Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #1361
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The Careful Walk
By Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Ephesians 5:1-17
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise. —Ephesians 5:15
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 17-18; John 13:1-20
One of my favorite places to visit in Jamaica is Ocho Rios, home of Dunn’s River Falls—a spectacle that never ceases to amaze. Water cascades down a long series of rocks as it makes its way to the Caribbean Sea. Adventurers can climb the falls, scrambling over rounded rocks on an invigorating trek to the top. The flowing water, the potentially slippery surface, and the steep angles make the going slow and a bit treacherous.

To make it safely to the top, climbers must watch every step. If a person is not careful, he or she could fall on the journey. The keys to a successful climb are concentration and caution.

I can’t think of a better picture of what Paul is saying in Ephesians 5:15 when he says, “walk circumspectly.” We should “be very careful . . . how [we] live” (niv). Clearly, with all of life’s possible dangers coming our way as we climb through life, it is vital that we take each step with Jesus wisely and cautiously. A fool, the passage says, lives carelessly; a wise person watches each step so he does not stumble or fall.

Our goal of being “imitators of God” (v.1) is met, Paul says, as we walk carefully in love (vv.2,15). Through the Holy Spirit’s guidance, we can walk in a way that honors God.

Consistency! How much we need
To walk a measured pace,
To live the life of which we speak,
Until we see Christ’s face. —Anon.
As we trust God to rule our hearts our feet can walk His way.

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #1362
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The View From The End
By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Deuteronomy 8:1-3, 11-16
All things work together for good to those who love God. —Romans 8:28
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 19-20; John 13:21-38
Over the course of one year, Richard LeMieux’s lucrative publishing business collapsed. Soon, his wealth disappeared, and he became depressed. Eventually, LeMieux began to abuse alcohol and his family deserted him. At the lowest point in his life, he was homeless, broken, and destitute. However, it was during this time that he turned to God. He later wrote a book about what he learned.

The Israelites learned some valuable spiritual lessons when God allowed them to endure homelessness, uncertainty, and danger. Their hardships humbled them (Deut. 8:1-18).

They learned that God would provide for their needs. When they were hungry, He gave them manna. When they were thirsty, He gave them water from a rock. God taught them that, despite difficult times, He could bless them (v.1). Finally, the Israelites learned that adversity is not a sign of abandonment. Moses reminded them that God had been leading throughout their 40 years in the wilderness (v.2).

When we encounter desperate times, we can look for the spiritual lessons embedded in our difficulties—lessons that can help us rely on the One who causes all things to work together for our good and for His glory (Rom. 8:28).

Dear God, please give me the faith
to believe that You can bring good out of
any situation. Help me to see what You
want to show me during adversity.
The clearest view of everything that happens comes from heaven.
Insight
Remembering the hunger Israel experienced during their 40 years in the wilderness, Moses told them it was “to do you good in the end” (Deut. 8:16). What good? To “make you know that . . . man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord” (v.3). Some lessons are best learned through trials and understood in perspective.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #1363
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Room And Board
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: John 14:1-11
I go to prepare a place for you. —John 14:2
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 21-22; John 14
On a recent trip to England, my wife and I visited Anne Hathaway’s Cottage in Stratford-upon-Avon. The house is more than 400 years old, and it was the childhood and family home of William Shakespeare’s wife.

The tour guide drew our attention to a table made with wide boards. One side was used for eating meals and the other for chopping food. In English life, different expressions grew from this usage as the word board became associated with food, housing, honesty, and authority. An inn would offer “room and board”—that is, sleeping and eating accommodations. In taverns where customers played cards, they were told to keep their hands “above board” to make sure they weren’t cheating. And in the home, the father was given a special chair at the head of the table where he was called “chairman of the board.”

As I reflected on this, I thought about how Jesus is our “room and board.” He is our source of spiritual nourishment (John 6:35,54); He empowers us to live a life of integrity (14:21); He is our loving Master (Phil. 2:11); and He is even now preparing our eternal home. He promised: “I go to prepare a place for you” (John 14:2; see also 14:1-4,23). His grace has provided our everlasting room and board.

