How big of a tire size differential can you get away with on a LSD?

Begle1

I'm considering going to 305/70R16's on my rears (32.8" diameter) and putting 235/85R16's on my fronts (31.7" diameter). 2wd truck.

If I did so, I'd want to carry a 235/85R16 spare.

If I got a limited slip differential at some point in the next couple years, would the 1.1" diameter difference be too large to use as a spare on the rear end? Or should it be okay if I went slow? I'd never need to drive more than 100 miles at 55 mph, and probably closer to 20 miles at 40 mph.

Would there by any other potential problems I'm not thinking through?

Are you thinking the 305 because its taller, or wider? If you're not hauling/towing much, I'd think you could find a wider tire for the rear thats closer in height. Give it the race truck look of some fatties out back!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Are you thinking the 305 because its taller, or wider? If you're not hauling/towing much, I'd think you could find a wider tire for the rear thats closer in height. Give it the race truck look of some fatties out back!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just trying to go as wide as I can in the rear without getting into stupid expensive exotic territory. I don't really want to.go any taller.

Well if it's the same diameter what's your question?
Be fine.

Well it's a 31.7" tire versus a 32.8" tire. My question is, would that 1.1" difference cause damage?

I don't know my limited slips well enough, but I imagine some would be more sensitive than others?

If there was a standard-sized, wider tire the same diameter as a 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 then I'd run those. I would carry a 305/70R16 spare but I'm concerned about excessive rubbing up front, and I'd rather lug around a lighter spare all things considered.

I've ran a bald 265/70r17 as a spare with a 285/70r17 as the other tire. Factory LSD, didnt run into issues except my dumbass shifted into 4x4 on the road once and the transfer case was NOT very happy about it.

I feel weird about running the same size tire with steel & aluminum wheels. Rotational mass is something I’ve over analyzed, but is fun to read up on.

I'm considering going to 305/70R16's on my rears (32.8" diameter) and putting 235/85R16's on my fronts (31.7" diameter). 2wd truck.

If I did so, I'd want to carry a 235/85R16 spare.

If I got a limited slip differential at some point in the next couple years, would the 1.1" diameter difference be too large to use as a spare on the rear end? Or should it be okay if I went slow? I'd never need to drive more than 100 miles at 55 mph, and probably closer to 20 miles at 40 mph.

Would there by any other potential problems I'm not thinking through?

You know the blowout will happen that one time you went far from home and in the middle of nowhere(insert banjo music). I guess you have to ask yourself if having to crawl home for that many miles is something you would want to deal with.

You know the blowout will happen that one time you went far from home and in the middle of nowhere(insert banjo music). I guess you have to ask yourself if having to crawl home for that many miles is something you would want to deal with.

I live on an island, so when I say I won't need to go over 100 miles to get back home that's literal. I think the actual max distance I can drive from my home is 65 miles. And the road back is curvy but also slow.

We don't get banjo music out here, we get ukelele music.

Shipping is pretty affordable, there are a few companies that operate specialized car haulers. Only costs $1000-$2000 usually. I paid extra for them to ship it "non-operative" but the bastards drove it off under its own power anyways. They figured out how to shut it off eventually I guess.

I live on an island, so when I say I won't need to go over 100 miles to get back home that's literal. I think the actual max distance I can drive from my home is 65 miles. And the road back is curvy but also slow.

We don't get banjo music out here, we get ukelele music.

I have no idea how I forgot about your location.:doh: Still, you've got to have some weirdos to avoid like the rest of us; they're everywhere.

Back