Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #41
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
Quiero.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #42
turbom700

Name: turbom700
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguylevi View Post
HAHA, Im sorry if I have not updated my signature or "About Me" section. Obviously nobody here knows who I am but you have all seen my work before. While I am not going to describe my idea on a public forum. I will explain who I am and what my experiences are.
My name is Levi Aberle. co-founder of Aberle Offroad. My family owns and operates Rocky Mountain Mfg, Aberle Offroad, and Freedom Construction. Rocky Mountain Mfg is formally known as Aberle Industrial Mfg. and before that was A1-Pattern and Foundry. My Family for 3 generations has engineered and manufactured sophisticated parts and tooling for companies such as (some names you will recognize) Banks, ATS Diesel, Caterpillar, Boeing, just to name a few. from 2002-2009 we were the largest nonferrous foundry in Colorado.
You idiot!!!! This will never work, why would you ever waste time and money doing this!!! Oh sorry I was just beening like half the people in this thread.

I say go for it you clearly have the capailtys todo so.

Mike

1997 s10 2wd 350sbc 4l80e

2000 vw gold tdi

1999 Sportsman DIESEL

Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #43
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Zero people have yet to say if they would pay upwards of $4000 for this unicorn item...

North American Turbo

Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #44
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Zero people have yet to say if they would pay upwards of $4000 for this unicorn item...
If it could be done, and be reliable, I think it would sale easily for $4k. Assuming that is the package cost. Especially if it doesn't need a special input shaft, special bell house, or need rebuilt part way through the season. However if it's $4k for clutch, plus wiring package for $1k, and $1k for bell house and so on, then it really doesn't make much sense.

Back in the day, when diesel pulling was in it's infancy, we were buying the TST ceramic clutch thinking it was an awesome choice compared to stock but it was $600! Then after welding a few together pulling, the twin disc began to make more sense but it was $2500 with the input shaft! Then as technology improved it made sense to buy a "pulling" twin disc, then the Iron Giant, then 3 disc, then 4 disc, then....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #45
cstalnaker

Name: cstalnaker
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I would not, Peter offers a practically indestructible dual disk setup already for my application. Although slightly noisy at times I have never installed one that was horribly stiff on the pedal and they are all relatively tameable on the street. I can get one of those all day for 12-1400. There's no reason for me to want to pay 4k for an imaginary item. Even if unicorns did exist I could buy 3 SBDD before I could get one of those and they would last me longer than a lifetime.

Victim of a seized Rocken Tech 14mm.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #46
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstalnaker View Post
I would not, Peter offers a practically indestructible dual disk setup already for my application. Although slightly noisy at times I have never installed one that was horribly stiff on the pedal and they are all relatively tameable on the street. I can get one of those all day for 12-1400. There's no reason for me to want to pay 4k for an imaginary item. Even if unicorns did exist I could buy 3 SBDD before I could get one of those and they would last me longer than a lifetime.
This ^^

This is the exact point I am trying to make. Like I said I am all for innovation but there comes a point where polishing a turd is pointless. There is no market for an overpriced item we are discussing not to mention nowhere in this thread has a practical alternative to a clutch been mentioned. I am sorry but magnets as a replacement for a clutch is asinine. Sure it would be cool to see done but nowhere near practical as a replacement for a clutch. Everyone says "if it lasted a lifetime blah blah". When has ANYTHING been made to last a lifetime on a vehicle? Everything has wear somewhere. Where does one get the energy to power the electromagnets proposed?

For a puller or competition vehicle there is no practical use.

For a daily driver a pretty damn decent auto can be built for $4000 and there are already options for the manuals for much less money.

North American Turbo

Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
Coolguylevi

Name: Coolguylevi
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Again, Guys. I never said that is what I would sell it for, I never said that's what it would cost. In fact the first clutch I make will probably cost upwards of $15-20k. With that being said, if somebody else were to have already marketed this product, I (personally) would be willing to pay up to $4000 for a whole package. To be honest this idea I have is so simple I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #48
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
You should be more specific with your idea. Otherwise, these guys will continue to knock you around.
Are you thinking along the lines of electronic gen drives? Like on the locomotives and Heavy equipment ?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #49
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
^^^^ That.

If you gave us an idea of how it works or what it is we might be more accepting to the idea. Otherwise you just sound like brian from smarty talking to the vp crowd

North American Turbo

Old 11-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #50
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
You should be more specific with your idea. Otherwise, these guys will continue to knock you around.
Are you thinking along the lines of electronic gen drives? Like on the locomotives and Heavy equipment ?
Then someone else reads it and may have the ability to get to it quicker.

A few small ideas and it's all over

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #51
fox

Name: fox
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguylevi View Post
What would your top dollar be for a hypothetical clutch that will not slip and never wears? Me... Id pay upwards of $4000. This is all hypothetical. Lets talk about the drawbacks, it weighs 25% more and it could be too aggresive on input shafts. The positives, it is easyer to install, it lasts a lifetime, it has no moving parts when driveline is engauged. Lets keep going! Ideas?
do you work for obama care?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #52
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post

Just my opinion, but if all you want to do is talk around it, perhaps you should have left it in your head, and not presented it to the public just yet.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #53
Coolguylevi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post

Exactly! Reason for posting it is to see the responses from people who I would consider "interested" prior to having it completed. This gives me an idea whether to make production tooling or one-off tooling.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #54
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
And he is getting feedback though, just without giving away what exactly he is doing to get there.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #55
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
he's getting forum chatter....

the folks out there 'getting **** done' aren't pounding a keyboard, they're getting their hands dirty.

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #56
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Voith Turbo clutch.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #57
Coolguylevi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Voith Turbo clutch.
Not Even Close.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #58
hjoey

Name: hjoey
Member`s Gallery
Sounds close

Old 11-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #59
Coolguylevi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
he's getting forum chatter....

the folks out there 'getting **** done' aren't pounding a keyboard, they're getting their hands dirty.
So far all my post have added up to about 20 min. Thats your interpertation of keyboard pounding?
What about the hundreds of hours in front of SolidWorks iv spent? To me thats keyboard puonding

Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #60
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
If you ever build this monster, give me a buzz and I can write it up for Diesel World!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Closed Thread