Pump Timing 180 out

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I was wondering if it was possible to get the Pump a 180 degrees out to the motor. It would make perfect sense with my truck right now. Shouldn't be to hard to fix either should it?? THe truck turns over fine, but wont start. The whole time it turns over white smoke kinda barely falls out the stack. I got fuel clear to the head and 30psi FP. Give it a shot of ether and it will take off but die once outof it. But it has fuel in the cylinders, cause it is raw fuel coming out the exhaust (grayish smoke).

What I think caused the problem:
I pulled the pump, thought I lock timed it but realized once off truck it wasn't. A buddy said it's ok grab the pump nut and a cresent wrench. Turn the pump shaft over till the timing tab is in the center of the hole and put the locking pin in. It wont hurt anything, I asked, he said no it will be fine. I set is all back up the exact way it was before I pulled it.

Thanks Matt

Very possible the pump is out 180. Not sure how you will turn it over with the nut if the gear is still on it though. Just tighten it to the gear, and bar the engine over to where you need the pump, pop the gear, and then set the engine to TDC. Make sure its compression stroke on #1, #6 valves should be on overlap.

If you have the timing pin in place then the pump won't be 180 out if the motor is on the correct top dead center.

The motor was set at the wrong TDC. lol I pulled the valve cover and rotated the engine over and watched the valves. I pinned the pump, popped the gear off, and spun the motor 360 deg. and tightened the nut. fired right up. I could kick myself in the azz for that.

I had the pump off the truck on a bench, thats how I was able to turn it with cresant wrench. lol

thanks for the help guys.

Back