Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
Peterson

Name: Peterson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have a 1410, i want to go to 1480 joints. On my np271 i have a 1480 already, but a 1410 on the dana 70. So i want both to be 1480's.
Allis Chalmers D17 Puller with AC 3500 MKII

Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
not many choices for the lighter 1480 yoke, the aftermarket end yoke is like big money....
Im not gonna even say it, better off with the DT end yoke

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
When the right yoke doesn't exist and they need to have the better yoke, and you are a machinist and you make it there is no efficiency issue.

There is no lack of efficiency to what i said to do, in fact in this case when 1 yoke is 15 lbs and the other is 3 lbs, who's is more efficient ?

The person who knows what machining alterations needing to be done to make it right is invaluable, and going to make it right.

A end yoke is made with a MD, TH, GH and spline count and type... If the spline type and count match, the other specs can be modified to work, i have done this for cars, trucks, race cars, boats hundreds and hundreds of times, simply because the end yoke they have or had or need doesn't exist.

No lack of efficiency, how do you get the right yoke when only 1 or 2 exist, the gm version or the dodge version. AAM is not like spicer and is not making 10 versions of a ___ spline and 10 versions of that spline angle.

So now the part you need is modified.

There is a aftermarket company making them also, which is also probably lighter but the price is big. .
Why monkey **** around for 45 minutes to machine a $90 dollar yoke to replace a $135 yoke? And now, in the future, when the next owner needs a yoke they will go get the spicer replacement, not notice the chamfer and wonder why the thing doesn't fit correctly when it matches the one that came off of there.

Quote:
Oh yes they can, they take it send it to there people in china and now you have a cheaper copy of the OEM part.

They do it with lots of stuff. . .
Yes, like i said, if it was cheaper than reselling the AAM yokes, Randys ring and pinion would already be doing it. They do it all the time with other stuff.

The OP already has a yoke that will do exactly what he wants, and he has all the info to get the correct straps.... why do we need to continue to over complicate this ?
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Why monkey **** around for 45 minutes to machine a $90 dollar yoke to replace a $135 yoke? And now, in the future, when the next owner needs a yoke they will go get the spicer replacement, not notice the chamfer and wonder why the thing doesn't fit correctly when it matches the one that came off of there.

The one yoke is very heavy and you do not want heavy in the driveline.

The other is lighter, but truth be told the chamfer is not taking even more than 1 minute to duplicate on another yoke....45 minutes if you're a mentally challenged machinist or not a machinist, i have never taken 45 minutes to machine yokes that needed more than 1 modification, and that includes setting the machine.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The one yoke is very heavy and you do not want heavy in the driveline.

The other is lighter, but truth be told the chamfer is not taking even more than 1 minute to duplicate on another yoke....45 minutes if you're a mentally challenged machinist or not a machinist, i have never taken 45 minutes to machine yokes that needed more than 1 modification, and that includes setting the machine.

Its a balanced part, who cares how heavy it is. Whats it going to do? Rob 1 hp? Its also part of a fixture and not suspended weight as if it were in the middle of the driveshaft.

You can pull a yoke off the shelf and put it in the customers hand and invoice it in five minutes time. Dont tell me it takes one minute to grab the yoke from stock, walk over to the lathe, indicate it ( which buy the way, i dont care how good you are, indicating a yoke is a project seeing as how you have to check the face and they dont always have flat surfaces to grab), set your tool post and holder, etc. 45 minutes may be a generous amount of time, but your one minute estimate makes you sound like all the customers that walk in the door with no clue.

Further more, the yoke your talking about using for this application is obsolete. So, you go right ahead and keep tripping over $100 bills to snag those precious nickels.

Now hows about we let this go so the OP can go buy him self a set of straps for the yoke he already has and be on his merry way?
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
But he is Mr. Supershaft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
duck_04

Name: duck_04
Title: resident quack
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
But he is Mr. Supershaft!
Thats what she said!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Its a balanced part, who cares how heavy it is. Whats it going to do? Rob 1 hp? Its also part of a fixture and not suspended weight as if it were in the middle of the driveshaft.

You can pull a yoke off the shelf and put it in the customers hand and invoice it in five minutes time. Dont tell me it takes one minute to grab the yoke from stock, walk over to the lathe, indicate it ( which buy the way, i dont care how good you are, indicating a yoke is a project seeing as how you have to check the face and they dont always have flat surfaces to grab), set your tool post and holder,

Now hows about we let this go so the OP can go buy him self a set of straps for the yoke he already has and be on his merry way?

It's not about nickels, or making the customer pay... i can see you aren't in business and surely you have no clue how to keep customers and keep them happy.

