Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #21
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
So they ride and drive the same but a 4 link is better? If you can get the same ride quality with 4 moving parts as you can with 10, why wouldn't you go with the simplest setup?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
3 and 4 link have far more adjustability. Like it was said before, radius arms can be set up to provide a fine ride for the road, but the second you start taking performance 3 or 4 link suspensions are superior. This has been proven for decades in the offroad world.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
But we're not talking performance, we're talking ride quality on an oem truck.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #24
atvracn08

Name: atvracn08
Member`s Gallery
Something must be wrong with the work truck I drive. 2008 F350 ECSB SRW had it since new now has 60k miles, rides worse than any dodge I have owned or ridden in. It does ok on new asphalt but on anything else (dirt roads, grassy fields, asphalt in rough shape) it spills whatever you have in the cup holders and bounces around the road bad enough that the ass end kicks out every few seconds. In the sand it is by far the worst axle hopping vehicle known to man, 2wd or 4wd.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
My '14 rides like a very smooth car. Just sayin...

Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #26
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
But we're not talking performance, we're talking ride quality on an oem truck.

As far as a stock truck's ride quality going down the road it's fine. Ideal? Absolutely not as radius arms cannot be engineered to handle and behave like a well setup 3 or 4 link. But radius arms are cheap to produce, simple, and easy to package. Hard to argue with that logic from a manufacturing standpoint.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #27
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvracn08 View Post
Something must be wrong with the work truck I drive. 2008 F350 ECSB SRW had it since new now has 60k miles, rides worse than any dodge I have owned or ridden in. It does ok on new asphalt but on anything else (dirt roads, grassy fields, asphalt in rough shape) it spills whatever you have in the cup holders and bounces around the road bad enough that the ass end kicks out every few seconds. In the sand it is by far the worst axle hopping vehicle known to man, 2wd or 4wd.
Replace the shocks with a quality shock. Sounds like you don't have any rebound or dampening control with the current shocks.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
kubotaorange76

Name: kubotaorange76
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
As far as a stock truck's ride quality going down the road it's fine. Ideal? Absolutely not as radius arms cannot be engineered to handle and behave like a well setup 3 or 4 link. But radius arms are cheap to produce, simple, and easy to package. Hard to argue with that logic from a manufacturing standpoint.
Would you consider dodges 4 link well set up with such short links?

I agree with top post, I would rather have the radius arm in a truck because it will be much simpler to keep in alignment and change bushings down the road.

I always a fan of the 67-79 ford cast radius arm setup for off road, converted a few Dana 60's over to that with a wristed arm

Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
I don't see much of an issue with the geometry/link length, but the links could be a good bit flatter which is where initial shock of hitting a bump comes from, but overall it's just a generic design meant to please the masses and not really dialed in for anything specific.

Ford's cast radius arms in stock form are absolutely terrible... extend them ~6" with at least a 1.25" heim at the end, triangulate them, plate the sides, and THEN you have something decent for off-road as long as you don't mind insane amounts of body roll.

I'm also curious how you used Ferd's cast radius arms on a D60. The tubes on a D60 are too big in diameter for the radius arm to fit over even without a bushing....

Last edited by whitneyj; 02-26-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #30
chevota84

Member`s Gallery
They fit with different C's. We did a 79 f150 last year

Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #31
kubotaorange76

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
I don't see much of an issue with the geometry/link length, but the links could be a good bit flatter which is where initial shock of hitting a bump comes from, but overall it's just a generic design meant to please the masses and not really dialed in for anything specific.

Ford's cast radius arms in stock form are absolutely terrible... extend them ~6" with at least a 1.25" heim at the end, triangulate them, plate the sides, and THEN you have something decent for off-road as long as you don't mind insane amounts of body roll.

I'm also curious how you used Ferd's cast radius arms on a D60. The tubes on a D60 are too big in diameter for the radius arm to fit over even without a bushing....
That was what I was saying about the link length, being longer makes them stay flatter longer for a better ride, especially once someone puts a leveling spacer on hah

I wouldn't say terrible, they are great for budget minded wheelers who don't want to deal with the axle wrap of leaf springs or spend the $ to build a 4 link.

I always just plated the sides with 1/2" and extended with helms. Wrist one with a replaceable pin for slow off roading.

Fords cast arms onto a 60 is a very very common swap. People that sas a 78-79 60 under 87-96 f150's do it as well as rangers, explorers broncos etc.

Old school way was pre 78 cast wedge axle you grind the wedges off and grind them out to fit the slightly larger 3.125" tube and weld on, now you can buy them made to fit 60's tubes and what ever degree bushings you want.

Now that we are off on a tangent...

I think ford's radius arms provide a simple effective reliable suspension link, especially the new, since dodges "4 link" uses such short arms resulting in poor geometry through travel I don't see a loss here

Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #32
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
ok, you know how Fords get that horrible death wobble half the time you put a leveling kit on them?

oh wait...

Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #33
kubotaorange76

Member`s Gallery
haha??

damn trac bars

Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #34
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
Seems like a huge step in the right direction for durability. Damn frontend components are bigger than my f550 service truck.

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
Hurley

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotaorange76 View Post
That was what I was saying about the link length, being longer makes them stay flatter longer for a better ride, especially once someone puts a leveling spacer on hah

I wouldn't say terrible, they are great for budget minded wheelers who don't want to deal with the axle wrap of leaf springs or spend the $ to build a 4 link.

I always just plated the sides with 1/2" and extended with helms. Wrist one with a replaceable pin for slow off roading.

Fords cast arms onto a 60 is a very very common swap. People that sas a 78-79 60 under 87-96 f150's do it as well as rangers, explorers broncos etc.

Old school way was pre 78 cast wedge axle you grind the wedges off and grind them out to fit the slightly larger 3.125" tube and weld on, now you can buy them made to fit 60's tubes and what ever degree bushings you want.

Now that we are off on a tangent...
This guy knows what's up...but that's kindof not on topic

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR

Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #36
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
This guy knows what's up...but that's kindof not on topic
This isn't a wristed Ferd radius arm and flexed quite nicely. Wristed RA's make quick work of the bushing (which suck at controling axle wrap to begin with) as then the single bushing is what controls the axle wrap.

XJ.jpg

The nice thing about building your own linked suspension (to include RA) is you can adjust the caster to get rid of the deathwobble brought on by leveling kits or lift kits.

Closed Thread