Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Audio, Video, Lighting
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
6spdCR

Name: 6spdCR
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
2003 ram- Upgrage for factory Infinity system

Hey guys, looking to do something with my quad cabs' stereo. I dont know much about car audio, but I do appreciate quality and dont mind spending some money to get it right. I cant find a local guy that i trust. What Im looking for is quality sound at average listening volumes, not overly bass rich or high volume. I think the factory system actually sounds decent compared to other truck stereos of that time, but its got 230,000 miles of listening on it and it's tired. Years ago I stripped the interior and sprayed on 3 layers of sound deadener. I have dynamat extreme in the doors as well. What am I looking at to make a noticable difference over what I have now, and could someone reccomend components that they either have and like, or have heard and would use in their own vehicle. I would like to do this without adding a sub because I use the rear seat area for tools and supplys. I dont care about nav or CDs either. Thanks in advance, I know this is not a easy question to answer. Steve

Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
ofelas

Name: ofelas
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What sizes are your factory speakers and are they amped on each speaker ?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
He said infinity so I'm guessing amped speakers. The factory infinity systems are nice. If you want good sound your going to need an amp to power the speakers and unless you wanna replace the speakers with more that have Amps on them you'll need to install an amp. Which can be put under your seat. Go to a car audio store and get the size of speakers you'll need. They will know. Good brands will be alpine, Boston, jl, kicker, hertz. You'll want speakers that around the 75 ish watt rms. Will give you good sound. Make sure you get an amp to keep up. Rms is the wattage you wanna match. So say you drop 4 speakers in you'll need a 4 channel amp that's capable of 75 watts Rms per Channel.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
ofelas

Name: ofelas
Member`s Gallery
Even the non-amped Infinity speakers were a nice upgrade for my old 6x9s and 4x10s, I used minivan 6x9s and 6.5s along with an Infinity AM/FM/cassette/CD head unit.

I still prefer the old 12v clatter & snail whine though :-)

Last edited by ofelas; 04-09-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Closed Thread