Christ meets our needs now and for eternity.
Insight
John 13–17 records Jesus’ “farewell” speech, His last words to His disciples just hours before His crucifixion. Jesus spoke of humble and loving service (ch.13), of heaven (ch.14), of what it takes to be His disciple (ch.15), and of the Holy Spirit (chs.14,16). His speech culminated in a prayer for His disciples (ch.17).

Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #1364
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Reframing The Picture
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Deuteronomy 32:7-12
As an eagle stirs up its nest, . . . spreading out its wings, . . . so the Lord alone led [Jacob]. —Deuteronomy 32:11-12
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 23-24; John 15
For 3 months I had a ringside seat— or should I say a bird’s-eye view—of God’s amazing handiwork. Ninety feet above the floor of Norfolk Botanical Garden, workers installed a webcam focused on the nest of a family of bald eagles, and online viewers were allowed to watch.

When the eggs hatched, Mama and Papa Eagle were attentive to their offspring, taking turns hunting for food and guarding the nest. But one day when the eaglets still looked like fuzzballs with beaks, both parents disappeared. I worried that harm had come to them.

My concern was unfounded. The webcam operator enlarged the camera angle, and there was Mama Eagle perched on a nearby branch.

As I pondered this “reframed” picture, I thought of times when I have feared that God had abandoned me. The view in the forest heights of Virginia reminded me that my vision is limited. I see only a small part of the entire scene.

Moses used eagle imagery to describe God. As eagles carry their young, God carries His people (Deut. 32:11-12). Despite how it may seem, the Lord “is not far from each one of us” (Acts 17:27). This is true even when we feel abandoned.

Under His wings I am safely abiding;
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him—I know He will keep me;
He has redeemed me and I am His child. —Cushing
Because the Lord is watching over us, we don’t have to fear the dangers around us.
Insight
Today’s reading provides us with a wonderful template for instructing the next generation in the provision of God. The entire “Song of Moses” extends from Deuteronomy 31:30–32:43. In it we see praise given for the God of Israel in spite of the nation’s periodic lapse into disobedience. In His good providence, God created for Himself a chosen people whom He has both redeemed and preserves. This theme of divine love that will not let go is to be reiterated to each new generation so that God’s covenant people may continue in relationship with their Creator and Sustainer. We learn from the New Testament that through Christ’s atoning work on the cross, this covenant has been extended to all who believe (Rom. 5:6-11).

Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #1365
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
D-Day
By David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Joshua 24:2,13-18
Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . . But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. —Joshua 24:15
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 25-27; John 16
Recently I asked my older sister, Mary Ann, if she remembered when our family moved into the house where we lived for many years. She replied, “You were about 9 months old, and I remember that Mother and Daddy stayed up all night packing boxes and listening to the radio. It was June 6, 1944, and they were listening to live coverage of the Normandy Invasion.”

Today marks the 70th anniversary of what has become known as D-Day—a military term for the day on which a planned operation will begin. Over the years, D-Day has also come to mean a moment of decision or commitment in our personal lives.

At one point in ancient Israel, their leader Joshua, now an old man, challenged the people to another kind of D-Day. After years of struggle to possess their inheritance in the land God had promised them, Joshua urged them to faithfully serve the One who had been so faithful to them (Josh. 24). “Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve,” he said. “But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (v.15).

The day we decide to follow the Savior is the greatest turning point in our life. And each day after, we can joyfully renew our commitment to serve Him.

Lord, what a privilege it is to say “yes” to You each
day. Thank You for loving me and forgiving me.
Guide me in all my choices today and
help me to serve You faithfully.
Life’s biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.
Insight
Joshua 22–24 records Joshua’s speech to the Israelites as they begin to occupy the Promised Land. Reminding them that the land was God’s gift to them (24:13), Joshua urged the people not to worship their ancestral gods from Mesopotamia or the gods of the Egyptians and the Canaanites, but instead to fear and serve the Lord in sincerity and in truth (vv.14-15).

Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #1366
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Generous God
By Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Ephesians 3:14-21
[God] is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think. —Ephesians 3:20
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 32-33; John 18:19-40
When our family lived in Chicago several years ago, we enjoyed many benefits. Near the top of my list were the amazing restaurants that seemed to try to outdo each other, not only in great cuisine but also in portion sizes. At one Italian eatery, my wife and I would order a half portion of our favorite pasta dish and still have enough to bring home for dinner the next night! The generous portions made us feel like we were at Grandma’s house when she poured on the love through her cooking.

I also feel an outpouring of love when I read that my heavenly Father has lavished on us the riches of His grace (Eph. 1:7-8) and that He is able to do “exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think” (3:20). I’m so grateful that our God is not a stingy God who begrudgingly dishes out His blessings in small portions. Rather, He is the God who pours out forgiveness for the prodigal (Luke 15), and He daily crowns us “with lovingkindness and tender mercies” (Ps. 103:4).

At times we think God hasn’t provided for us as we would like. But if He never did anything more than forgive our sins and guarantee heaven for us, He has already been abundantly generous! So today, let’s rejoice in our generous God.

Lord, remind me often that You have been
exceedingly generous to me. Help me to extend that
generosity of spirit toward those around me, so that
they may know who You are and rejoice in You.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Insight
Today’s reading addresses the wellspring of spiritual power in the Christian life. Certainly, human willpower or adopting a positive mental attitude is not the source of this spiritual power. Instead, the apostle Paul points us to the reality of the indwelling Christ. But the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ alone does not change the believer’s life. Choosing to yield to the Spirit’s promptings and meditating on God’s Word give the believer power for living. An attitude of faith and expectation in prayer access vast resources available in God, “who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” (Eph. 3:20).

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #1367
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Crowns Of Honor
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: John 19:1-8
The soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head. —John 19:2
Bible in a Year:
2 Chronicles 34-36; John 19:1-22
The Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom are stored securely and protected within the Tower of London under 24-hour guard. Each year, millions visit the display area to “ooh and aah” over these ornate treasures. The Crown Jewels symbolize the power of the kingdom, as well as the prestige and position of those who use them.

Part of the Crown Jewels are the crowns themselves. There are three different types: the coronation crown, which is worn when an individual is crowned monarch; the state crown (or coronet), which is worn for various functions; and the consort crown worn by the wife of a reigning king. Different crowns serve different purposes.

The King of heaven, who was worthy of the greatest crown and the highest honor, wore a very different crown. In the hours of humiliation and suffering that Christ experienced before He was crucified, “the soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and they put on Him a purple robe” (John 19:2). That day, the crown, which is normally a symbol of royalty and honor, was turned into a tool of mockery and hate. Yet our Savior willingly wore that crown for us, bearing our sin and shame.

The One who deserved the best of all crowns took the worst for us.

Crown Him the Lord of life:
Who triumphed o’er the grave;
Who rose victorious in the strife
For those He came to save. —Bridges/Thring
Without the cross, there could be no crown.
Insight
No details are given about the scourging of Jesus (John 19:1). Nevertheless, it was a horrifying and significant event in the passion of Christ. Jewish law prohibited a prisoner from being struck more than 40 times (Deut. 25:3), so, to be safe, common Jewish practice was to give one fewer—39 blows. Roman law had no such limitations, allowing the scourging to continue as long as those inflicting it desired. Because of this, prisoners sometimes died under the lash before they could receive the remainder of their punishment. It is another reminder of the extent of Christ’s suffering on our behalf.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #1368
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
An Honest Heart
By David H. Roper

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 15
I know also, my God, that You test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. —1 Chronicles 29:17
Bible in a Year:
Ezra 1-2; John 19:23-42
I came across an epitaph on an old gravestone in a cemetery the other day. It read, “J. Holgate: An honest man.”

I know nothing of Holgate’s life, but because his marker is unusually ornate, he must have struck it rich. But whatever he accomplished in his lifetime, he’s remembered for just one thing: He was “an honest man.”

