So this happend in less than 24hrs....

blackmega3500

Was searching local classifieds for something unique...

Found this rare bird and worked my sales magic and worked the deal to only $4560.

20190223-143129.jpg

20190223-143645.jpg

It's an 06 with only 115k on the clock. Everything is in great condition, except the carpet which I plan on redoing the entire interior anyways.

Im thinking its already tuned as it lays a pretty nice amount of black smoke from a dig, but the factory exhaust is still on.

Not really sure what I plan to do to it, but like the idea of using it as a sales car.

Have you ever worked on either of those engines? :poke:
Seriously tho, ID Parts seemed to have a decent selection of parts for them the few times I worked on one.

No, and I should've clarified my statement with the phrase "should". I've eye balled them for the past 8yrs, and have read alooooot on the lostjeeps forums so I understand what must be done for longevity snd such. Plus some really good youtube how to videos out there.

Hope those don’t have the wristpin issues I’ve run across in the 2.8 duramax version.

From reading this thread, I’m gathering that it’s a Diesel engine but it certainly doesn’t look like one. In other words, I wouldn’t buy one myself. Just my own, often outvoted opinion of course.

They're pretty easy to work on, and actually almost identical to the small Duramax..... considering they're sister motors.

vm-dura-comp.jpg

Yes, the 2.8L Duramax is a cousin of the Jeep CRD 2.8L from VM Motori Diesel News, Info and Guides

If you want a diesel, well you have a diesel. Brother in law had one, since it is a 2 year run, parts availabilty were issues(especially since it is older than 10 years old now). Then also it was a liberty, not one of Chryslers finer moments(lots of little issues) at least this was my experience.

If you want a diesel, well you have a diesel. Brother in law had one, since it is a 2 year run, parts availabilty were issues(especially since it is older than 10 years old now). Then also it was a liberty, not one of Chryslers finer moments(lots of little issues) at least this was my experience.

Agreed, the liberty is a straight POS!

Remember the intention was a sales vehicle. Don't feel like using my truck all the time anymore, especially when this thing gets double the MPG and I idle aa the freaking time. Which with larger injectors makes me worry about oil dilution and cylinder washing.

This thing will get leveled out, straight piped, and deleted with what turns is free available tuning call Yeti. Deletes the EGR, FCV, and couple other features without needing hard part swaps like the old s67 was.

Then most likely I'll put some logoing on it for marketing and sales purposes.

It really is a surprisingly fun car and puts the power where it needs to be in the curve off idle.

Had a company car for 4 years that was a fully wrapped HHR and man that thing had its moments of fun especially being front wheel drive with a CVT. They're total beaters, but great work vehicles.

At the end of the day, it was bought on a whim for 2-3k minimum for what it's worth so I have no complaints! Especially since my company is eating the cost of the vehicle the moment I put the logo on it, and i still get the tax deduction!

Last edited:
timing chain, supposed to be done at 100 k, I had one, first time the ptima battery drops out on ya, ditch it for a regular lead acid and don't look back. torque converter cant take too much over stock before it says uh uh, I had the green diesel engineering tune in mine and liked it, soon as lil fkr turbo lights it is game on. mine was an 06 also, plowed mud like tractor/

timing chain, supposed to be done at 100 k, I had one, first time the ptima battery drops out on ya, ditch it for a regular lead acid and don't look back. torque converter cant take too much over stock before it says uh uh, I had the green diesel engineering tune in mine and liked it, soon as lil fkr turbo lights it is game on. mine was an 06 also, plowed mud like tractor/

Do they black smoke on factory power?

This sucker gives a nice puff off idle, and the turbo lights really fast.

Also I've done quite a few 4x4 boosted launches and I'm trying to make it shudder.... but it's holding really strong.

I don't quite recal, sent the ecm out the week I bought it for the green diesel flash. never shuddered mine, as the tune didn't give that much hp, I stayed on the safe side of things. I do know someone with the European version of the converter, and remarked it was a bit much, as it was overly heavy and made the jeep sluggish. I know mine like a nice free flowing air filter and some modding to the air box for more air flow. I never did get a chance to straight pipe it, but wanted to do that next.

Green Diesel Engineering

I don't quite recal, sent the ecm out the week I bought it for the green diesel flash. never shuddered mine, as the tune didn't give that much hp, I stayed on the safe side of things. I do know someone with the European version of the converter, and remarked it was a bit much, as it was overly heavy and made the jeep sluggish. I know mine like a nice free flowing air filter and some modding to the air box for more air flow. I never did get a chance to straight pipe it, but wanted to do that next.

Green Diesel Engineering

Funny you mentioned intake mods!

Less than 24hrs and it's got a custome CAI, and of course every diesel needs an exhaust tip!:hehe:

20190224-173146.jpg

Screenshot-20190224-182005-Gallery.jpg

20190224-173128.jpg

20190224-181345.jpg

20190224-181350.jpg

It's getting strait piped tomorrow, and tonight I picked up a nice set of used oem Jeep 70th anniversary chrome 7 spoke rims with like new bridgestones on them. Got all 5 for only $275 which will go along well with the used leveling/2" lift kit I got for $50 shipped to my door. Doing all this goes well with my goal of doing this car on the cheap.

00505_75Va5Dj919S_600x450.jpg

The 2" leveling kit will go well with these tires, especially since they are actually 2" taller (32", 255/70/18) compared to the crap thats on them now (30", 255/70/16). They'll have to be run with a lug pattern conversion adapter which will also give some nice offset.

Green Diesel Engineering

Funny you mentioned intake mods!

Less than 24hrs and it's got a custom CAI, and of course every diesel needs an exhaust tip!:hehe: Hacked off the hose inlet with sensor and relocated the sensor from the box to that section.

20190224-173146.jpg

Screenshot-20190224-182005-Gallery.jpg

20190224-173128.jpg

20190224-181345.jpg

20190224-181350.jpg

It's getting strait piped tomorrow, and tonight I picked up a nice set of used oem Jeep 70th anniversary chrome 7 spoke rims with like new bridgestones on them. Got all 5 for only $275 which will go along well with the used leveling/2" lift kit I got for $50 shipped to my door. Doing all this goes well with my goal of doing this car on the cheap.

00505_75Va5Dj919S_600x450.jpg

The 2" leveling kit will go well with these tires, especially since they are actually 2" taller (32", 255/70/18) compared to the crap thats on them now (30", 255/70/16). They'll have to be run with a lug pattern conversion adapter which will also give some nice offset.

Also routed the ccv to an open dump and not to the intake like the factory 6.7 has.

if you are digging in, might want to open up the intake manifold and see how choked out it is with recirculated gasses from exhaust, usually pretty ad afte over 100k miles. I see the interstate battery in there, screw optima. that monster chunk of plastic over the engine is held on by the oil cap, pops right off after that is removed. Careful on dipstick tube for trans, prone to rust/ rot. these jeeps are the best for cold weather, they have an active wywtem to heat up the engine on cold weather, gets you heat in the cab faster than any car I've ever been in ( no I never been in a Tesla ) thermostats prone to fail open, if engine isnt coming to full temp, there is a kit to add a second thermostat in line in one of the radiator tubes that will help with efficincy, the engines run best at temp, not below.

Last edited:
Back