Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Alternative Fuels
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alternative Fuels Fuel Talk!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Penni

Name: Penni
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Diesel / CNG discuss

I recently scrolled across a diesel/CNG conversion kit, or rather a dual fuel kit, i was curious if anybody here was running something similar? And if so how you like it?

It was advertised for $2200 and then saying 30-50 mpg depending on which style diesel motor, ford/chevy/dodge etc...

I know with the cng it would burn hotter, making egts an issue? I would think? Do maybe a twin set up with cng? Egts down and 35mpg? Lol

Thoughts/discuss...

98 - 12v, under construction now, eventually a dedicated 2.5 puller

06 - QCSB - G56, 3250 SB DD, Fass 150, Arson III, 90hp DDP, EFI Live by Done Right Diesel Performance, CTS Insight, S&B CAI, Full Audio System

1972 - Chevy C-10 longbed, also rebuilding slowly

Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
newsmoke

Name: newsmoke
Member`s Gallery
I've given thought to CNG also... now and then I come across a CNG 5.9 in a bus for cheap.

2014 F350 powerstroke
2014 Cruze diesel

Old 11-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
Guy I work with has an lbz with a kit from Marc Deluca. He nets over 50mpg hwy on diesel. Cng is running about $1.99 here, and he compresses it at his house for under $1.50.

Cng won't make it run hotter in itself, but the fact you're adding fuel, it will. We had to cut pulse out of the injectors to keep it from smoking under wot and lug points. His kit works by adding the CNG into the turbo inlet by a vaccum regulator.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
Penni

Name: Penni
Member`s Gallery
That's a cool idea, all the kits I've seen input the cng through the fuel system someway... but the turbo idea is interesting... I'm considering a cng system, although I don't really put a lot of miles on my truck? Maybe two tanks of fuel a month? So it may not be justifiable in my case, but I ran across it and thought it was a cool idea to talk about

98 - 12v, under construction now, eventually a dedicated 2.5 puller

06 - QCSB - G56, 3250 SB DD, Fass 150, Arson III, 90hp DDP, EFI Live by Done Right Diesel Performance, CTS Insight, S&B CAI, Full Audio System

1972 - Chevy C-10 longbed, also rebuilding slowly

Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
What the phuck? How is it possible to run CNG through the fuel system

Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
superpsd

Name: superpsd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Some kits have thier own injection system. Most starter kits just feed a regulated amount into the turbo. You can build your own kit and add your own options. Do not skimp however on the quality of parts as CNG is under 3600 psi of pressure. I have looked into running a system but as much as I don't drive it would take forever to make back what is spent on the kit. The other plus is they say your oil stays cleaner longer and by running CNG you are supporting American jobs.
51 Mack A51T

Old 11-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
Um ALL kits have to have their own injection system, can't run it into the diesel tank there skipper. CNG will keep oil cleaner, but like you said, takes tons of miles to recoup costs.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Longcummins

Name: Longcummins
Title: Green Ears & Red Neck
Member`s Gallery
I dont think it takes tons of miles to recover the cost, maybe if you are purchasing a complete system from someone. The saving add up quickly as the price of # 2 goes up. The elections are over and the price is steadily climbing around here. Here is alink with some more info on the subject http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/al...ng-diesel.html

Old 11-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
Most people on here are not going to be able to piece a kit together, so the cost is higher. And don't bother calling a certified shop and ask how to build a kit, its like calling a trans shop asking for free help on a rebuild.

Deluca has a module coming out that'll give the ability to run 90%+ CNG, then you can recoup costs in a couple years. But not everyone beats down the highway in a 1ton truck everyday.

And there is nothing wrong with running older style tanks, yes they are heavy, but so is the rest of your truck. And the comment on CF about running out dated tanks, as always this is ill advised but there haven't been any accidents

On a side note, they put in a new station in Mount Vernon. Hopefully its run better than Clayton runs REI

Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
superpsd

Name: superpsd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
It is I'll advised for a good reason likely. 3600 psi can be some deadly pressure. There was a CNG Honda that caught fire back some years ago and the tank blew out of the car and was propelled a quite a velocity. The firefighters we're on scene but luckily no one was hurt. The tank suffered from what they called a BLEVE which is a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. CNG accidents are rare compared to some third world countries were accidents happen frequently but they still do happen and before I would slap a CNG kit on my truck I would take some caution to understand the type of tank, the proper DOT approved tank straps, proper lines, good quality regulator... This was the Honda if was an arson fire. I read that Honda did a recall and made some changes after the incident.Click the image to open in full size.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 11-17-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Member`s Gallery
The biggest problem with CNG is that it is still in the infant stages, unless you live in a large metro area the infrastructure in order to run it isn't there. I looked into it this summer a little and the closest filling station is 160 miles round trip for me.

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 11-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Longcummins

Member`s Gallery
I have done lots of research on the tanks myself as well. I can promise you that my tanks are bolted down properly as well. I do run high pressure lines that are rated to 6K psig also. They will handle all 3600 easy. If you are up near mount Vernon I would be willing to make a trip up sometime it's not that far away from here and you could see in person what I have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
That's a nice offer, but I work with a guy that does CNG conversions. I just work up in Mount Vernon, live 45min south. And I agree that even though pressures are high, everything is rated 3 times higher than it needs to be, otherwise none of it would be DOT approved.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Longcummins

Member`s Gallery
Well just thought I would offer. I work for a company that delivers natural gas locally to the Columbus area.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #15
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
Yes, and thank you. What company?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Longcummins

Member`s Gallery
Columbia Gas

Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
No other changes how is hp/tq compared to diesel? I've never really looked into this.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
What do you mean? Added in, or 100% CNG? It has less btu's, but they rate it in GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent) to keep the mileage comparable. You'll lose about 10% HP with no other changes on a gas vehicle, but octane is well over 100 so there is room for improvement with timing adjustments.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
What do you mean? Added in, or 100% CNG? It has less btu's, but they rate it in GGE (gasoline gallon equivalent) to keep the mileage comparable. You'll lose about 10% HP with no other changes on a gas vehicle, but octane is well over 100 so there is room for improvement with timing adjustments.
Just all around. I know with diesel you supplement it like with propane.
I'm assuming with gas engines you could run something like an ethanol tune to make more power?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
From my personal experience, you can't run more timing on a diesel. But like you said, on a spark ignition engine, high compression and timing can be run. FWIW factory CNG Honda civics run almost 12:1cr, and Mitch from work runs 13:1 in his BBC k20 street truck and tows with it (dedicated cng)

I don't have any insight on E85 or related fuels but I assume its higher octane too

Closed Thread