Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Who makes Cats monotherm pistons ? Just heard they have a habit of dropping cooling gallery covers which then scratches liners and does some other damage. Every 3 years or so, depend how much it is driven but this example under 100000 km/year.

Don't know who makes them but I've never heard of that problem and I know of a lot of acerts running around my area with over a million miles without being opened up.

Taller flat tops would have been my first pick. Although the price was right on these. I agree they are a tick to short.

Big fan of the flat tops myself. These are 8" Lincoln's that I got for cheap from a friend. He had them on a glider he built for a couple months and the guy that bought it was doing the car hauler thing so he didn't want them.

Attachments

• KIMG0067.jpg
    KIMG0067.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
Who makes Cats monotherm pistons ? Just heard they have a habit of dropping cooling gallery covers which then scratches liners and does some other damage. Every 3 years or so, depend how much it is driven but this example under 100000 km/year.

Early monotherms were all this way, mahle likely has the original design patent, the newer designs may be from another manufacturer that use the friction welded skirts.

Facebook find.
9e423ddf92dd968678f18b2c38f55ad2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Anyone have the specs for o-ringing a c15 cat head? Depth of cut, diameter of cut, width of cut. What are people using for the ring and what should the protrusion of the ring be? That kind of stuff. Local shop that does machine work on the big engines said they can do it for me if I have the specs.

Can any one verify the correct nozzles i need for a 3406b 4mg? From reading it seems to be or3421. Found another person saying or3423.

Also CAT reman nozzles or diesel controls? Thanks guys

I’m not sure. The only tag on the entire engine me or anyone else could find, we barely made out 4mg. Any way I can figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have the specs for o-ringing a c15 cat head? Depth of cut, diameter of cut, width of cut. What are people using for the ring and what should the protrusion of the ring be? That kind of stuff. Local shop that does machine work on the big engines said they can do it for me if I have the specs.

I don’t believe anyone that does this work is going to give the info out. Cost a pile of money to get the program correct to hit the center of the fire ring.

Had a head here that another shop had done and it was laughable. Wire had more waves that the ocean and head wasn’t flat. But the owner said it was cheap so it had that going for it.

They’re not cut by hand, the taper of the groove makes a big difference too.
ee434c1634bd990d2e3fb8cce61ef5f3.jpg

How many places have this capability? Local super truck tuuna says he gets heads that are ringed from a place in Michigan?

I’m not going to mention any names but a certain shop up north is selling them cheap and was asked if the heads are decked before they’re ringed and the answer he got was “I couldn’t sell them this cheap if I decked them first”. So i guess the heads being flat doesn’t matter. The local ones are all mapped on a coordinate measuring machine before they are worked on, decked if they’re off more than .003 end to end (new and used heads are both done) and Meta-Lax’d for stress relief. And each head is serial numbered.

The one the customer brought here was phuked. He was proud how cheap he bought it until it was measured in front of him. You definitely get what you pay for with machine work.

I don’t believe anyone that does this work is going to give the info out. Cost a pile of money to get the program correct to hit the center of the fire ring.

Had a head here that another shop had done and it was laughable. Wire had more waves that the ocean and head wasn’t flat. But the owner said it was cheap so it had that going for it.

They’re not cut by hand, the taper of the groove makes a big difference too.
ee434c1634bd990d2e3fb8cce61ef5f3.jpg

Didnt realize it was much more than just cutting a groove. I have a really good shop about 60 miles from me that I use. They're pretty well know in my area and do excellent work, had them surface my head a year ago when I did a head gasket they don't do anything half ass and it doesn't go out the door unless it's right. I called them up about doing this and they said no problem but being they haven't done one I would need to supply the specs.

But since I don't really want to guess could you hook me up with the info on the shop you know that does them? PM's fine if you don't want to list them out in the open. I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing this but if I can I will be.

I took a few weeks to cool off after my engine only went 12k on the last overhaul. Finally started tearing into it and looks like it was overfueling on a couple cylinders. Going to replace all 6 packs with the ipd one piece steel pistons and picking up a set of flowed injectors. And planning to get a new ecm.

Do any of you have experience with the arp head bolts for cats? Is it worth the extra money over the cat bolts? This will be the third time in the last year that I've had my head off and I'm getting a little sick of ordering head bolts Everytime.

Didnt realize it was much more than just cutting a groove. I have a really good shop about 60 miles from me that I use. They're pretty well know in my area and do excellent work, had them surface my head a year ago when I did a head gasket they don't do anything half ass and it doesn't go out the door unless it's right. I called them up about doing this and they said no problem but being they haven't done one I would need to supply the specs.

But since I don't really want to guess could you hook me up with the info on the shop you know that does them? PM's fine if you don't want to list them out in the open. I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing this but if I can I will be.

I took a few weeks to cool off after my engine only went 12k on the last overhaul. Finally started tearing into it and looks like it was overfueling on a couple cylinders. Going to replace all 6 packs with the ipd one piece steel pistons and picking up a set of flowed injectors. And planning to get a new ecm.

Do any of you have experience with the arp head bolts for cats? Is it worth the extra money over the cat bolts? This will be the third time in the last year that I've had my head off and I'm getting a little sick of ordering head bolts Everytime.

Head bolts are worth the money because they’re reusable. Been setting them to 400+ but the price isn’t much different from OEM.

Back