Truck died...wont start!!!

Black Cloud

Rollin Smoke Diesel
My truck died this morning on the way to work. It sputtered and I went to a roll and turned the Comp off and it came back alive until I stopped at a redlight and it died. I tried to restart but it wont fire over. The fuel pressure was 12psi at the time now when I turn the key it goes to 2psi but drops back down to 0. The lift pump is only a couple months old. Could it be dead already or might it be the injection pump. That was replaced about 30k miles ago. The truck doesn't display code. What is my first step?

Check the fuel filter, it could have gotten a load of gunk and stopped up.

Loosen the output banjo on the LP and see if you are squirting fuel everywhere, you should be. If you are not you have one of two things, bad LP which is possible, but not likely with what you just described, OR you have a blockage from the tank to the pump causing fuel starvation issues. Follow the lines from the tank to the pump to the filter to the IP and check every connection for leaks and look at the lines for signs of crimping. From the sounds of things you are having a fuel starvation issue rather than IP or LP problems.

If you have fuel in quantity at all connections and no kinked or crimped lines try loosening any of the injector lines going into the side of the head and seeing if you have fuel there. If you do the truck should crank and run but I doubt you have fuel there.

You might want to remove the LP and see if something has blocked the feed line to it, it's not hard on a banjo bolt fitting.

Also check the electrical connections to the LP, if you have any FP at all it's still running but it's worth a shot while you are there.

What kind of fuel system are you running? If it's stock disregard the following.

How old are the lines? are they rubber? Most fuel hose will stand up well to diesel but if you were sold some not so good hose or something not rated for diesel the lines can swell tot he point of cutting of fuel flow. Also if you have started running BioDiesel it is very rough on rubber lines and could cause them to swell shut as well.

I'll PM you my cell phone so you can give me a ring if you need more help.

Last edited:
I have the vulcan relocation kit. I cahnged the fuel filter last weekend. I'll mess with it this evening...kids 5 day a week football practice takes away a couple hours a day. Thanks for the replies

Should the lp outlet spray out fuel? I loosened the outlet and it was a pretty weak drip for a second.

Code read 1693, spoke with Bill, he gave me a few ideas to try. I looked all the hoses and lines over, they all look good. I ordered a lift pump, should be here tomorrow or Monday. I hooked the outlet side back up to the lp and turned the key not even a buzz from it.

The pump didn't die, the motor did :(

Don't throw that one away, you can pull the top cover off and see what it looks like inside, you might have a piece of trash that has the pump stuck. It's either that or the brushes decided to fry themselves. I had a Holley blue do that, took the sucker apart and a little time and a little emory cloth I now have a perfectly serviceable spare.

Glad to hear you are on the way to getting the truck going James, don't hesitate to call me if I can be of any further help.

Still waiting for the lift pump. Just curious, when the injection pump goes out, wouldn't there still be fuel pressure on the gauge when you turn the key on?

Yes, if the IP goes out the truck just won't run but you will still have fuel pressure assuming you have a good lift pump.

You could run down to the parts house and pick up a Holley Blue to stick in place of the stock type unit, that would get the truck back up and going anyway.

Back