7.3 majot blowby, time for rebuild

Downtownbrown

I recently picked up a 95 f250 eclb powerstroke with 250k on it,i got excited at the price and the fact that it ran as well as it did that i completley forgot to check the blowby :bang i havent taken the head off yet but i am ASSUMING that the #2 or #4 injector hung open and blew a hole through the piston, the blow by is a heavy puff that sings along to the miss of the motor.

I am about to start work on my dodge and i really cant afford 2 projects at once so i wanted to know if it was possible to just replace the one piston so long as the cylinder walls are in good shape? Im not looking to completly rebuild it as it just wouldnt be worth it to me since it needs a set of injectors also. Trying to do the bare minimum to have an extra truck i can drive! Any advice is greatly appreciated

Just realized after posting this there is a obs and sd section, maybe someone can move it for me?

Last edited:
blow by from the oil fill or the exhaust pipe. 7.3 injectors fail often. if its from the exhaust pipe chances are its just a couple crummy injectors.

7.3 powerstroke blowby dead cylinder - YouTube another thing,when i had the valve cover off after the truck was shut off smoke was coming from the front most cylinder, i plan on compression checking this weekend, i guess if all other cylinders are close to spec then ill just replace this one piston? Also the only 2 injectors on the driver side that have oil coming from them are #2 and #8

If there is no oil return out of the injectors they are junk most likely.
Get a good scan tool, do a buzz test. Throw a set of harnesses on it, and the injectors it needs. You'd be surprised how "well" it may run when all the injectors are firing.
Get ready for a disaster. 7.3's are bigger piles of chit than 6.0's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Same. And all the damn maxforce variants of them for the years after. Cant wait to he rid of everything that resembles a 6.0.

When I was in the shop before I went to trucking again, the 6.7's were the best ford engine I've felt with.
The rest of them were complete piles.

7.3s are worse than a 6.0? That's a first to me! And I just finished a night mare 7.3 build this spring!

Personal opinion obviously as every redneck backwoods diesel know it all thinks it's still the greatest engine ever built.
I have a severe hatred for them.

To each their own. But when 1 in 20 are a 7.3 coming ito the shop compared to 19 6.0's there is a clear winner and looser

Back