Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Valair Clutch
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
gecoveyc

Name: gecoveyc
Title: Diesel Nut
Member`s Gallery
Shout out to Valair Clutches!!! Street Triple Review

Just wanted to stop by and give a shout out to Dan Vallance and the Valair team. I have run one of their Street Triple Disk clutches on my 2005 NV5600 daily driven truck which has been at 700+ hp/1500+ft lbs. since it's install in February 2011 and just had it freshened up and upgraded this week. I daily drive my truck with this clutch and have absolutely no complaints at all. Out of the 5 clutches I've run in my truck (various brands and specs) this one hands down takes the prize for best all around. This is not a bashing thread on anybody else's clutches, just my personal opinion and preferences on clutches out of the brands I have tried.

-Feels as easy to engage as the stocker (when I put this clutch in the truck in Feb. 2011 I literally called Dan before I drove it because I thought it was too easy to engage and thought I had done something wrong in the install...it's that much easier to engage than the other brands/clutches I had run)

-Shifts lightning fast...no engagement delay at all (I use the truck for daily driving, drag racing, dynoing, and raising hell and it works flawlessly for all of them)

-Less rattle than any of the double disk clutches I've ran in the past.

-Less take off shudder than any dual disk I ran in the past. The only time this clutch shudders the truck is taking off on an uphill slope in 2nd gear. From flat ground it is smooth as glass. I honestly think the only reason mine shudders sometimes is because it's so heavy.

This is a corny video I made when I finally got a Go Pro camera several months ago but it shows how fast the triple shifts.

6 Speed Quick Shifting - YouTube

Back in September Dave Matthews and I hosted the Amarillo Diesel Shootout. This included drag racing and dynoing. My truck made 743hp and 1537ft lbs on the John's Floor-It dyno. This is the same setup I've been running since I installed the triple disk. The night before the event I was restless and out on some back roads practicing my launch and shifting a little bit and hurt the clutch/tranny doing some very hard launches in my fatazz truck (weight at the time was 8400-8500lbs with me in it). I take the blame for this. At the event I lined up 5 times to make passes. Each time, doing decently hard launches at the same weight, it was great and lightning fast as usual, launching in 3rd gear and hammering 4th no problem....but for the life of me it would not engage enough to go into 5th or 6th gear under WOT at 4000 rpms, so I didn't get a full run out of it. This is completely my fault, not the clutches since I messed it up. I have multiple 13.0x passes in the truck with this clutch but they were with my old setup sitting between 550-600hp.

Here is a video of 2 of the passes at the event when I was having trouble.

The truck was on it's way to a low-mid 12sec pass (auto truck I'm racing ran 12.8-12.9s all day including this pass and I was in front until I went to shift to shift to 5th). Sorry my brother is the worst camera man on earth.

Gecovey and Tim-Heads up - YouTube

Here is the first pass, better video

Gecovey 1st pass-clutch failure-15.77 - YouTube

So I finally had a break at my shop to look into my personal truck this past weekend. Dan was at SEMA all week and out of contact. I do not have his cell phone number or email address. I literally sent the Valair Facebook page a message asking Dan if I could pull it and ship it to him over the weekend because that was the only time window I had to pull it and the only way I could think of to get ahold of him while he was out of town. DAN VALLANCE himself, while waiting in an airport somewhere between Las Vegas and Texas on his trip home from SEMA, took the time to answer my facebook message and help me out. No questions asked, told me to ship it to him and he would take care of it no problem. That is awesome and un-heard of customer service in my book and I truly appreciate it Dan. I also enjoy when I call your office, regardless of whether I'm talking to the nice lady that answers the phone, Gary or any of the guys in the shop, or Dan himself I am always treated like a real human being and every single one of my questions gets answered in a friendly down to earth manner. These are some great people to do business with hands down.

Long story short, I pulled the clutch out and sent it to Dan and the Valair team this Monday (11/5), it arrived at his shop Wednesday afternoon (11/7), and it is already completely rebuilt with new upgraded parts and has been shipped out back to me as of yesterday morning (11/8). THAT IS LESS THAN 24 TURN AROUND on a completely rebuilt and upgraded clutch. Great people, great service, great products. Anybody looking for a clutch, give Dan a call and he will take care of you no problem.

