DIY Billet timing cover?

2141pete

Hell I dont know
I have been wanting to pick up a billet timing cover forever but I just can not swing the extra money. I have a buddy who is a wiz on a CNC and he has the mterial sitting around that he will just give me. I was wondering if ayone who has made their own could give me any pointers. I was wondering on plate thickness, reliefs on the back, making a removable piece for the front main seal, and some other things. I don't even have the measurements yet but I plan to just pick up a stock 12v tin cover to take him and see what we can come up with. I have never messed with a CNC or drawing up a program to make something like this so how hard is it t actually get it all perfect????

I've made mine out of 1/2" material, using a stock cover as a template, tracing it out and marking the holes. I've had to cut down, .125 around the damper, and for the fan pulley. You may need to cut the backside depending on which oil pump you have, and for the cam gear retainer if you have one. I usually countersink only the necessary holes, behind damper, fan pulley, and maybe some others (I've never done one for a Dodge application) use flat head socket head capscrews in them and put regular bolts in the other holes.

For the front seal, I make the retainer out of 1/2" material, drill and countersink 6 holes using 1/4-20 low head socket head capscrews and install the seal. Bolt the main cover on the engine, slide the seal and retainer on the crank, and transfer punch the holes. Drill and tap the cover and install the seal retainer after you have the cover bolted on the engine. You may want to drill the holes in the retainer a little oversize.

It's not a production way of doing it, but if you just need one or 2 every once in a while it works fine.

You may need to make a cap for your vacuum pump shaft to clear, I've never dealt with one, just air compressors.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks man! I showed the pictures to my buddy and he said it should be no problem to knock one out. He thinks we could make an adjustable pump gear pretty easy as well.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I am really just waiting to get him either a spare tin cover or the program for his CNC.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I am really just waiting to get him either a spare tin cover or the program for his CNC.
I got my cover from when I had a vp if you need it. I couldn't tell a difference in the 12v and 24v.

SAVE THE PROGRAM!!!! Once you have it, makin another one is as easy as throwing another piece of material on the table and hitting "GO". :D

Back