Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
@ Joesixpack I don’t it cheating, it’s being clever about it. All I do is to find TDC and if the trigger ring or tone gear is outside the engine like the Cummins QSK or ISB I count the teeth to the missing tooth from the crank sensor.
On engines where we don’t have any reference on timing I take cylinder one and change injection timing until we get some music from the engine.

And then we have engines with no cam sensor like the new XPI Scania engines. For this I programmed some code so the ECU can detect acceleration real fast as the ECU inject in two stroke mode @ start-up when the engine fires up it goes into 4 stroke mode having the cam in sync.
Also note the left gauge in the screen, that’s the fuel pressure gauge and red needle is real pressure and the green one is target pressure. When you accelerate the engine the red needle jumps up before the green one. This is an example of predictive mapping and how it works.
Also deceleration it takes some time before the rail pressure comes down as these engines have no bleed valve on the commonrail so this is normal.
I no longer use a injector flow map as it was close to impossible to have one made for every engine en still get poor results from it so I made injector response map that’s looks up fuel pressure and RPM as well as injector time ideal and dead time and now I got something that’s working for a whole range of injectors and yes you still need a injector flow map if you want to know the offset to the original injector used so you could ad % more fuelflow.

@ Smoken Gun we did do a conversion of a V12 Detroit to commonrail. They now building a new engine as they had a coolant leak to 3 combustion chambers bending the crank and a conrod ending up in massive engine damage.
My experience is that’s it’s easier to get a commonrail running if you got the fuel pressure regulator set-up working for you. Engines with pump injectors are a lot harder to do as these injectors are really progressive on fuel flow so adding some fuel on idle make them jump up a lot in RPM as with a commonrail injector adding 50% more fuel on idle hardly makes a difference during an individual injector trim test.
Also on motorsport applications we change the injector control over RPM and engine load getting a load more fuel out of these injectors.

Click the image to open in full size.

As for the Iveco injectors. The Iveco engine is a licence build Cummins engine and same goes for Paccar and some other brands but as far as I know the power rating on them is about the same.???
Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #22
Bryce418

Name: Bryce418
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Damn that's a smooth sounding v92.
I have always loved the sound of those engines and commonrail makes it sound even better!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #23
AsTroSS

Name: AsTroSS
Title: problems start @80 psi
Member`s Gallery
Looks like this Detroit uses the same Bosch injectors as MTU 2000 series
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
@ AsTroSS Yep these are MTU 2000 series injectors, well what’s left of it as we change them to get the fuel flow we wanted. Want to try these on a pro stock engine one day, as we know they did there job well up to 5800 injections a minute.

Last weekend we took a Scania 164 cassis a part and cut the front parts off so we can use it as a test bed for the dyno and at the same time have an exact copy of the truckpuller cassis so we can build things like exhaust manifolds and other auxiliary parts on the testbed and test them and later on build them on the truck. The deadline was set original to end of this year to compete the new engine and testbed but if we continuo like this we can fire up the in the next two weeks and have the engine running on the dyno with the old turbo and intercooler set-up to generate data begin December I hope.
What comes next is a new turbo and maybe intercooler set-up or even 44% bigger injectors.

Yesterday we had a government inspection on development projects with subsidies and we passed with no problem. Subsidies where given on engine development for testing new materials and educating for people on the work floor.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
AsTroSS

Name: AsTroSS
Title: problems start @80 psi
Member`s Gallery
I do not knew what part number your injectrors are, but just for infromation the early units are total failure and now all our engines are upgraded to latest designe. Something internally will fail and rail will loose the pressure.....
Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
How is the standalone ECM coming along for the 3406E/C15 cat?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
How is the standalone ECM coming along for the 3406E/C15 cat?
Last week I did all the calibration on the sensors for CAT C15 ECU system and finished the installation documentation and the hardware is now on it’s way to the US for installation.

