Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Valair Clutch
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Valair1

Name: Valair1
Title: Valair Inc. Clutch
Member`s Gallery
Best U-joint?

I got to pull my tranny in the 06, so I figured I would go ahead and change the u-joints, so any opinions?

Valair Performance Series Clutches

Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Basic genuine Spicer.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
12vriviera

Name: 12vriviera
Title: That Guy with that car
Member`s Gallery
yup, spicer 1410's in my buick and i havent broke em yet! (solid, not greasable)
I am a pushover
https://www.facebook.com/#!/24VRIVIERA

Old 10-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
ChrisRyan

Name: ChrisRyan
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
1410 front driveline 1480 rear driveline Spicer non-greasable

Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
02SFguy

Name: 02SFguy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRyan View Post
1410 front driveline 1480 rear driveline Spicer non-greasable
i agree that's what i have and i pull mine almost every weekend during the season
TOW RIG- 2011 CCSB LTZ

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I don't pull or race....but tow heavy and genuine Spicer from Inland Truck in OKC for me.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Valair1

Member`s Gallery
that what i thought, thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Why in the hell would you want non-greasable? My rear OEM joints didn't last 25k, same with my dads chevy 1500, the front axle shaft joints barely made it 40k. Even the ones that looked good had no bearings left, were all dry and pulverized.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
OrangeNV

Name: OrangeNV
Title: BISH please
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Why in the hell would you want non-greasable? My rear OEM joints didn't last 25k, same with my dads chevy 1500, the front axle shaft joints barely made it 40k. Even the ones that looked good had no bearings left, were all dry and pulverized.
strength.....greasable means the middle is hollow
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Nothing is quite as exciting as bare-backing a ginger crack wh0re that is famous.
MUMAU
RAM BOYZ
KEYSTONE
MANNING

Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
12vriviera

Member`s Gallery
greasable doesn't have a long service life compared to their greasable counterparts.. But you can press a joint out and pack more grease into out if you want..
I am a pushover

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeNV View Post
strength.....greasable means the middle is hollow
....and you've seen how many joints break because they were greasable? I think this is more internet ballpark facts, especially for a street truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24vriviera View Post
greasable doesn't have a long service life compared to their greasable counterparts.. But you can press a joint out and pack more grease into out if you want..
Well since we've sold semi's with close to a million miles with all original joints I beg to differ on they're service life. Seriously? who the hell is going to press out a joint to add grease?

You can speculate on the life span and strength of greasable but I know for a fact non greasable is junk. The greasable ones I replaced the OEM ones with lasted 3 times longer. Here is one of those long life super strong non greasable joints. Joint was so unbelievably strong that the bearings disintegrated and killed the cap
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
BowtiedCTD

Name: BowtiedCTD
Title: CHIVE ON
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
....and you've seen how many joints break because they were greasable? I think this is more internet ballpark facts, especially for a street truck.

Well since we've sold semi's with close to a million miles with all original joints I beg to differ on they're service life. Seriously? who the hell is going to press out a joint to add grease?

You can speculate on the life span and strength of greasable but I know for a fact non greasable is junk. The greasable ones I replaced the OEM ones with lasted 3 times longer. Here is one of those long life super strong non greasable joints. Joint was so unbelievably strong that the bearings disintegrated and killed the cap
When a 250HP Cummins snaps ears off of greasable u-joints i would say there is a huge difference. And when Spicer themselves states that the greasable joint is weaker? Semi U-joints are a completely different beast, they are literally 5 times the size of what we run, are also bolted in or strapped in, not just clipped in.

Even Spicer recommends NON greasable in high HP applications as they will take the abuse longer and better than a hollow greasable. Only benefit a greasable gives is for those that get in water and mud alot to put fresh grease in.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
12vriviera

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Read my post again,
I said non greasable doesn't last as long as greasable,
I will still only use solid joints on the car, despite life span. 48 bucks every 3 years isn't as bad as twisting the back end of my trans off when a hollow one explodes under a boosted launch into lockup... And that's what the op is looking for, strongest, not a hole opinions on which one lasts longer logging street miles
I am a pushover

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtiedCTD View Post
When a 250HP Cummins snaps ears off of greasable u-joints i would say there is a huge difference. And when Spicer themselves states that the greasable joint is weaker? Semi U-joints are a completely different beast, they are literally 5 times the size of what we run, are also bolted in or strapped in, not just clipped in.

Even Spicer recommends NON greasable in high HP applications as they will take the abuse longer and better than a hollow greasable. Only benefit a greasable gives is for those that get in water and mud alot to put fresh grease in.
It's all proportional dude, they're way bigger but seeing way more torque.

Man, after reading this I'm going out today and switching everything to non-greasable. And for the 3 years I abused my '05 (twin turbo/twin CP3 around 600hp) with greasable joints I didn't know I was playing with fire. And to think I could have killed someone.
Funny how I didn't break one @ 600hp but a 250hp truck did......hmmm.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
JasonCzerak

Name: JasonCzerak
Member`s Gallery
not to mention the mess!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
chuggins10

Name: chuggins10
Member`s Gallery
Faulkner you sound like a douche... An you had twins an dual cp3's an you only made "around 600" ?? Just for that I think you lack intelligence.. An what will be stronger just from common sense a hollow piece of metal or a solid piece?? I'm going to like seeing your reply...

95' Dodge 2500. Has a nasty smokey tractor engine in it right now but a CR 6.7 is getting ready to find a new home.....

06' TBSS that the wife hot rods around in.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinnochokin View Post
Faulkner you sound like a douche... An you had twins an dual cp3's an you only made "around 600" ?? Just for that I think you lack intelligence.. An what will be stronger just from common sense a hollow piece of metal or a solid piece?? I'm going to like seeing your reply...
Your such a stupid phuckstick. So what part don't you believe, the fact I had the truck or the fact I didn't want a 1000hp street truck? What you should be questioning is the 250hp truck blowing u-joints in two. I've seen more trucks blow apart ring/pinions than joints. I don't know about you but I'd rather replace diff's than $10 u-joints.

If you like solid so much buy OX joints, sure they won't last a month with no lube but hey we can't have 250hp trucks shredding drivelines can we?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
Not really sure what the point of this thread is now....I always ran greasable joints in my cummins and I beat the Hell out of it doing 4x4 launches with around 500hp and never had any problems, your trading off service life for strength with the solid joint and some people just don't care, and that's fine, its not my truck

Last edited by Mr.T; 10-20-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
Valair1

Member`s Gallery
my truck has non greasable joints from the factory, and at 160K on the ticker,and just a few ponies over 600 hp, I havent had a problem, I thought I would replace them since I now have the tranny out.and looking for opinions. thanks to those that did just that. lol

Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valair1 View Post
my truck has non greasable joints from the factory, and at 160K on the ticker,and just a few ponies over 600 hp, I havent had a problem, I thought I would replace them since I now have the tranny out.and looking for opinions. thanks to those that did just that. lol
My non greasable joints have over 230k on them. But if driveshafts were in my hands it would get new one's also.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Closed Thread