Seen it done both ways, turn the rotors of leave them alone?

Just run them till they warp or go under min thickness. New pads wear it very quick.

At the end of my first set of rear pads i ground some accidental grooves in my rotor. New pads just buffed it out...265k on my third set of pads...OEM rotors.

Just run them till they warp or go under min thickness. New pads wear it very quick.

At the end of my first set of rear pads i ground some accidental grooves in my rotor. New pads just buffed it out...265k on my third set of pads...OEM rotors.

They weren't scored or warped so I ended up just leaving the rear rotors alone. Cleaned everything up nice and slapped the new pads on, working fine.

Do tell, sounds like you learned from experience. I was curious if turning could help a warped rotor.

many times a caliper piston has a rust spot on if from where water can settle on the bottom of the caliper bore, usually, when the rotor thickness stays relitivly the same, the rust spot never hits the seal in the bore, but when you turn the rotor, the rust spot may now be directly on the seal.

happens with lots of wheel cylinders as well, with drums that are cut.

but, like I said before, a warped rotor is a failure of the entire part, the rotor overheated and warped from stress, and turning it is only a bandaid.

Last edited:
Back