...

IT WILL PULL 3RD WITH IT LOCKED UP.....THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT..I AM STOKED ALOT OF HARD WORK WENT INTO THAT

great to see it worked for ya. i'm in the same dilema with tires and gears for this year with a similar setup as you. was it a hard or loose track?

Back