Diogenes, the Greek philosopher, spent a lifetime in search of honesty and finally concluded that an honest man could not be found. Honest people are hard to find in any age, but the trait is one that greatly matters. Honesty is not the best policy; it’s the only policy, and one of the marks of a man or woman who lives in God’s presence. David writes, “Lord, . . . who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly” (Ps. 15:1-2).

I ask myself: Am I trustworthy and honorable in all my affairs? Do my words ring true? Do I speak the truth in love or do I fudge and fade the facts now and then, or exaggerate for emphasis? If so, I may turn to God with complete confidence and ask for forgiveness and for a good and honest heart—to make truthfulness an integral part of my nature. The One who has begun a good work in me is faithful. He will do it.

Lord, help me to be honest
In all I do and say,
And grant me grace and power
To live for You each day. —Fitzhugh
Live in such a way that when people think of honesty and integrity, they will think of you.
Insight
David calls God’s people to live a life of integrity and purity (Ps. 15:2). He describes the upright as those who do what is right and who speak truthfully and honestly. Sincere, open, and transparent, they do not slander, discredit, or harm their friends (v.3). They honor those who fear God and keep their promises even when it is not advantageous to do so (v.4). They do not take advantage of others, but act justly and fairly (v.5).

Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #1369
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Keep Calm And Carry On

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Ezra 5:7-17
We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth. —Ezra 5:11
Bible in a Year:
Ezra 3-5; John 20
“Keep calm and call mom.” “Keep calm and eat bacon.” “Keep calm and put the kettle on.” These sayings originate from the phrase: “Keep Calm and Carry On.” This message first appeared in Great Britain as World War II began in 1939. British officials printed it on posters designed to offset panic and discouragement during the war.

Having returned to the land of Israel after a time of captivity, the Israelites had to overcome their own fear and enemy interference as they began to rebuild the temple (Ezra 3:3). Once they finished the foundation, their opponents “hired counselors against them to frustrate their purpose” (4:5). Israel’s enemies also wrote accusing letters to government officials and successfully delayed the project (vv.6,24). Despite this, King Darius eventually issued a decree that allowed them to complete the temple (6:12-14).

When we are engaged in God’s work and we encounter setbacks, we can calmly carry on because, like the Israelites, “We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth” (5:11). Obstacles and delays may discourage us, but we can rest in Jesus’ promise: “I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it” (Matt. 16:18 nlt). It is God’s power that enables His work, not our own.

Thou art our life, by which alone we live,
And all our substance and our strength receive.
Sustain us by Thy faith and by Thy power,
And give us strength in every trying hour. —Psalter
God’s Spirit gives the power to our witness.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #1370
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
We’re Safe
By Marvin Williams

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 1 Peter 1:3-5
[God] has begotten us . . . to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you. —1 Peter 1:3-4
Bible in a Year:
Ezra 6-8; John 21
The United States Bullion Depository in Fort Knox, Kentucky, is a fortified building that stores 5,000 tons of gold bullion and other precious items entrusted to the federal government. Fort Knox is protected by a 22-ton door and layers of physical security: alarms, video cameras, minefields, barbed razor wire, electric fences, armed guards, and unmarked Apache helicopters. Based on the level of security, Fort Knox is considered one of the safest places on earth.

As safe as Fort Knox is, there’s another place that’s safer, and it’s filled with something more precious than gold: Heaven holds our gift of eternal life. The apostle Peter encouraged believers in Christ to praise God because we have “a living hope”—a confident expectation that grows and gains strength the more we learn about Jesus (1 Peter 1:3). And our hope is based on the resurrected Christ. His gift of eternal life will never come to ruin as a result of hostile forces. It will never lose its glory or freshness, because God has been keeping and will continue to keep it safe in heaven. No matter what harm may come to us in our life on earth, God is guarding our souls. Our inheritance is safe.

Like a safe within a safe, our salvation is protected by God and we’re secure.

