Twin turbo rules for a future 50,000 race?

You're absolutely right.

But, I'm sure that Chevy II isn't on stock suspension, is it?

Last time I checked, a Lenco isn't an option behind any of the diesels, or that Chevy II, is it?

I'm betting the fuel tank isn't in the stock location either, along with several other other items?

All of those would have made that ineligible, nor is anything that would be on a diesel truck in the kind of class we're talking.

That's no different than the Chevelle. That's a street car in the ultimate sense of the word, but realistically it's a race car with street legal tires and plates. Take the ET Streets off of it and toss the slicks on and it's a high 8, low 9 second car. If ya don't know what you're looking for, you'd think low 11's, high 10's and you'd be losing cash fast.

I'm not talking about this being like NHRA Pro Stock where every single car has the same motor, same trans, same wheel base, etc....

What we're talking about here is a class that isn't putting rails against tubbed S-10' against Pro Street's against Street Trucks.

Hell, so don't get anyones panties in a wad, let's not call it "average", we can call it Modified Street for all I care.

Yea completely wrong, :hehe: your thinking way too closed minded. 14-15sec trucks? WTF did that come from. Im not talking about the smith truck, or caged fury. Im simply talking about a redneck bolting on a hoodstack, and now that makes it a pro street truck?:hehe: :hehe:

You must obviously not know too many country folk Rich, Im sure people would be happy to throw on a tailgate net and a bed stack to keep you happy. Wouldn't want a pro street truck sneaking in with a hoodstack, it's hard to point out a prostreet if they don't have that hoodstack.

There's two kind's of hoodstacks running around....

1 - 19 year old redneck that thinks it's uber cool
2 - sled puller or pro street truck that sees nothing but the track

Am I off base there?

14 - 15 second truck came from your billing of the average guy as having "exhaust, tuner and lift kit". I'm not a mind reader, but I've been married awhile and can see more than black and white.

You and I both know that's not the class of folks were talking about here.

I've given you what I think would produce a large field of trucks that have a semi-level playing field and room to work with and all you can nag about is hood stacks and tail gates.

Like I said, show me your version of a class that isn't either A - gay beyond belief, brakcet BS and B - trailer queen sponsor *****.

I've given ya my version of it and the reasoning behind it, whatcha got?

The programmer and exhaust and lift was to show that is a average truck, the word average needs to go away. We are not average, the members on this site are not average, stop putting us in that pool.

If you read back in the beginning before you ever posted in this thread you'll see what what kind of race we were talking about. Again if you'll read I agreed to some of the things you said, which is pretty much the same chit that's already been posted. Everyone is going to pick apart what you post. If it's going to be a true DD, then I agree hoodstacks are out, but you agreed with me on doing bed stacks cause your idea of everyone with a rear exit exhaust is a bad idea. It's pretty simple what kind of race people want to see, but these trucks need to be a actual DD and meet NHRA requirements.

The programmer and exhaust and lift was to show that is a average truck, the word average needs to go away. We are not average, the members on this site are not average, stop putting us in that pool.

Did we not turn this horse into glue already.

If you read back in the beginning before you ever posted in this thread you'll see what what kind of race we were talking about. Again if you'll read I agreed to some of the things you said, which is pretty much the same chit that's already been posted. Everyone is going to pick apart what you post. If it's going to be a true DD, then I agree hoodstacks are out, but you agreed with me on doing bed stacks cause your idea of everyone with a rear exit exhaust is a bad idea. It's pretty simple what kind of race people want to see, but these trucks need to be a actual DD and meet NHRA requirements.

Did YOU read the original post?

Been contemplating a little, What rules would make a twin class a little more friendly to the average joe?

Here is what I was thinking.

• 7200 minimum weight?
  • Not sure on turbo sizes??
  • No spray, no water, no extra cooling devices.
  • Same tire rule as swoles thread
Post up your ideas on the rules for a future twin class keeping it oriented towards the average joe. Many of you may have waaay better idea's than me for this class.

