Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

View Poll Results: FASS 220 burnt up, what should I replace it with?
PDD Predator Pump 8 24.24%
FASS 220 GPH 2 6.06%
FASS 240 GPH 4 12.12%
FASS 260 GPH 5 15.15%
AIRDOG II 4G 200 HP 13 39.39%
Other 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
dieselrattler

Name: dieselrattler
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Question P7100 Lift pumps PDD vs FASS 220-260 gph

My FASS HD 220 GPH pump burnt up and need to replace. The truck is not my daily driver but would like it to be reliable enough to take to places and not worry about. It was recommended to me to go with a PDD Predator lift pump but I am worried about being stranded somewhere to change out the pulley belt that drives that pump. On the other hand I was told the FASS replacement pumps draw a lot of electrical power and was told under heavy loads can drain my fuel pressure below a pound. Thoughts or input? My truck is a 1995 4wd 5.9 cummins. Running the R-850 twin turbos, injectors, a modified factory P7100 pump 700-800hp range with goals of 900-1000hp. My other concern with the predator pump is if 60psi will blow the seals out on the P7100. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
That psi will not hurt your p7100, other than that, I'm not much help

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
60psi to your ppump is fine but not necessary, 30-40 psi is more than enough. The important thing is to maintain that pressure when you are at WOT so you have plenty of overflow to keep the pump cool. The predator is a great choice, I run a similar procon pump on my 12v racetruck. In my experience the FASS and Airdog pumps are drastically over-rated, I had an airdog 220 that had 70-80psi at idle but would pull down to 4-6psi at WOT. You would never know it because it's hard to watch a gauge when you are going real fast and as soon as you lift it will pop right back up. I found out by datalogging fuel pressure that the rated pressure and flow of the electric pumps is not what it claims to be.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Is it the factory 160 pump? They seem to like higher pressure.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
That belt drive mechanical pump will be way more reliable.
I bet its an off the shelf hydraulic pump they adapt.

Carry a spare belt if your worried about it.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman View Post
Is it the factory 160 pump? They seem to like higher pressure.
The D cam in factory 160 pumps gives very little fill time, the higher fuel pressure helps fill the barrels faster at higher RPM. I had a factory 160 pump that actually lost power above 3000RPM when switched to 13mm p+b. Had to grind cam for more fill time, then it was a whole different story. The "predator" lift pump is a procon pump for pumping chemicals. It's not a hydraulic pump, max pressure is around 250psi. It is a rotary vane pump. Simple little thing, much more reliable than a 12 volt motor.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
dieselrattler

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
The D cam in factory 160 pumps gives very little fill time, the higher fuel pressure helps fill the barrels faster at higher RPM. I had a factory 160 pump that actually lost power above 3000RPM when switched to 13mm p+b. Had to grind cam for more fill time, then it was a whole different story. The "predator" lift pump is a procon pump for pumping chemicals. It's not a hydraulic pump, max pressure is around 250psi. It is a rotary vane pump. Simple little thing, much more reliable than a 12 volt motor.
Thanks for your reply. I eventually want to move up to a 13mm pump but will probably be a couple more years before I splurge and do that. With respect to the predator you don't think it is much to worry about the belt letting go at the most unopportunistic times or keeping the alignment of the pulleys? 6 months just seems so short.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrattler View Post
Thanks for your reply. I eventually want to move up to a 13mm pump but will probably be a couple more years before I splurge and do that. With respect to the predator you don't think it is much to worry about the belt letting go at the most unopportunistic times or keeping the alignment of the pulleys? 6 months just seems so short.
Considering its moving at half or less the rpm as the engine and the engine rpm is low in the first place I wouldn't worry about it. Like Jason said, if you're worried about it, carry an extra belt. The electric pumps are anything but reliable anyway...

Old 11-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
I’d be more worried about u joints and batteries stranding me than that pump belt. It includes a spare when you buy it I believe. I looked into these pumps and am still curious on performance from first hand user. I ended up using a modified factory lift pump.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
Turbonetics TQ

Name: Turbonetics TQ
Title: Turbonetics Turbochargers
Member`s Gallery
Is there no longer warranty on it? I have had my FASS 220 GPH burn up 2 times now and both times it was replaced under warranty. Originally purchased May of 2013.

80 VW Rabbit truck resto in process 1.6 TD

2013 Ram 3500 DRW copper.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
dieselrattler

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the feedback!

Closed Thread