For Further Thought
What about your salvation brings you the
greatest joy? How does it make you feel knowing
that your salvation is kept safe with God?
An inheritance in heaven is the safest possible place.
Insight
Peter begins his first letter with a complex greeting. After addressing God’s “elect” who are strangers in the world and scattered throughout different areas (v.1), Peter uses the struggles of this life to highlight the glory and security of heaven. He speaks of the permanence of their home and inheritance in heaven—it is “kept” (v.5) and can never spoil or “fade” (v.4). Peter reminds them that they are shielded by God’s own power. He reiterates the confidence Jesus gave His followers in John 10:27-29: Those who belong to God, the elect, are held safe and secure in His hand.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #1371
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The World’s Children
By Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: James 1:22–2:1
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble. —James 1:27
Bible in a Year:
Nehemiah 4-6; Acts 2:22-47
After a group of high schoolers visited an orphanage during a ministry trip, one student was visibly upset. When asked why, he said it reminded him of his own situation 10 years earlier.

This young man had been living in an orphanage in another country. He said he recalled people coming to visit him and his friends—just as these students were doing—and then going away. Occasionally someone would come back and adopt a child. But each time he was left behind he would wonder, What’s wrong with me?

When the teenagers would visit an orphanage—and then leave—those old feelings came back to him. So the others in the group prayed for him—and thanked God that one day a woman (his new mother) showed up and chose him as her very own son. It was a celebration of an act of love that gave one boy hope.

Across the world are children who need to know of God’s love for them (Matt. 18:4-5; Mark 10:13-16; James 1:27). Clearly, we can’t all adopt or visit these children—and indeed we are not expected to. But we can all do something: Support. Encourage. Teach. Pray. When we love the world’s children, we honor our Father who adopted us into His family (Gal. 4:4-7).

Father, You made each child in Your
image. Help us to convey Your love
to them with our hands, our help,
and our hearts.
The more Christ’s love grows in us, the more His love flows from us.
Insight
James emphasizes not only learning the Word of God but putting it into action. The Word is like a mirror that shows us where we are making spiritual progress and where we need improvement: “But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does” (v.25). The Scriptures clearly give us set boundaries, but it is obedience that brings us a sense of liberty and blessing.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #1372
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Light Of The Lamb
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Revelation 21:14-27
The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. —Revelation 21:23
Bible in a Year:
Nehemiah 7-9; Acts 3
For countless generations people have looked to the sun and moon to light the day and the night. Whether illuminating our path or providing the life-giving radiance for fruitful crops and the nutrients our bodies need, the sun and moon are part of God’s marvelous provision of light. The book of Genesis tells us that God gave “the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night” (Gen. 1:16).

But someday God will provide a different kind of illumination. Of the eternal heavenly city, John writes: “The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light” (Rev. 21:23). Interestingly, the word translated “light” here is more accurately rendered lamp. Christ in His glorified state will be the spiritual lamp that lights up that joyous new world.

The Lord Jesus Christ is “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). He is also the source of spiritual illumination that makes those who follow Him “the light of the world” (Matt. 5:14). But in eternity He will be the Lamp that lights our way (Rev. 21:23). What a thrill it will be one day to live in the light of the Lamb!

No darkness have we who in Jesus abide—
The light of the world is Jesus;
We walk in the light when we follow our Guide—
The light of the world is Jesus. —Bliss
The Light of the world knows no power failure.
Insight
In the Old Testament, the tabernacle and the temple were emblematic of God’s presence among His people. In eternity, no such facility will be needed (Rev. 21:22) because the redeemed will live in the presence of God Himself.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #1373
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Smile!
By Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Numbers 6:22-27
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you. —Numbers 6:25
Bible in a Year:
Nehemiah 10-11; Acts 4:1-22
A recent study that I read concluded that smiling can be good for your health. Research shows that smiling slows down the heart and reduces stress.

But smiling isn’t just good for you; a genuine smile blesses those on the receiving end as well. Without saying a word, it can tell others that you like them and that you are pleased with them. A smile can hug someone with love without giving them even the slightest touch.

Life does not always give us a reason to smile. But when we see a heartfelt smile on a child’s face or through aged wrinkles, our hearts are encouraged.