Have at it! :tree:

The man asked for ideas, I gave some ideas, gave a whole crap load of ideas. NONE of which ruled out ANY NHRA rules. I specifically said in #12: "NHRA Rules in effect for the speed you run. If you don't have the gear and you exceed the speed / time, you get one warning (during quals only, during elim's you're out). Do it again, you're in the stands."

Again, I've tossed the ideas out there, like it or not, don't really care. I'm done arguing about hood stacks, tail gates and average.

Let me know if someone actually decides to run with it, otherwise this is like arguing over who would win in a fight between Peter Pan and Tinker Bell.

I agree, so why do you get so upset when your ideas are challenged? We have all given ideas and looks like all you did was read then copy and paste the same stuff that has been mentioned in numerous threads. I said I liked your ideas, just not the part where you feel people need to go and purchase parts that they don't need to have. I feel if we continue with that idea, then we will single out trucks with too wide of a tire or a rollpan or trucks missing their trailer tow packages. We have to be open in some areas but serious and to the point in the areas that actualy matter. Seems like alot of people are trying to make these rules fit their trucks and forget about the older 1st generation hotrods that aren't gonna be pretty might be missing a few things and the fenders may be a bit rusty, but you'll have trucks that are show stopping beautiful on the other end. If we want a race that includes everyone, we need to think bigger cause average Joe isn't who we are anymore.. Jeff is on to something, something that might actually bring us to a new lvl of racing and we can get out of these small race organizations and into something that really pays and let's us have fun. That's all I've got to say...

We're both on the same sheet of music.

What no one wants to see though is a rolling junk yard going down the track.....or worse yet, crap falling off of it or oiling down the track with trans fluid and screwing everything up for an hour and half while it gets cleaned up.

And yes, I know country, hell I live in Alabama....there's crap that has no business on the road, let alone a track. There's a big difference between country, red neck and friggin hill jack.

No one wants to watch that. That bores the spectators and sponsors don't want to waste money on that.

That's why I jumped on the "redneck with hood stack" thing. Why? Because it's the same hack job there that will show in the rest of the truck.

You don't need a whole field full of show quality trucks, but you'll never attract sponsors or any kind of payouts with a bunch of trucks that look like they've been in a demolition derby.

And let's clarify what we're talking about with term "average".

When we're talking average, in this crowd, we're not talking about an exhaust, a tuner and a lift kit. We're talking some pretty impressive trucks. Hell, in this crowd, my truck is pretty average, but it's sure as hell not what would be considered average by a normal truck owner.

In any class of racing, there are rules, there's limits, there are specs set in place to keep it competitive and interesting to watch. Working within the "spirit and intent" of the rules is what needs to be understood.

If the rules are as vague as, must have a diesel engine and a single turbo, then you end up with a field that isn't competitive and isn't interesting to watch from a spectator stand point and doesn't keep folks around to visit the sponsor and vendor areas (which is where the money comes from and keeps those folks participating in events).

The folks in the stands want to see things that they can turn around and do to their trucks, or have done to it in most cases. Watching things like Caged Fury, or Schieds Rail, or Banks (nevermind), is cool and all, but it's out of the reach or even the realm of understanding of most folks.

The intent of those rules I put up doesn't force guys to buy a crap load of new parts. It also doesn't force a guy to have a $250K budget to put his truck on the track. What they do allow is plenty of modification to a truck that still does what a truck is suppossed to do....actually get used. It pulls the trailer, it's out in the woods duing hunting season, it hauls to 5th wheel on vacation.......and, if the owner so desires, can light the tires though all the gears or dust off a $70K 'vette on a Friday night.

That's the intent.

Last edited:
Hell, make it a $100 buy in.....I'll put a few trucks in at that price.

And forget the stupid azz, "gotta be a member of organization X" fees to run.

It's one thing if you're in it for the points, championships, etc., but most folks don't make multiple events all over the country to do that. Paying some organizations fees, plus track fees, plus bill bob's fees turns folks off from entering.

Some of the organizations need to understand that they exist to support the sport, not the other way around.

If I've already spent X thousands of dollars to field a truck, to put people in the stands, that supports the advertisers, etc., I sure as hell ain't padding pockets to put trucks on the track.

