Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Lakewood Quicktime Blowproof Bell

Those of you that run one, how much of a PIA is it to get it to work with our clutches? Currently 3 disk valair but may convert to 4 disk valair. I know at one time they weren't spun deep enough and some pretty good grinding was needed. Not really wanting to do that on the already thin bell housing. Browell not in the budget, it's either Lakewood or stock nv with blanket. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
prostockpuller

Name: prostockpuller
Member`s Gallery
Have a 5/8" thick spacer made to fit between the bell and the spacer on the cummins block. Any shop with a Water jet or laser can do this fairly cheaply. Mine was Aluminum.

RK

Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
ComnRailPwr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpuller View Post
Have a 5/8" thick spacer made to fit between the bell and the spacer on the cummins block. Any shop with a Water jet or laser can do this fairly cheaply. Mine was Aluminum.

RK
Sticking with my three disc clutch that would require me getting a longer input shaft on the reverser I already have. I believe the spacer will be necessary and a longer input shaft if I decide to go to for disc.

Just trying to offset the cost of the Stroud blanket. When I sold my last truck the blanket went with it. The blanket is over half the cost of the Bell so I would rather go with the Bell if it's not too big of a PIA.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
I have done one truck with a i believe a 3/4 spacer with a Kenney's 4 disc 12 stand, would have to go back and measure. It has a nv4500 bell with a scs reverser on it. It's a pretty sweet setup needed no modification.

Then another with a 1/2" spacer and a browel bell with kenny's small 4 disc and the bell itself needed some work to get the fork to sit far enough back. Nothing terrible just wasn't a drop in. The nv4500 I used already had a longer input from a old 3 South bend clutch and that part worked out nicely.

Several ways to do it. Valiar has GREAT products, not trying to take anything away from them but a 12stand clutch is the only way to go. I tell guys now if you need to save some money id do it somewhere else. Buy the best clutch they make and skimp on something else. We had over 150 hooks at 1500hp before it needed adjusting, and then adjusting is a breeze.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
ComnRailPwr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
I have done one truck with a i believe a 3/4 spacer with a Kenney's 4 disc 12 stand, would have to go back and measure. It has a nv4500 bell with a scs reverser on it. It's a pretty sweet setup needed no modification.

Then another with a 1/2" spacer and a browel bell with kenny's small 4 disc and the bell itself needed some work to get the fork to sit far enough back. Nothing terrible just wasn't a drop in. The nv4500 I used already had a longer input from a old 3 South bend clutch and that part worked out nicely.

Several ways to do it. Valiar has GREAT products, not trying to take anything away from them but a 12stand clutch is the only way to go. I tell guys now if you need to save some money id do it somewhere else. Buy the best clutch they make and skimp on something else. We had over 150 hooks at 1500hp before it needed adjusting, and then adjusting is a breeze.
If funds allow I will heed your advice on the clutch. Can you tell me what clutch you are referring too and I'll look into it. It is something I planned on doing but going deckplate and ODL is my first priorities. I do not want this block to split and have broken everything in my driveline at least once this year besides driveshafts and clutch.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
ComnRailPwr

Member`s Gallery
Well I sold my NV 4500 Transmissions with the bellhousing so I ended up buying one of these QuickTime bellhousing. Couldn't pass up the deal, got it for 550 bucks brand new. Next question for you guys that are running these are you running any type of spacer between the bell and the reverser or are you mounting the reverser directly to the bellhousing? I wasn't sure if mounting it directly to the bellhousing had any issues with too much input shaft protrusion. I may do that anyway to gain more clutch clearance and just run a bellhousing spacer.

Closed Thread