Smiles are also a hint of the image of God in us. In the ancient blessing recorded in the book of Numbers we get an indication that God “smiles”: “The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace” (Num. 6:25-26). Those words are a Hebrew idiom for the favor of God on a person’s life, asking God to smile on His children.

So today, remember that you are loved by God, and that He is pleased to be gracious to you and to shine His face upon you.

Lord, may my life be so pleasing to You that You are
pleased to have Your face shine on me. And as You
graciously smile on my life, may I find someone
today with whom I can share Your love through a smile.
Your smile could be a message of cheer from God to a needy soul.
Insight
In showering the people with His favor, God instructed the high priest to bestow on the people the blessing found in Numbers 6:24-26. In the New Living Translation, “The Lord make His face shine upon you” (v.25) is rendered as “The Lord smile on you.” The Lord smiling and “lift[ing] up His countenance” (v.26) expresses that the people have God’s special attention and approval. This benediction, pronounced by many pastors at the end of church services today, affirms that God provides for and protects His people, assuring us of His presence, pardon, and peace. The Hebrew concept of peace (shalom) is all-embracing and includes the concepts of completeness, security, health, wealth, tranquility, contentment, friendship, and peace with God and man.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #1374
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Meet Shrek
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Ezekiel 34:11-16
I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. —Ezekiel 34:11
Bible in a Year:
Nehemiah 12-13; Acts 4:23-37
Shrek was a renegade sheep. He went missing from his flock and remained lost for 6 years. The person who found him living in a cave on a high and rugged place in New Zealand didn’t recognize him as a sheep. “He looked like some biblical creature,” he said. In a way, he was. Shrek was a picture of what happens to sheep who become separated from their shepherd.

Shrek had to be carried down the mountain because his fleece was so heavy (60 lbs or 27 kg) that he couldn’t walk down on his own. To relieve Shrek of the weight of his waywardness, he was turned upside down so that he would remain still and not be harmed when the shearer removed his heavy fleece.

Shrek’s story illustrates the metaphor Jesus used when He called Himself the Good Shepherd (John 10:11), and when God referred to His people as His flock (Ezek. 34:31). Like Shrek, we do not make good choices when we’re on our own, and we become weighed down with the consequences (Ezek. 33:10). To relieve us of the weight, we may have to be on our backs for a time. When we end up in this position, it is good to remain still and trust the Good Shepherd to do His work without hurting us.

The King of love my Shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am His,
And He is mine forever. —Baker
God’s training is designed to grow us in faith.
Insight
Today’s reading uses the metaphor of God as one who cares for His people as a shepherd cares for his sheep: “I will seek what was lost and bring back what was driven away, bind up the broken and strengthen what was sick” (v.16). When God became a man in the Person of Christ, similar language was used about Him: “But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd” (Matt. 9:36). As our Good Shepherd, Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me” (John 10:27).

Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #1375
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Forgotten Memories
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 103:1-8
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits. —Psalm 103:2
Bible in a Year:
Esther 1-2; Acts 5:1-21
Recently, a friend from my youth emailed me a picture of our junior high track team. The grainy black-and-white snapshot showed a vaguely familiar group of teens with our two coaches. I was instantly swept back in time to happy memories of running the mile and the half-mile in track meets. Yet even as I enjoyed remembering those days, I found myself thinking about how easily I had forgotten them and moved on to other things.

As we make our way on the journey of life, it is easy to forget places, people, and events that have been important to us along the way. Time passes, yesterday fades, and we become obsessed with the concerns of the moment. When this happens, we can also forget just how good God has been to us. Perhaps that is why David remembered as he wrote, “Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits” (Ps. 103:1-2).

Never is this remembrance more needed than when the heartaches of life crowd in on us. When we are feeling overwhelmed and forgotten, it’s important to recall all that He has done for us. In remembering, we find the encouragement to trust Him in the present and for the future.

