Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Greasy Kid

Name: Greasy Kid
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Smile Hello everyone I'm new!

I'm hoping I can get some help from you diesel bros.! And maybe I can help someone along the way. I was a diesel mechanic for 10 yrs. I worked mainly on Cummins 350 and 400's. This was back in the 90s so it's been awhile. I'm getting ready to tear into a Kubota D-902-ESB Tier 4 it is in a 2007 RTV. It's a three cylinder diesel that has a dead cylinder. The front two fires but the back one is not. I thought it might be a bad injector so I swapped the one from the middle cylinder to the back but it still missed and the middle one fired on the injector from the back hole so I ruled out the injector. I had an old compression tester and couldn't get a good reading the old tester is one of those with the rubber boot on the bottom and you have to try and hold it tight in the hole by hand, not good but here is what it did tell me, I could hold the gauge on the back cylinder and get a good seal but couldn't hold it on the front or middle one, so I'm not sure what the front and middle hole is because of not being able to hold the gauge tight enough too get a good seal the reading I got on the front and middle was somewhere above 240. The back one was 75 so I'm thinking I'm going to have too go ahead and pull the head off of it and see why the compression is down on the back hole. Now am I going in the right direction or is there some thing else I might try before I tear the motor down? I would sure appreciate your help!

Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Welcome. Sounds like you're on track. A good scoop would be nice, but if that is not an option, you could add compressed air into each cylinder. No need to get fancy with it. Just use a rubber nozzle to spray air into the injector port. Make sure the valves are closed by loosening the rockers. The piston should bottom out when air is applied. Once the piston hits the bottom of the stroke you just listen for air. It'll escape past the piston or around a bad valve.
Sounds like you'll be pulling the head anyway, but at least you'll have a little more information going in.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Pretty sure I meant scope. Scoop makes me think of ice cream, I really like it, and it does fix problems. It won't fix diesels though.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Greasy Kid

Name: Greasy Kid
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
It would be great if I had access too a scope. I do have a scoop maybe I will have some ice cream. HaHa! I hadn't thought about the putting the air to the cylinder, I will do that, thanks a lot for the info. like you said that will give me some more info. You have a great day Snedge and thanks again!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Snedge

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Kid View Post
It would be great if I had access too a scope. I do have a scoop maybe I will have some ice cream. HaHa! I hadn't thought about the putting the air to the cylinder, I will do that, thanks a lot for the info. like you said that will give me some more info. You have a great day Snedge and thanks again!!!!!!!
Keep us updated.
Also check out the big rig threads on the forum. You may find it interesting, and possibly add to the discussion with that 855 experience.

Last edited by Snedge; 05-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread