Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How to turn up a 3406E?

1998 Peterbilt 3406E, whats the best cost efficient way to turn them up?

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Fuel temp resistor gives them an extra 50hp.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
mkoontz1

Name: mkoontz1
Title: Enough to be dangerous!
Member`s Gallery
Pittsburgh Power box..

Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
Fuel temp resistor gives them an extra 50hp.
6999 trim codes will give you another 40 or 50.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
Another thing, depending on what the stock settings are you can have cat flash a different program in it, the 550 heavy haul program runs real good. There's also programs floating around on the net that you can get flashed like the Australian programs but unless you know your dealer real well you'll have to find a private guy to flash those.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
dirty_max

Name: dirty_max
Member`s Gallery
if your in good with a dealer, they can put trim codes in, ive not heard of 6999, but i know theres many that work. they can also change your fls fts numbers if they know the special numbers and know how to wash an ecm, for free. having a rerate done is like 400 to 450 i do believe. fuel temp and inlet air temp sensors work well too. be very careful with bullydog or pittsburgh power, they can do a lot of damgage real fast if you dont watch what your doin. we had one melt down on our dyno one day cuz they were playing with their bullydog on it

Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
dzchey21

Name: dzchey21
Title: Single turbo 6.4
Member`s Gallery
Honestly if the truck is a 550 just leave it alone...

Some of the new flashes Ect don't seam.to actually net anymore power on the dyno

Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchey21 View Post
Honestly if the truck is a 550 just leave it alone...

Some of the new flashes Ect don't seam.to actually net anymore power on the dyno
you are right but different fls/fts numbers and injectors trim codes will get you a little more

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
PDI and forget it. Have 3 done and they will bury a PP box. 700hp to the tires and does NOT get hot. Another option is there is a modified 7CZ 600hp file around that had the timing bumped that runs really well. Can get that done cheaper than the PDI tune if you don't want as much power.

Is yours a 40pin ECM (5EK prefix) or a 70pin (2WS prefix)? Changing injector trim codes can add a little. The fuel temp mod adds a little also but only until the fuel actually gets hot.

Stay away from Cat all they will do is charge you to flash a low NoX file in your ECM and you will not be happy.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
well that all depends on what cat dealer you go to and how well you know them. i know there are a lot of bad ones out there, but we can uprate, change fls/fts, and injector trim codes for free, depending on how well we like that customer. speaking of pdi, do you know if you hhave to send the ecm to them? i know we have put a couple pdi manifolds on for guys and im not real happy with how they fit, thats all i know about them. by the way jfaulkner, i love that pic haha

Last edited by dirty_max; 08-31-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Member`s Gallery
Be careful though some serial #'s of the e models like to break cranks and window blocks.

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
Bullrack

Name: Bullrack
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
PDI and forget it. Have 3 done and they will bury a PP box. 700hp to the tires and does NOT get hot. Another option is there is a modified 7CZ 600hp file around that had the timing bumped that runs really well. Can get that done cheaper than the PDI tune if you don't want as much power.

Is yours a 40pin ECM (5EK prefix) or a 70pin (2WS prefix)? Changing injector trim codes can add a little. The fuel temp mod adds a little also but only until the fuel actually gets hot.

Stay away from Cat all they will do is charge you to flash a low NoX file in your ECM and you will not be happy.
Listen to this guy, he's not steering you wrong! You want to talk yellow motor, ask him and follow directions carefully.
'03 F350 CrewCab Lariat 4X4 DRW 12V Cummins, P&P head with 60# valvesprings, Colt cam, 4K GSK, 20* Timing, GDS 60mm HX35/HT3b Twins, JGS Ext. Gate, Fuelab, ZF6spd with Valair Ceramic/Kevlar, manual hubs, 3.73's, 5.5" lift w/285 Dayton Timberlines, 2" Wheel Spacers.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_max View Post
well that all depends on what cat dealer you go to and how well you know them. i know there are a lot of bad ones out there, but we can uprate, change fls/fts, and injector trim codes for free, depending on how well we like that customer. speaking of pdi, do you know if you hhave to send the ecm to them? i know we have put a couple pdi manifolds on for guys and im not real happy with how they fit, thats all i know about them. by the way jfaulkner, i love that pic haha
Anyone with Cat ET can change trim codes and there are PLENTY of guys with factory cat flash files that can also change the fls/fts but if you really want to make them run you need modified flash files.

There are a couple of modified files that got leaked and have spread around, one will brick your ECM. That's why you have to know who your dealing with. The 7CZ file (70pin ecm) that's made it to a few people's hard drives was modified by Jared (owner of PDI) a LONG time ago and was leaked and runs really well. There is also a modded Acert file (120pin) I've heard about that get's the same reviews.