I've got no problem putting money out there that goes back to the guys that put their trucks on the line, but I sure as hell ain't putting money into pockets to risk my own junk.

Not when I can go down to a track on any given Friday night, pay my $15 and do the same thing.

If you spectate, you pay the fee. If you sell, you pay the fee. Set up a booth, pay the fee. Put your truck out there as part of the show, you pay the track fee, that's it.

I agree. I know a lot of people that drive their race vehicles to the gas station or to the store right down the road two or three times a year, just so they can call it a daily driver. My idea of daily driver is you can and do drive it everywhere and anywhere. If you cant drive it through Atlanta(or whatever your big city is) during rush hour traffic, its not a dialy driver. It is much, much, much easier to build a "race" vehicle than it is a big hp driver. But the fact is, both will be in Jeff's february race. Both will have to adapt to the rules.

X2!
my 11.1 sec truck ......(not detuned)pulling the race truck
IMG00098-20101010-1331.jpg

drive it every day

how about the Grass roots motor sports magize (i believe) contest they do--- for a certain amount the competitors can buy the winning cars- so say for $35K- 50k - any of the competitiors trucks can be purchased by the other comptitors....... making it so people dont put $100-250K into there truck....... just a thought

you can do ALOT WITHOUT SPNDING ALOT OF $$$$$

Last edited:
So I think the concensus is we need to stop calling it the average JOES race, the intended or "wanted" crowd is the DAILY DRIVER PERFORMANCE truck. the one that we have spent the money on to toy up and still go out in the morning climb in it and drive it to work. THE MAJORITY of what is on these forums. Not the redneck hack jobs and not the PURPOSE built trucks. The daily drivers that we have spent cash and taken pride in build the 700+ HP:rockwoot:

THE DAILY DRIVER PAYDAY RACE

Alright, Joes are getting thrown out the window, but that's alright! If someone wants to argue that they are truly an average joe, they are only arguing for their limitation. (quoted from somewhere)

Great discussion guys! Cummin-a-long has got some good things going.

Speaking as the Daily Driver kinda guy..

I do get to go to some races but not anywhere near all. I also do like seeing the "purpose built" performance vehicles because that's just an awesome display of engineering and technology but its also level of spending and time I can't hope to match.
I would really like to see the "Josh's", "David's" and "Walt's" that painstakingly built up their Daily Drivers over 2-3 years by scrimping,saving and scavenging that would also like to have "fun" at the track.
Not all of us can realistically muster up the fees and expenses that it would cost to attend every race and end up being the contingent of "cool" trucks that just sit in the parking lot that never really get to play.

This isnt a whine or rant but just my observation of previous races Ive attended.

After the same 9 guys are in the top 10 and the same guy win a couple of times, you'll have a hard time finding 100 people to pay 500 each.

Entry fees & ladder payouts won't be an issue for some folks - they're in it to win it and the money doesn't have to make sense or be practical.

Even for the inaugural Super Stock race, the $25K 1st place prize won via raw performance wouldn't cover the cost of building such a truck to the rules (not that $$$ will be the deciding factor in Bradenton, since attrition from the Pro tree & on-track carnage will definitely thin the herd)... so it's not like this event is going to make fiscal sense as far as hard cost are concerned.

I don't expect the winner to be the fastest truck there. $.02

I like the ideas for rules mentioned here. IMO, allow no tailgates and any type of exhaust you want to run ... EXCEPT a hood stack. Also, I wonder if it is possible to put a restriction for fuel ... i.e. single fuelers (but this would be difficult to tech the mechanical injecting trucks). 80 mm inducers max. I also like the idea of driving into the event with a minimum mileage (but more mileage added instead of 50 total miles ... should be more like 250 or so) and possibly a cruise night.

Something that might exclude big money trucks is the type of transmission used, suspension set up, etc.
E.G. trans must be OEM based with the obvious aftermarket performance parts included, but no Duraflites on a DMax and so forth (even though the Allison is a 9 sec trans now)
No coilovers on IFS. Absolutely no 4-Links. In other words, suspension must be stock appearing. Just my .02 worth.

Last edited:
Back