You got a lot to learn about weight in the driveline also, eventually you'll learn that pounds in the driveline are close to 10 times compared to carrying weight, so losing a few pounds in the driveline is equivalent to losing 30 to 50 lbs carrying...so when you lose 20 lbs it's like losing 250 to 350 carrying, so losing as much as possible is performance gained, so if faced with a heavy end yoke and light there is sense in using the lighter end yoke.

Yes unfortunately as hard as it is for you to understand I can take the yoke off the shelf set it on my made precision tools that holds it on center by the spline in about less than 1 minute and begin machining length or diameter or making any other modification to it. (lol if you were smart you would know you could use a old pinion machined also instead of making the tooling i did and still be set up in less than 1 minute and just slide them on) .

Sounds like you have no idea how to machine a yoke properly, but if you aren't holding it on the spline you're doing it wrong.

you keep learning and maybe one day you'll know how to make tools too...
I can also hold the end yoke by the joint in another tool, but you may not understand that either, also less then 1 minute from end yoke off the shelf into adapter into machining...

45 minutes, maybe if i were in the business of milking cows that'd be acceptable.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
Hey now i milk cows!!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #30
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
Nothing wrong with that, just takes a lil more time them cows don't empty out that quick

Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
HAHA yeah and the ones that kick!! lol

Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's not about nickels, or making the customer pay... i can see you aren't in business and surely you have no clue how to keep customers and keep them happy.

You got a lot to learn about weight in the driveline also, eventually you'll learn that pounds in the driveline are close to 10 times compared to carrying weight, so losing a few pounds in the driveline is equivalent to losing 30 to 50 lbs carrying...so when you lose 20 lbs it's like losing 250 to 350 carrying, so losing as much as possible is performance gained, so if faced with a heavy end yoke and light there is sense in using the lighter end yoke.

Yes unfortunately as hard as it is for you to understand I can take the yoke off the shelf set it on my made precision tools that holds it on center by the spline in about less than 1 minute and begin machining length or diameter or making any other modification to it. (lol if you were smart you would know you could use a old pinion machined also instead of making the tooling i did and still be set up in less than 1 minute and just slide them on) .

Sounds like you have no idea how to machine a yoke properly, but if you aren't holding it on the spline you're doing it wrong.

you keep learning and maybe one day you'll know how to make tools too...
I can also hold the end yoke by the joint in another tool, but you may not understand that either, also less then 1 minute from end yoke off the shelf into adapter into machining...

45 minutes, maybe if i were in the business of milking cows that'd be acceptable.

OK fuzz nuts, how are you going to machine the INSIDE if the yoke is slid on the pinion? The chamfer the 3-4-8001-1x (discontinued part anyhow) is missing to replace the corporate yoke is on the inside. I suppose a small counterbore would suffice. But the fact remains your not going to cut a counterbore with the yoke slid on a setup. If you set it up on the joint, you need to run it on a the center. The only way your doing any machining on the ID is by grabbing the yoke in the chuck. As far as the weight..... your killing me here, i fully under stand the concept. But this is an 11.5 AAM, not some custom aluminum center ford 9" in a drag car. How many of the trucks on the 50 fastest duramax list are probably still running the factory yoke with the heavy ass balancer on it?

Seriously man, i tried to save you the hassle of finding out on your own that the yoke part# you were going to find was not worth while, because i have been there and done that with this specific rear end/yoke combo. But all you want to do is tell me im wrong and its financially worth while to hodge podge this ****. I bet your still machining the unmachined saginaw yokes to.

As far as customers go, most of mine are real satisfied with the services we provide.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #33
Supershafts

Member`s Gallery
You apparently didn't read anything, read it again and think somewhat this time, if you are a machinist it shouldn't take long to figure out how it's being held.
You do know how to use a BP ?
There are many many yokes not being made anymore, many yokes not being made a in a particular series for some diffs and transfercases and euro stuff other than specialty aftermarket, not just 1 or even this, you are dispelling something and only because you know of this one particular yoke...

I see many trucks running heavy stuff on there driveline

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #34
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
Can't we all just be friends? hahaha

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You apparently didn't read anything, read it again and think somewhat this time, if you are a machinist it shouldn't take long to figure out how it's being held.
You do know how to use a BP ?
There are many many yokes not being made anymore, many yokes not being made a in a particular series for some diffs and transfercases and euro stuff other than specialty aftermarket, not just 1 or even this, you are dispelling something and only because you know of this one particular yoke...

I see many trucks running heavy stuff on there driveline
Im not dispelling the general practice, we change stuff all the time when need be. Im dispelling it being even remotely worth while for this application.

I should have just let you give the OP that part number for the straps and bolts and let you look stupid when they didnt fit. Your welcome. Why dont you go hit up a drag racing or car forum where you are a little more at home and familiar with the parts and applications.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Closed Thread