Bottom line the ONLY way to get big power without changing any hard parts (cam, injectors ect) is to have someone flash your ECM with a good file. By good I mean NOTHING you'll be able to get at a dealer, all their files are the latest EPA files that will totally castrate your truck. The other way is to swap the cam and bigger injectors.

As far as having your ECM flashed by PDI you don't have to sent your ECM off, you can just find your local dealer and they now have the ability to flash Cat/Cummins while you wait (Detroit is in the works).

Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
^^^you can change trim codes with a pro link as well.

The 6999 codes work good for me but some guys have said they don't like the way they idle. I believe 5232 are the alternate codes.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
^^^you can change trim codes with a pro link as well.

The 6999 codes work good for me but some guys have said they don't like the way they idle. I believe 5232 are the alternate codes.

yea 5232 is what i like to use.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Anyone with Cat ET can change trim codes and there are PLENTY of guys with factory cat flash files that can also change the fls/fts but if you really want to make them run you need modified flash files.

There are a couple of modified files that got leaked and have spread around, one will brick your ECM. That's why you have to know who your dealing with. The 7CZ file (70pin ecm) that's made it to a few people's hard drives was modified by Jared (owner of PDI) a LONG time ago and was leaked and runs really well. There is also a modded Acert file (120pin) I've heard about that get's the same reviews.

Bottom line the ONLY way to get big power without changing any hard parts (cam, injectors ect) is to have someone flash your ECM with a good file. By good I mean NOTHING you'll be able to get at a dealer, all their files are the latest EPA files that will totally castrate your truck. The other way is to swap the cam and bigger injectors.

As far as having your ECM flashed by PDI you don't have to sent your ECM off, you can just find your local dealer and they now have the ability to flash Cat/Cummins while you wait (Detroit is in the works).
i agree a modified flash file would be the best way to make good power but how much does it cost? cuz i believe that the original request was most cost efficient , which to me means whats the cheapest way. and as long as you have all the old flash files, which are not the latest epa flash files, im guessing that would be pretty cheap. just a guess cuz i dont know what pdi costs

Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i agree a modified flash file would be the best way to make good power but how much does it cost? cuz i believe that the original request was most cost efficient , which to me means whats the cheapest way. and as long as you have all the old flash files, which are not the latest epa flash files, im guessing that would be pretty cheap. just a guess cuz i dont know what pdi costs
The guy I know that does them charges $500 for an "in class" flash. Meaning if you "could" have had it done at Cat, like updating a 475 to 550hp. This is for an early non EPA flash. If you want something done that Cat would not do like flash a 435hp engine to 550/600hp. Or flash an MBN motor with a 6NZ/7CZ file it's like $800. PDI is quite a bit more but for some engines like the Acert there isn't a pre-EPA file so you have to go custom. Also if you want to delete ALL the emissions junk off a Cat/Cummins/Detroit custom is the only way to go.

PM me if your interested in the 600hp modded file and I'll give you more info.

PDI prices have recently went up because of the cost of making the tuning tools so dealers could flash the custom files instead of having to send the ECM to be done.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
haha yea i tried goin from 435 to 550 on an mbn once, ET wouldnt allow it

Old 10-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #19
DieselDave1

Name: DieselDave1
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
haha yea i tried goin from 435 to 550 on an mbn once, ET wouldnt allow it
I had my 94 5EK flash from a 435 to a 600 5DS file and what a difference. I already had the 58's injectors in it. Im putting the stage 1 B/W turbo tomorrow. Bought the turbo unassemble in 3 pieces plus 2 clamps and cost almost 1/2 the price from these performance shops. Without the stage 1 turbo, it has been FUN to drive. No heating problems what so ever. EGT's never above 900. Just been watching the manifold pressure due to still running the stock turbo and dont want to overspeed it. Can't wait to see once I install the stage 1 what it will do.

Last edited by DieselDave1; 10-06-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDave1 View Post
I had my 94 5EK flash from a 435 to a 600 5DS file and what a difference. I already had the 58's injectors in it. Im putting the stage 1 B/W turbo tomorrow. Bought the turbo unassemble in 3 pieces plus 2 clamps and cost almost 1/2 the price from these performance shops. Without the stage 1 turbo, it has been FUN to drive. No heating problems what so ever. EGT's never above 900. Just been watching the manifold pressure due to still running the stock turbo and dont want to overspeed it. Can't wait to see once I install the stage 1 what it will do.
Was it just over $1200? That's what I've got them for before, and it's identical to the $2400 PDI charger but with no warranty. (if you paid me twice the price I would warranty it too ) On my 6NZ it builds around 40psi with a PDI stage 1 tune, only downfall was the larger exhaust housing kinda killed the jake performance and with dual external air cleaners it's f'ing loud so no driving with the windows down on a long pull.

Closed Thread