Car Hauler Winch

I am putting a 8,000lbs winch on my 32ft 2 place. Why 8,000? Because I know it will pull anything I want onto the trailer. Some poeple move more than rolling cars. Maybe a jeep with no wheels on it, or a jeep with a broken locked up rear end. I work with the idea of, if something is worth doing, its worth overdoing. I think you can get 8k milemarker winches brand new for about 399. Not the best, but really good.

Well, I ended up going with the cheapo Harbor Freight unit for $40 that was posted earlier. I went this route until I had the time to mount a toolbox/winch combo on my trailer. The car needed to be moved last weekend. The unit is said to have 6000lb pulling force rolling weight...BS:umno:

I mounted the bracket onto the crossbar where the jack is and welded it. Pulled out the "30 foot" calbe, and it BARELY made it to my ramps. I had to use more of my tow strap than I really wanted to. Now my trailer is an 18' with a 2' dovetail and of course ramps out the back. When the cars front tires hit the blunt edge of the ramps, the winch stoped! Says right on it that if it stops, winch is overloaded and to decrease weight and try again...well there was nothing to decrease, so I waited 3 minutes or whatever it was for it to click back on and put some blocks ahead of the ramps so the edge wasn't so blunt. Long story short, the thing stopped on me about 6 times before I got the car all the way up on the trailer.

Car weighs in at the track at 4300 give or take depending on fuel level. The reason I had to tow is that the gas tank is out, most of the brake system is out and no exhaust at this time. Found myself with no time to finish the project when the house finally sold. :doh:

So anyway, car was maybe 3800lbs and took me 1 hour just to get in on the trailer....

smoken02 said:
That would be the reason my trailer will be goin byby. It was used more by other people than me.

Thats why you get a trailer that is pintle, GN, or 5th wheel. Most people dont have the equipment to tow it with, so that cuts down on the borrowing.

Using semi truck style light connectors helps with that too.

n8ick said:
Thats why you get a trailer that is pintle, GN, or 5th wheel. Most people dont have the equipment to tow it with, so that cuts down on the borrowing.

Never thought of it that way before. I will be taking that into consideration with my next one.

n8ick said:

Can I just convert mine to that style or does it reqire a whole new trailer harness?

Troy

Back