Yesterday they cranked the new engine for the first time on the starter motor. Some of our team members working overtime on this thing.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
A small preview on a project that I have been working on this week. It’s a Mercedes G class with a 3 liter commonrail OM316 engine.
We still need to fix some air leaks on the fuel system and program the ECU to control the automatic gearbox as well and than it will be ready for the dyno.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The new build engine has made it’s madden run. It took some effort to bleed the air out of the fuel system as we normally run a hi volume 12Bar or 174PSI fuel lift pump so I came to live more or less as a WO2 airplane engine.

I must say it was a real relief to see the engine running 2000Rpm with no problem as we had to do some unplanned modifications to get valve piston clearance as the camshaft was not made according to pacification so we now got more aggressive inlet valve lift on the engine.
For now it’s hard to say how the engine will run as there is still a load of air in the injectors that can only go out true the nozzle as these injectors have no fuel return or bleed valve.

Next step is getting the speed sensor in from BorgWarner and install this in the Holset HX60 to get data and map this out in the compressor flowmap so we know where we are and what we are going to need for turbochargers.
I want to start testing with the turbo set-up we used last year as this will be the fasted to fit to the test set-up and runs without any air/oil pluming problems.
Parallel to this we going to build the new exhaust manifolds with a compensation tube between the to manifolds and install a wastegate valve in the middle of the tube.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #30
therabbittree

Name: therabbittree
Member`s Gallery
Awesome Work!, Subscribed!

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...sion-redo.html
http://picasaweb.google.com/therabbittree/Excursion02#
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Small example of a DACH4PRO with a commonrail diesel configuration. This little multi functional display can be mounted to a motorsport steering wheel as well.

The configuration of these displays can be configured with software and with the correct interface it can read serial data or data from the canbus.

The LED on de left and right side of the display can be configured and independent of eats other as well from any thing from boost level to RPM shift light or gear indicator.
The display also hold a function of MIN/MAX so with one puss of a button you will know a lot of data you otherwise have to retrieve from a data log. Have FUN.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #32
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last week we start getting a lot of parts from the truck so we can build these on to the new engine and make it possible to run and collect all the data.

Martein made this test set-up by getting all the engine control parts located in different parts of the truck on a pole.
From bottom upwards are the power distribution and main relay and o2 sensors control. Above that is the 24V to 12V converter as most European trucks run a 24V system and the engine controller (the black box with the bleu plug) and o2 sensors run on 12V.
On top of the pole is an alloy plate with two lamps and an ignition key. One lamp is to indicate that the electric fuelpump is on and the other lamp is status indication for the remote system we installed to run the fuelpump. For safely we also made an option to stop the engine by the same remote so as long as you have the remote with you, you will be able to shut the whole system down in an emergency.

Demo movie of what truck pulling in Holland looks like.

Martien almost get the whole truck airborne on the end of this run.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #33
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday we had a bit more fun getting the engine up to max RPM te first time and pre commissioning the race UEU system. This thing sounds more like a V8 hotrod engine.

Scania V8 race engine pre commissioning race engine management system part 1. - YouTube

Scania V8 race engine pre commissioning race engine management system part 2. - YouTube
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #34
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
I dont know if there are some Jeep Wrangler 2.8 GRD fans over here? This is a Le Dakar Special Rally raid Jeep we done last year installing an aftermarket diesel ECU system.

This is what the car looked like before with almost 3 ton on weight so they has to drop some by replacing boddyparts like hood doors and rear panels

This is what the car looks like now. This Rally car is actually for rent for the next Le Dakar rally as this team rented a race truck for the Le Dakar.

We can also build some more of these body parts in case some people want them.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #35
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Small update. We have radio silence on this project but I think the pictures will explain some.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #36
Cummins2000

Name: Cummins2000
Member`s Gallery
^ Wow that's a u joint
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
We use those too over here.

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #38
chance cobb

Name: chance cobb
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4 View Post
We use those too over here.

looks like its on a fuild pump to me lol
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #39
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
Well ya, its much larger than anything in a highway truck. Doesn't mean you can't put it in a highway truck.

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #40
rebel127

Name: rebel127
Title: Detroit Fuel Squeezer
Member`s Gallery
Great read !!!!!!!!!!