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done. —Oatman
Remembering God’s faithfulness in the past strengthens us for the future.
Insight
Many of the psalms refer to the miraculous and wonderful deeds of God in Israel’s history (see Pss. 44, 78, 89, 90, 105). Today’s psalm asks the reader to remember not God’s deeds but God’s character and the gracious benefits He gives to His people. God’s benefits—forgiveness, healing, redemption, and crowning with lovingkindness and mercy—have always been available to God’s people and are still available today (Ps. 103:3-5). These benefits are rooted in God’s character, which the psalmist describes in verse 8. This verse reminds the reader of God’s own description of His character in the book of Exodus: “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth” (34:6).

Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #1376
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Restored By The Master
By David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Colossians 3:8-17
[You] have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him. —Colossians 3:10
Bible in a Year:
Esther 9-10; Acts 7:1-21
Over the centuries, many attempts have been made to restore damaged and time-worn masterpieces of art. While some of these efforts have skillfully preserved the original work of artists, others have actually damaged many works of genius, including ancient Greek statues and at least two paintings by da Vinci.

In Paul’s letter to the Christians at Colosse, he described a restoration process that is impossible in the world of art. It’s a restoration of God’s people. Paul wrote, “You have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him” (Col. 3:9-10). This is no attempt at renovating the work of a deceased artist. It is a spiritual renewal from the living God who created us and gave us new life in His Son, Jesus Christ. His forgiveness brightens the colors of our lives while His grace sharpens the lines of His purpose for us.

The canvas of our lives is in the skilled hands of our Lord who knows who and what He designed us to be. No matter how sin-damaged and dirty we may be, there is hope for renewal and restoration. The Master Artist is alive and at work within us.

Praise, my soul, the King of heaven,
To His feet thy tribute bring;
Ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven,
Evermore His praises sing. —Lyte
Jesus specializes in restoration.
Insight
Today’s reading reminds us of two influences in our lives (vv.9-10). One is “the old man,” that is, the person we were before trusting Christ. The other is “the new man” who is becoming more like Christ. We are to “put off” the behavior patterns of our old ways and “put on” the new character qualities of Christ.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #1377
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Veins Of Gold
By Julie Ackerman Link

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Romans 6:1-14
If we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection. —Romans 6:5
Bible in a Year:
Job 1-2; Acts 7:22-43
While visiting the charming Cotswold area of England, I purchased some bone china mugs as souvenirs. I used them carefully, but eventually one fell into the sink and shattered. I thought about that mug recently when I learned about the Japanese art of Kintsugi.

Usually when something breaks we are happy to repair it enough to make it functional again. But several hundred years ago, a Japanese artist decided he would make broken china beautiful. So he started using golden resin to hold the fragments together. Pieces repaired by using his method have intricate veins of gold.

Early in the human story, sin entered the world (Gen. 3). Theologians refer to the event as “the fall.” The inevitable result is brokenness. Life is painful because we keep getting hurt and hurting others with our sharp, jagged edges. But God doesn’t want us to stay broken, and His repair work turns our brokenness into beauty.

Like a Kintsugi artist, God repairs us. But He uses something more precious than gold—the blood of His Son. Instead of having veins of gold, we are united by the very veins of Christ. “We have been united together in the likeness of His death” (Rom. 6:5). Nothing is more beautiful than that.

He shed His blood, poured out His life;
He gave His all at Calvary;
Oh what can we give in return
For love so rich, so full, so free? —Anon.
The price of our freedom from sin was paid by Jesus’ blood.
Insight
In verse 1, the apostle Paul reminds us of the danger of presuming on the grace of God. It is possible that there were those in the church at Rome who were advocating an immoral lifestyle, believing that God overlooked such things because that is how grace operated. Such a view, however, fails to balance the grace of God with His holiness and can lead to lives that dishonor Him.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #1378
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Wisdom From Above

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 1 Samuel 24:1-10
The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable. —James 3:17
Bible in a Year:
Job 3-4; Acts 7:44-60
If Kiera Wilmot had performed her experiment during her high school science class, it might have earned her an A. But instead she was charged with causing an explosion. Although she had planned to have her teacher approve the experiment, her classmates persuaded her to perform it outside the classroom. When she mixed chemicals inside a plastic bottle, it exploded and she unintentionally unsettled some fellow students.

