injection trade

Fletcher

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Has anyone changed injectors yet ?????? I tried to unscrew mine w/ visegrips and they won’t turn. So, I tapped them w/ a hammer and couldn’t break them loose. I gave up and hit them w/ about 15 mins of my acetylene torch and all I got was a burnt rubber smoke coming from my head...
Anyways, I’m looking at trading them up for some 370’s if anyone has some laying around .

I got a set of cores if you need them, I used KY jelly to remove them and they came right out.... LOL

Injectors???:doh: I thought these things came with carburetors:wrong: I was gonna trade you this 2 bbl. I found in the back lot, while digging a hole to help spread some natural fertilizer for the foilage:poke: :woohoo: LOL

I can't decide if I'm about to step in a pile here or what! :doh: Anyway, here goes.

Once you remove the fuel line from the top of the injector, there is a retaining collar that you can get loose with a deep socket. After the retainers are removed, the injectors slide straight up out of the hole. Notice there is a small "ball" on one side. These are the index balls and the injectors go back the same way they come out. (note - these balls also keep the injectors from turning!)

The #5 an #6 injectors are the hardest to get out and you can make a simple slide puller to pop them loose by getting a metric nut that fits the threads on the injectors and then a 6" long bolt with the same threads. Run the nut on about halfway and then put the bolt in the other half of the threads on the nut. Use a large 1/2" drive socket as a slide weight, install this before screwing the bolt into the nut. I made one but can't remember the nut size. Seems like 15 mm fine threads was the size but you need to check it.

Clean the bores, make sure all the sealing washers are out of the holes. New injectors will have 2 different thickness sealing washers, use the thin ones. Install a little oil or vasiline to hold the washers in place when installing.

Hope this helps.

paccool said:
I can't decide if I'm about to step in a pile here or what! :doh: Anyway, here goes.

Once you remove the fuel line from the top of the injector, there is a retaining collar that you can get loose with a deep socket. After the retainers are removed, the injectors slide straight up out of the hole. Notice there is a small "ball" on one side. These are the index balls and the injectors go back the same way they come out. (note - these balls also keep the injectors from turning!)

The #5 an #6 injectors are the hardest to get out and you can make a simple slide puller to pop them loose by getting a metric nut that fits the threads on the injectors and then a 6" long bolt with the same threads. Run the nut on about halfway and then put the bolt in the other half of the threads on the nut. Use a large 1/2" drive socket as a slide weight, install this before screwing the bolt into the nut. I made one but can't remember the nut size. Seems like 15 mm fine threads was the size but you need to check it.

Clean the bores, make sure all the sealing washers are out of the holes. New injectors will have 2 different thickness sealing washers, use the thin ones. Install a little oil or vasiline to hold the washers in place when installing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed instructions… However, being engulfed
with frustration festered by this arduous process, I decided to utilize a practice the Amazon spider monkeys performs prior to crossing the crocodile infested rivers (I saw this on the Discovery network) So, I started w/ the petroleum products first, then worked my way up the list.....

Fletcher said:
So, I started w/ the petroleum products first, then worked my way up the list.....

:bs: you started with the petroleum products first, and that's as far as you got.LOL LOL :kick:

Well he must be using petroleum jelly. I guess thats ok, but I'm so close to KY that I think its better to use the locally made lube.

Back