?diesel engine masters?

Fahlin Racing

For any of you who follow Engine Master's, I havent bought one of their issues for quite a while, thinking about a thread I am currently involved in gave me an idea.

For all you big shops as well as you little guys, all makes, I post this idea for the diesel community not just to see who has the best ideas in engine building to put power the the flywheel or torque converter, but to show what can be done big diesel, small diesel power.

This idea won't just be a fun thing for the builders but it may be an achievement for some who just would like to enter and see what they can do, it just may explode the diesel engine aftermarket parts world and bring prices down on parts let alone further push performance innovation for both stock and race or pull specific engines. So if you like the idea I suggest pass it on!!!:rockwoot:

If you can't shake hands with an opponent, male or female, and tell them good job you obviously CAN'T handle motorsports competition (thats just me). I hope this idea takes shape.

Anyone who may enter and build, and succeed no matter the placement you never know who will contact you for a job offer......

I should mention, whomever, if this were to happen will have the rulebook written by neutral position personel.

No bias period.
No BS.
V8 class
I-4 class
I-6 class
For the guys and gals who want to beat other configurations, have a mixed class!

I'd be game, but there needs to be rules that allow anyone to compete. Like stock heads and spec size turbo. along those lines.

that way your not catering to all the Big shops. and the dyno hook up should be identicle to save time, and power production wont be so high that relibility causes time delays and saftey issue's

The real deal engine masters has a displacement limit, that's about it . Spec turbo for each displacement class. Number 2 only, no spray or water.
Ought to be entertaining.

I used to follow it like a religion. But life got in the way and I lost track. This idea has been tossed around here before.

For any of you who follow Engine Master's, I havent bought one of their issues for quite a while, thinking about a thread I am currently involved in gave me an idea.

For all you big shops as well as you little guys, all makes, I post this idea for the diesel community not just to see who has the best ideas in engine building to put power the the flywheel or torque converter, but to show what can be done big diesel, small diesel power.

This idea won't just be a fun thing for the builders but it may be an achievement for some who just would like to enter and see what they can do, it just may explode the diesel engine aftermarket parts world and bring prices down on parts let alone further push performance innovation for :eek:)both stock and race or pull specific engines. So if you like the idea I suggest pass it on!!!:rockwoot:

If you can't shake hands with an opponent, male or female, and tell them good job you obviously CAN'T handle motorsports competition (thats just me). I hope this idea takes shape.

Anyone who may enter and build, and succeed no matter the placement you never know who will contact you for a job offer......

Super cool idea. Subscribed!!!!!:pop:

The real deal engine masters has a displacement limit, that's about it . Spec turbo for each displacement class. Number 2 only, no spray or water.

The real deal engine master is not ci limited per say, this year is anything over 400ci. We happened to just make 4 pulls on own engine masters motor today. Looking decent so far with 2 more cams, 3 intakes, and a few more parts to swap out and test.

Engine masters is all HP per CI. Each year they pick a different rpm range, this year being 3k to 7k. They switch up the rules every year. This year they have no extreme class which we normally compete in (dry sumps and more unlimited parts/styles) Can run EFI or carb, being limited on throttle body or throttle bore. They limit oil pans, lifters, rockers, heads you name it. This year is more towards production style and commercially available. As a constant they always supply oil and fuel. You get 27min to make all the pulls and changes you want, only top 3 pulls count. Top 6 winners are tore down for legal confirmation. Any contestant can protest another competitor for a small fee. And a great payout with contingency for winners.

To do it for diesels I would say a big CI and small CI class and/or break up by turbo inducer size. Limit type of rocker, lifter, head, oil pan, oiling system, intercooled/ non intercooled..... on and on.

I think it would be awesome to get set up and be a part of. It would definitely take some planning and probably a year or two to get everyone involved.

Last edited:
We thought about it for Diesel Power mag a while back...we even made logos for it. Idea kind of fizzled out as a lot of big shops didn't want to go head to head, but I still think it's a good idea.

I think they would join.......

We thought about it for Diesel Power mag a while back...we even made logos for it. Idea kind of fizzled out as a lot of big shops didn't want to go head to head, but I still think it's a good idea.

I think that the big shops would get on board if they see this happen and suddenly the small shops who took the risk to get exposure were suddenly taking work from the big shops. They(the big shops) would almost have to to save face, I would think.

I think its a cool idea, NOT that what I think means much.................

Last edited:
Anything, of course the overall view of the torque curve, BSFC, VE etc etc. Not just the big boys but like I said the little guys as well as the weekend hobby builder for their self or if they help friends.

If I had the funds, I would give it a shot.

Anything, of course the overall view of the torque curve, BSFC, VE etc etc. Not just the big boys but like I said the little guys as well as the weekend hobby builder for their self or if they help friends.

If I had the funds, I would give it a shot.

Screw BSFC and VE I'd do it just like engine masters, HP and TQ per CI per 100rpm through the rpm range set by the event

Take water out and it would be a guarantee that no big engines show up.

JQ mentioned they tried it, I wonder how they set the classes up or however it was portioned. Mechanical or common. I would beleve both should be included but maybe offered in seperate as well as the mixed classes so guys can go head to head against other configurations.

So if someone were to build an engine that needed water, if they wanted to compete against other guys I think they would adapt to the regs. If were to, I wouldn't build anything hot enough to use a water injection system. Its not a factor of huge power, its a matter of consistant growing over the entire engine rpm range.

Perhaps classify engines in the same class manner but have a seperate side of points for water injected for those who are running them? Still a good idea in thought was run what ya brung that Seeker thought of?

I hear ya but if you want the big boys to come play, you're talking pullers mostly, and all those engines are set up for water....so you take it away and all those guys will be like "meh, why bother."

I would think that if there was a competition engine class (where the top shops would shine) and a street engine class, they would still put something together for each.

Competition Class- single turbo one year, multiple turbos the next. Unlimited RPM + water/methanol, maybe nitrous another year. Filled/billet blocks, aftermarket heads...anything goes.

Street Class- single turbo one year, multiple turbos the next. 4k RPM limit, no water, no nitrous (no injectables). Must use production castings...keep it sensible.

Just like Engine Masters, change it up every year...outlined above could be at least four years of challenges.

What about limiting the fuel?

class 1: is xx gallons per hour
class 2: is xxx gallons per hour
class 3: is unlimited

Then whoever makes the most average torque or power in a certain rpm range. That way the more efficient engines would be on top.

Just a thought

Back