5" exhaust install issue ?

Mazak

I installed my 5" turbo back diamond eye exhaust today and was unable to get the flange on the pipe close enough to the turbo flange ,all the way around, where i felt comfortable clamping the v-band down. It looks like there is at least an 1/8" gap on one side in the best position and its against the frame rail in that position as well. I don't want to torque it down and screw up the flange and have it leak.

Any suggestions ?

wunwp4.jpg

b7m0s9.jpg

Last edited:
Stock turbo?

You may need a second hand under the truck to position it so the flange is flat. Check it before you put the v band clamp on it.

Break the elbow loose on the turbo as well so you can move the down pipe away from the frame

Break the elbow loose on the turbo as well so you can move the down pipe away from the frame

I took the clamp loose and the elbow seems to be stuck on there really good, the original down pipe was stuck pretty good too!

Just was hesitant in trying to break the elbow loose as I didn't want a problem with reattaching .

But looks like thats what I am going to have to do.

Turbo is stock and will be changed in the near future,probably the whole motor will be changed.

Thanks for everyones input.

Yup locating pins. If your a 1/8" to small on the flange to elbow it's the wrong down pipe.

But there is a clamp available for that! Measure both to see!

Yup locating pins. If your a 1/8" to small on the flange to elbow it's the wrong down pipe.

But there is a clamp available for that! Measure both to see!

The flange is flush against the elbow on one side and 180 degrees from that there is the gap. It's not to small , I just can't get the flange flush to the elbow because there is not enough room to manipulate down pipe.

Called diamond eye and decided to go with a 4" down pipe. They said it would probably give more torque anyway.

Called diamond eye and decided to go with a 4" down pipe. They said it would probably give more torque anyway.

More torque huh?

It sounds like the product they designed doesn't fit the application they made it for.

Last edited:
More torque huh?

It sounds like the product they designed doesn't fit the application they made it for.

The fellow may have said more low end torque.

They may be blowing smoke:st: but at the end of the day I doubt that I will be able to tell a difference no matter which pipe is on there.The 4" piece will give more room. They are giving me the down pipe, I had already got another piece due to a dent in shipping.
A couple more pieces and I will have another exhaust system for my other truck !

I may cut bend and then weld the 5" pipe and use the 4" down pipe if I both it up.

I had an issue with that same pipe on my 07 2 years ago. the down pipe cracked in half when I hit a bump right at the first bend. the fitment of their product was not my favorite but just my opinion.

For next install, I usually get the brand holding the turbo to cast piece loose, then get the downpipe on loose, install the rest of the exhaust with hangers, then come back and tighten in order from the engine to the tip.
After you drive it once, might as well do another torque. Then you should be good.

Back