Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Allis Chalmers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Allis Chalmers Big Orange

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
cheepone2

Name: cheepone2
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery

Has about 4000 hrs. Had injecter pump rebuilt a while back. Now, no power, very hard starter when cold with clouds of black smoke. Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
ACpwr97

Name: ACpwr97
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Where'd you have the injection pump rebuilt? have you checked for any air restrictions? does the pump rattle a lot more than it used to? We had the injection pump done on our 8070 and it ended up doin a lot like what you're explaining and the pump wasn't done correctly

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
cheepone2

Member`s Gallery
Well the pump rebuild is a long story.... The original had all kinds of power, but it died at about 3500 hrs. Major rattling. Completely pooched. Not even rebuildable. So the repair place ordered us a rebuild out of the U.S.(I'm in Canada) It lasted about 200 hrs. When it was tore down the tech found pieces of the lead seal inside the pump. Whoever rebuilt it really did a lousy job. So the third time we had the shop rebuild the pump. But it hasn't worked properly since we took the original pump off. The pump is an American Bosch if that makes any difference.......

Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
ACpwr97

Name: ACpwr97
Member`s Gallery
Well our pump rattled a lot before we had it rechecked, after runnin it like this for 5 years, and if I'm not mistaken I believe they said the governor ring was spinning which caused the rattle and made it smoke like a freight train and start pretty hard. We dyno'd it at 148 hp and made the decision to have it looked at, it's also an Ambac pump with international harvester on the cover for what that's worth. From what you've explained I would say if there's no obvious air restrictions it's almost gotta be in the pump but I'd be curious to hear Signature600's opinion if you can get his attention on here.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Ambac's suck to get right in our opinion...takes a shop familiar with them to make sure they run right.

If it black smokes during cranking, I'd say you have a pump issue still...AC's should white smoke on startup until they warm up with the timing they run.

I'm not the pump expert, but I do know we have the most problems with the Ambac's....not that it's a lot of problems, but for the number of tractors that used them, we have more problems than the old Roosa's
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
6gears

Name: 6gears
Member`s Gallery
Might also pay to have the injectors checked and reset when you do a pump. Our 8050 started hard and missed/smoked until it warmed up and ended have a couple of screwy injectors. We are in the same boat as you now, had the pump redone only to leak out of the distributor housing on top. This new pump does not leak, but deffinately does not have the power it had before.......

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
cheepone2

Member`s Gallery
Well, I think I have discovered most (if not all)of the problem. We pulled it out of the shed this spring and it died. Acted like it was out of fuel but the gauge was showing that there was fuel in it. So i started tracing the fuel lines back to the tank. Could see not visible issues. I tried pumping the hand pump to see if I could pull some fuel up to the injector pump with no success. Took a air line and pressurized the tank a bit and forced some fuel through the lines thinking that perhaps the lift pump was not functioning. As soon as I put pressure in the tank, fuel started leaking from the main 5/8 inch line that comes off the tank to the filter on the left side. It didn't look too bad but apparently 25 years had taken their toll. We replaced the line and it started right up. It starts much better now. Is it possible that this very small pinhole could have been the root cause of the first pump breaking down?

Closed Thread