Thanks Dan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
05 2500, NV5600, Valair Street Triple, Smarty SSR, ED Billet 66mm, Wicked Stg 3, 120HP sticks, HTT Intercooler, Pusher Intake,ATS Exhaust Manifold, K&N, FASS 150/150, 6" Black mitres, Hamilton Valve Springs, Pushrods, 181/210 cam, A1 H11 headstuds

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
ahale2772

Name: ahale2772
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
cool, thinking of going with a triple, stuck between this one and a kenneys

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahale2772 View Post
cool, thinking of going with a triple, stuck between this one and a kenneys
This clutch is one bad mother all the way around. It's the same clutch SMOKE MACHINE (John Weatherby) used before he went strictly sled pulling. He ran a 12.88 with this clutch in his 07 dually a couple years ago using this clutch. You will not be disappointed.
05 2500, NV5600, Valair Street Triple, Smarty SSR, ED Billet 66mm, Wicked Stg 3, 120HP sticks, HTT Intercooler, Pusher Intake,ATS Exhaust Manifold, K&N, FASS 150/150, 6" Black mitres, Hamilton Valve Springs, Pushrods, 181/210 cam, A1 H11 headstuds

Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Now i don't know whether to sell my truck for a car i really want, put in an auto, or get this clutch...

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Schrowang

Name: Schrowang
Title: Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Now i don't know whether to sell my truck for a car i really want, put in an auto, or get this clutch...
Get this clutch, get me one too.

Posted while playing HALO 4

Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
From my experience....sports cars/nice cars get old quick after having a high power diesel truck.

Tomorrow is actually exactly 8 years since I bought my 05 on the lot new. Since then I have owned an 08 CBR 600 rocket, 08 Hemi Ram 1500, 04 Z06 Corvette, 06 SRT8 Charger, and an 06 Vette as secondary vehicles....long story short I didn't keep any of them longer than a year because they ended up just sitting around taking up space in my garage. They're fun for a while but it wears off and I always end up preferring the truck over anything else. Now I just have an 04 Z71 Tahoe for a parts runner/road trip vehicle. Cheap and simple.

Everyone has their own personal preference and opinion but this is just my experience. Nothing I have come across has been able to take my attention away from the truck. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You won't be dissappointed if you decide to go with the triple disk

Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Lol! I want an 85 MR2 with a red/black top swap. Why? Because 9k RPMs and a go-cart are fun combos.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
StainlessRRA

Name: StainlessRRA
Title: Advocatus diaboli
Member`s Gallery
I've always wanted to try a triple, one of these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen View Post
It would have helped if the picture didn't look like a Helen Keller Painting.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Lol! I want an 85 MR2 with a red/black top swap. Why? Because 9k RPMs and a go-cart are fun combos.
Touche, that is definitely a different animal than anything I have had haha that would be awesome

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
I've always wanted to try a triple, one of these days!
Do it. You will wonder why you ever ran a dual disk.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
StainlessRRA

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecoveyc View Post
Do it. You will wonder why you ever ran a dual disk.
I know exactly why I run one. Because one day somebody called me up and said "Hey, do you want a dual disk?" So I get the feeling I won't ever regret having this one!

Quote:

Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I know exactly why I run one. Because one day somebody called me up and said "Hey, do you want a dual disk?" So I get the feeling I won't ever regret having this one!
Touché haha

Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Hey Kyle. Want a SB dual disk? LoL

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
StainlessRRA

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
Hey Kyle. Want a SB dual disk? LoL
My truck starts just fine now ya smartass. So I have no complaints! I was treated VERY well by Peter for something that wasn't his fault. Can't go wrong with either company! Dan and Peter are both great guys to deal with.

Quote:

Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My truck starts just fine now ya smartass. So I have no complaints! I was treated VERY well by Peter for something that wasn't his fault. Can't go wrong with either company! Dan and Peter are both great guys to deal with.
I definitely don't have anything bad to say about Peter. He helped me out and rebuilt 2 of my dual disks a couple years ago before I switched to the triple. Great guy as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Clutch is out for delivery today. Hopefully I'll have time to get it put back in tomorrow and get ya'll an update on the new and improved unit. I'll keep ya'll posted. Excited to get it back in the truck and get it running.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
smoke machine

Name: smoke machine
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I told you he'd take care of you! Never let me down. It's everything in front or behind my clutch that keeps giving up lol

Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
gecoveyc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke machine View Post
I told you he'd take care of you! Never let me down. It's everything in front or behind my clutch that keeps giving up lol
Yeah I knew you were having a bunch of trouble lately. Hope your luck turns around for the better soon. And you were definitely right. Switching to the triple was one of the smartest decisions I ever made with this truck.

Closed Thread