The Old Testament tells the story of another case of peer pressure. David and his men were hiding from Saul in a cave when Saul entered (1 Sam. 24). David’s companions suggested that God had delivered Saul to them, and they urged David to kill him (vv.4,10). If David killed Saul, they thought they could stop hiding and David could become king. But David refused to harm Saul because he was “the Lord’s anointed” (v.6).

People in our lives may sometimes suggest we do what seems most gratifying or practical in the moment. But there is a difference between worldly and spiritual wisdom (1 Cor. 2:6-7). Wisdom from above “is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy” (James 3:17). When others are urging us to take a certain course of action, we can invite God to influence our response.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me. —Pollard
One is truly wise who gains his wisdom from above.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #1379
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Roadside Assistance
By Joe Stowell

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. —Psalm 46:1
Bible in a Year:
Job 5-7; Acts 8:1-25
An acquaintance of mine was hunting with friends near Balmoral, the country estate of the queen of England. As they walked, he twisted his ankle so badly that he couldn’t go on, so he told his friends to continue and he would wait by the side of the road.

As he sat there, a car came down the road, slowed, and stopped. The woman driving rolled the window down and asked if he was okay. He explained and said he was waiting for his friends to return. She said, “Get in; I’ll take you back to where you are staying.” He limped to the car and opened the door only to realize that it was Queen Elizabeth!

As shocking as receiving help from the queen of England may be, we have an offer of help that is even more astounding. The Creator-God of the universe descends into our world, sees our trouble, and offers to marshal His resources to help us. As the psalmist confidently affirms, “God is . . . a very present help in trouble” (Ps. 46:1). Our Savior helps by giving us grace to endure, His Word to sustain us, friends to encourage and pray for us, and the confidence that He will ultimately work it all together for our spiritual good.

Next time you feel stranded along life’s road, look for your Helper.

Lord, I’m thankful that when I experience trouble
You are waiting and wanting to help. Teach
me to look to You and to rest in Your kind and
loving care until You deliver me safely home.
Rejoice! Your God is a helping King!
Insight
Psalm 46 celebrates God as the supreme defender of His people. This particular psalm inspired Martin Luther to write: “A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing; our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing. For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe; his craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate, on earth is not his equal.”

Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #1380
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Do No Harm
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Romans 13:8-10
Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. —Romans 13:10
Bible in a Year:
Job 8-10; Acts 8:26-40
Many consider the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates as the father of Western medicine. He understood the importance of following moral principles in the practice of medicine, and is credited with writing the Hippocratic Oath, which still serves as an ethical guide for today’s medical doctors. One key concept of the oath is “to do no harm.” It implies that a physician will do only what he thinks will benefit his patients.

The principle of doing no harm extends to our relationships with others in everyday life. In fact, benevolence is central to New Testament teaching about loving others. In reflecting on the law of God, Paul sees that love is the intent behind many biblical commands: “Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law” (Rom. 13:10).

Each day as we follow Jesus Christ our Savior, we are faced with choices that will affect the lives of others. When we choose a course of action, we should ask ourselves, “Does this reflect Christ’s concern for others, or am I only concerned for myself?” Such a sensitivity demonstrates the love of Christ that seeks to heal the broken and help those in need.

Lord, I admit that it is easy to be consumed with my
own wants and needs. Thank You that You showed
us how to be concerned for others too. Help me
to follow Your example in caring for others.
Caring for the burdens of others helps us to forget about our own.
Insight
Paul’s words in today’s passage remind us of Jesus’ words to the young teacher of the law who asked what he needed to do to inherit eternal life (Luke 10:25-29). Love for God and neighbor is the epitome, fulfillment, and intention of all the laws of the Old Testament. In Luke, Jesus went on to say who our neighbor is and what love for that person should look like (vv.30-37). Paul does a similar thing for the people at the church in Rome. After telling them to love their neighbor in chapter 13, he goes on to tell them in chapter 14 to consider the effect their actions will have on their neighbor. Love is to guide all our actions.

Closed Thread