Rocker Arm Debacle!

Cbush314

I pulled the head on my truck the other night and I carefully laid out all the valve train parts out on a table in the order that that came out of the truck.

Next thing I know the table collapsed and all my parts are on the ground and I no longer have the slightest clue as to what went where.

My question is, can I reassemble the rocker arms in random order now or will I have issues?

Also, as I removed some of the rocker arms from the head, the “cups” on the tip of the rocker arm that go on top of the valve bridge, fell off the tip of the rocker arm.

Should these be rocker arms be replaced?

I am going to install new pushrods and valve springs (103lbs) and then adjust the valves.

Any insight here would be much appreciated!

It's fine to have them installed in random order. With the valve lash adjustment you'll love good. I don't see how they could get damaged unless something heavy falls on them but just rotate the arms to make sure they move freely.

I would get an updated set of rocker arms. You can reuse the valve bridges and trunions of there isn’t excessive wear.

If your not gonna buy anything new, I have indeed reassembled rocker arms, valve bridges etc together after being clumsily disassembled without ill effect. These engines don’t turn fast enough to hurt themselves with valve train wear (in general).

If the cup is missing on some of them it is only a matter of time before they go missing on all of them. Give Jeff a call at Mumau Diesel 1-724-354-3136 and he will hook you up if he can get parts with all the supply chain shortages. When I put the 6.7 in my 06 I had one bad rocker and Jeff was able to get me a set (single intake and exhaust) cheaper than an individual, but that was 6 years ago. If Jeff isn't an option then Mark is the guy for used parts 1-402-780-5127. You definitely want one with the metal cup, not the plastic cup.

Back