No overdrive now tc won't unlock

79fordcrew

Banned
Ok guys need some help. My stock tranny went out so I was surfing Craigslist and a guy had a a built Suncoast for sale so I bought it. My truck is an 04.5 and trans came out of 06. Got it put in and went for a test drive and it wouldn't go into overdrive. Brought it home put a scan tool on and it said I had a trans temp circuit high and low input on pressure line. Cleared codes and went for another drive still no of but when I came back towards town the tc locked up and now won't unlock. Other than this the trans felt amazing. I looked at codes again this time I had a low input to tcm. Cleared it and put it in drive and it killed it . No codes came back up it will kill it in any gear except reverse. I unhooked my 8pin connector and it still does it.im lost on this one and hoping maybe it's the tc and od solenoids. The truck the trans came out of had an engine fire and it burnt the wires to the trans and the flat plug that has like 5 wires running to it not sure what it is but I took mine off my trans and put on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It may have got some trash in the solenoid screens, I would pull them out and replace or clean them and go for a drive. I assume it has fresh fluid and a new filter in it?

I'm no automatic expert, but are the solenoid packs the same on the '03-'04 trans as the '05-'07s?
Also, a 2006 uses the TVM, whereas a '03-'04 uses a cable with an arm.
I'm pretty sure you would have swapped that around, though.

Mark.

The scanner I have won't tell me if it's commanding od. No codes and I hooked a wire to pin 6 and grounded it to see if I had a faulty harness. Where is of port and what kind of gauge is needed. Also when I changed selenoids of tc there was yellow like plastic all chewed up in pan. There was like half a yellow plastic almost like a seal in bottom of the pan. Would that be the od seal maybe

The scanner I have won't tell me if it's commanding od. No codes and I hooked a wire to pin 6 and grounded it to see if I had a faulty harness. Where is of port and what kind of gauge is needed. Also when I changed selenoids of tc there was yellow like plastic all chewed up in pan. There was like half a yellow plastic almost like a seal in bottom of the pan. Would that be the od seal maybe

The OD seal is black, I have got some ATF from Oreilys before that had some yellow trash in it and clogged my trans up almost the same way. It was a plastic film.

Last edited:
Ironically that is exactly where I got the atf from but there was like half a round yellow thin plastic washer like thing in the bottom of the pan. I cleaned it all real good and tranny is working flawlessly other than no od. I don't have a gauge to test pressure. I do have the od unit off my old trans and I am going to throw it on and see if that fixes it as I have the d&j gp selenoid and transducer in it and still no od so my only option is to throw it in. I am pretty sure that is my problem.

Be a whole lot less work to find a gauge and throw on it, you can make one up from parts at any hardware store. You can switch od housings if you want, but the piston is what engages od, and the piston for that is in the trans assembly, not od assembly.

It was the overdrive. It's fixed now the piston comes off with od unit and the outer seal was torn. I still plan on getting gauges

Not trying to be smart with you but isn't the piston the round deal with an inner and outer seal on it? Maybe it's called something else. Either way the outer seal was tore up so I swapped and now all is well. Thanks for all the help everyone

What would cause my tranny to slip to the point it won't move but then you can shut it off for a few seconds turn it on and it will take off fine for a block and then start doing the same thing. Plugged filter, rebuild time, governer pressure?

Back