2nd gen dodge - dropping weight, where & what

cruise control vacum thingy has to be atleast 5 pounds plus all the linkage, will also open up that area alot. everything else has pretty much been mentioned, unless you wanna go further into.

Cruise control is gone (ditched that before I shortened the wheelbase), so is windshield washer fluid reservior. Heater grid equipment & circuitry are gone as well.

Cruise control is gone (ditched that before I shortened the wheelbase), so is windshield washer fluid reservior. Heater grid equipment & circuitry are gone as well.

Did you happen to weigh any of that as it came out?

Also, what's your current weight?

If you want to go even farther, gut the firewall and build an aluminum one. Have you had your truck on any scales yet? I'd be interested to see what it is at each corner. If not find someone around you that races and see if they'd scale it for you.

Havent weighed it yet, nor have I weighed any of the parts; most of the piddly stuff I chunked when it was removed.

Firewall is a bad ideal unless you have a promod level cage.

If I make it to that dyno event I'll show you what you can and cant cut on the fenders. Same on the bed. I would recommend you cut the bed down to nothing more than the outer skins and a aluminum floor/tubs.

ditching the 3 factory seats and sliders going to non reclining corbeaus lost me ~90 lbs (used some aluminum angle iron brackets bolted to the factory mounts on the floor and to the seats, took a little bit to get them aligned perfectly)

The seats are for sale too....

I took 7.2 lbs of wiring out of my engine bay today! All of it was leftover from the previous owner's snowplow setup.

ditching the 3 factory seats and sliders going to non reclining corbeaus lost me ~90 lbs (used some aluminum angle iron brackets bolted to the factory mounts on the floor and to the seats, took a little bit to get them aligned perfectly)

The seats are for sale too....

Baja's or...? And I assume the factory seats are the ones for sale, right-

Factory center seat/console from the 40/20/40 split bench weighs in at 32# with bracketry.

Alot less. But then it gets into a legal thing.

Removing the wheel and therefor the airbag would prevent the sale of it as a street vehicle. (technically).

That column weighs a ton

Baja's or...? And I assume the factory seats are the ones for sale, right-

Factory center seat/console from the 40/20/40 split bench weighs in at 32# with bracketry.

the corbeaus are for sale I will get you some pics if you are interested

Negative, you can remove it or disable it. It is illegal if you sell the vehicle with a non functioning restraint system. Or if you have an airbag light on and attempt to hide it from the buyer.

This is from and SRS certification class I attended last fall. Actually I think you can sell it with them gone provided the buyer is informed. (written form and signed by them for legal reasons)

hmmmm, any online docs i can read? no offense I just like to see the supporting documentation on this type of thing.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1662108&page=2

Originally Posted by NHTSA
The need to alter or remove federally required safety equipment poses a problem because there is a statutory provision prohibiting making such features inoperative (49 U.S.C. section 30122).1 While that prohibition does not apply to vehicle owners, it does apply to modifications made by the types of commercial entities that modify vehicles for persons with disabilities

In other works, if you aint a dealer, hack away.

However:
NC law.
§ 20‑136.2. Air bag installation.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to knowingly install or reinstall any object in lieu of an air bag, other than an air bag that was designed in accordance with federal safety regulations for the make, model, and year of vehicle, as part of a vehicle inflation restraint system. Any person, firm, or corporation violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (2003‑258, s. 3.)

Although it does not say that they cannot be made inoperable. Its aimed preventing you from installing a dummy bag.

The issue comes with your ins company. May want to give them a call and see what they say.

Back