Delayed 1-2nd shifts 727

rs359

Well I finally got project NOBUCKS up and running and the new trans the truck was supposed to have has issues:rolleyes: I have put about 45miles on it it does shift but 1 to 2nd happens just under 25mph. It hesitates as it shifts but does not slip. 2nd to 3rd seems OK and under light throttle pressure will shift sooner .
I have checked the throttle value cable and it seems to be adjusted properly . The valve body is missing the ball and or spring that makes the detents felt. I am planning on replacing the valve body is there any thing else to check or adjust while I am there? Thanks Rich

With light throttle my stock 89 was in 3rd gear at 30 mph. Shifts should come later if TV cable is correct at increased throttle. I had a problem once of truck falling flat (defueling ) before shifts. Backed out high idle screw some and now is gone.

I think the hesitation could be the motor hitting the rev limiter but 20mph plus in first gear is winding the motor pretty good , but it shifts at the same point regardless of throttle pressure. 2nd to 3rd will shift sooner with less pressure and later with more . When your truck was defueling before shifting was it only at full throttle or all the time? I never thought the 94 engine could be the reason. Thanks Rich

I can hit 35 mph in 1st easy with my current 89 727 with 3.08's. She is turning 3200 or better. The defuel before shift was at full throttle only. The tv cable was fully extended but the gov was defueling before it could shift. Adjusted high idle out and readjusted tv cable to match and it is fine.

so at 20 I should not be defueling ? I drove it to work again today (I have 55 miles on it now) I would think that if it were going to come apart it would have done so by now . Unfortunately it will be next Tuesday before I can change the valve body out . Thanks Rich

Have someone give it full throttle ( while engine is off ) and see if you can move the throttle linkage further. You might not be getting full throttle with the pedal on the floor. Defueling at 20 sounds like you are no where near wide open. Some people get away with bending the gass pedal up which in turn gives more travel before it hits the floor. Check it out.....

Thanks RichieO I had a hard time making the throttle linkage work to the P pump since Dodge never put one in a first gen .It is getting full throttle and the trans the detent cable is also maxing out at full throttle (had a friend help when I was finishing detent ) . If I stand on it it wont shift at all till I let off . I picked up a book on the 727 and it says that the valve body can cause the delayed shifts 1to 2nd. Tuesday I will have to change it and hope for the best if that doesnt fix it I will have to start saving for a new trans.:thankyou2:

Ya. I didn't see you had the p pump till after I wrote all the posts. MY BAD.. Kind of compairing things that are diffrent. O well good luck.

The motor is different the trans is the same Other than the detent all of the trans problems are from first gen parts. Thats why I posted here . I am hoping to change the valvebody tomarrow but am unsure if there is difference between gas and Diesel valvebodies . Thanks Rich

Back