01 LB7 SCSB Budget Build

I’d also give Evan a call at Limitless Diesel. I believe he is working on some fancy 4l80e stuff behind some really hot Duramax trucks.

What fuel tank is that and how many gallons is it? I have an 03’ std cab 4x4 getting shortened in the garage.

Here is the link to the fuel cell; Summit Racing Aluminum Fuel Cells SUM-293220-S - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Its really nice and I went with the sender so that I can fine tune the sender through EFILIVE. Thanks for the recommendation!

Swapped my 47RH transmission for a 4l80e (late model) 2wd last night. Guy was super cool and full of knowledge! I will be going through D&P torque converters, he is local to me and built my grandfather's torque converter for his 03 quad cab dually compound turbo truck and its awesome! I will start ordering parts shortly to get the transmission build going, but need to get the truck out of the garage first to make space. List of stuff that needs to get done before building transmission:
1. Have 4-link brackets for front built.
2. Finish welding in the rear to be able to paint, install fuel cell, battery and airdog lift pump.
3. Install 4 link bars and coilovers.
4. Install fuel lines and battery cables.
5. Remove 5 speed allison and wiring/ecm that goes with it.
6. Install bed (for the time being) and roll it out of the garage

I have a few questions for all of you!

1. What would you guys recommend for driveshaft? (aluminum vs steel)
2. Any recommendations for a transmission cooler?

Picture of the new 4l80E!

4l80e core.jpg

Some updates on the truck:
I went with D&P on my torque converter, He is local and wasn't afraid to show me the inside of the torque converter and prove to me what made him different from others. I Emailed and called other companies and never got a response. I'm super happy with my purchase and cant wait to see how how it holds up! Pictures are attached :woohoo:

IMG-0514.jpg IMG-0517.JPG IMG-0518.JPG IMG-0519.JPG

Also picked up some billet cool shiny things :D
IMG-0528.jpg

My grandpa also has a water jet so I was able to have him make me the front 4 link brackets and got them welded into place. Tonight I will finish welding and painting the frame and then installing the coilovers and 4 link bars. I also ordered today transmission coolers and also some AN fittings for the fuel system/ transmission.

IMG-0521.jpg IMG-0525.jpg IMG-0526.jpg

Finished up welding everything for the 4 link and painting it all. Installed the Panhard bar and finally had the truck sitting on all 4 by itself. I need to play with the settings on the coilovers some more. Here’s some pictures of the progress
4e05ecafbc1ad853e2cde988091c1f56.jpg
9120020731ab22a0736e62dc0a320775.jpg
e007a12c177cde0cc32e3b39a4161ba4.jpg
0464e3f0a83a7381c5cc8229c095c25b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread opened.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for opening again!

As for an update, I had to take a break on the truck for a while to be able to save up some money and spend time with my family. We have another little kiddo in the oven :)

6b1443ba1f8b83f8d04e286c7ad0d9af.jpg
29303560dd282f0aa99abd7203f41a4a.jpg
d9fbb2344147540385dcb38c1d9b7cc4.jpg

In the time being I finished building the 4l80e transmission and installed in the truck.

Will be using a Holley black lift pump with this fuel filter setup I built, only $300 total with fittings and everything other than filters. I installed the airdog that was on the truck onto my tow rig and couldn’t justify spending another $700 for another one.

Sold my short bed that was on the truck (tan one) and got this long bed donated. I will be gutting the bed and cutting it shorter. I just didn’t have it in me to cut up the nice short bed.

List that needs to be complete before hitting the track for testing.
*fuel lines ran
*transmission coolers and lines installed
*battery cables and other wiring finished
*Build bracket for ratchet shifter
*get alignment done

Built the mount for the transmission coolers last night
f036bfa9625e295851ec1e1beab4efa9.jpg

I picked up a used fuelab lift pump for an awesome price that should be coming in today ?

I would spend a little more time beefing up the 4 link brackets to the rear end housing and to the front crossmember. You will most likely need to gusset the hell out of them.

If you get the truck to hook up good I think you'll break something without more support on both.

Cool project!

I would spend a little more time beefing up the 4 link brackets to the rear end housing and to the front crossmember. You will most likely need to gusset the hell out of them.

If you get the truck to hook up good I think you'll break something without more support on both.

Cool project!

Thanks!

I was thinking about using some tubing and tie it to the front of the 4 link brackets and the frame. What would you recommend for the brackets to the axle?

I would do a gusset that completely covers the back of both brackets and extend out a couple of inches on either side.

The picture I've posted below shows the way I have done it in the past. The black lines indicate the brackets. You can put some lightening holes in them too. That helps strapping the truck on the trailer too sometimes.

This style bracket could also work on the front 4 link brackets. Just get as much weld contact with everything that you can.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would do a gusset that completely covers the back of both brackets and extend out a couple of inches on either side.

The picture I've posted below shows the way I have done it in the past. The black lines indicate the brackets. You can put some lightening holes in them too. That helps strapping the truck on the trailer too sometimes.

This style bracket could also work on the front 4 link brackets. Just get as much weld contact with everything that you can.

Thanks for the info! Im learning fabrication as I go so feel free to give any tips! I will see if my grandpa can cut out some pieces for me on the CNC.

Been a while since I’ve updated on here. So I gutted the bed and starting cutting it into a short bed, still need to cut the butt end of it 5 inches shorter! Also ditched the airdog and went with a fuelab lift pump and my own filter setup.
6bdd528ef9a06e89302f0e66db59dc45.jpg

53c1a1545c364e091e6bc39ded431908.jpg

I also built the ratchet shifter mount that will also hold the transmission line pressure gauge as well as the SOTF switch.

e08dcb01a690f21fe97f5bdcaace9894.jpg

96d4c1e3bb75a39df6ac20ffedf56e00.jpg

Yeah man, you better post an update after getting called out like that, ha. Looks good, keep going

Back