Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
j.fondler

Name: j.fondler
Title: Slow Learner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD_PHIL View Post
Thanks. So I drove 2 hours to pick the engine up and the guy didn't want to pull it on the spot. Engine was as tight as any other Cummins I'd seen. Definitely had the 215 P pump in it. I told him I'd try to come get it today. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until next weekend since I've got to work. Thanks.Well my initial plan was to put a complete 2nd gen drive line in it. In the last 6 months I've realized a ECLB W250 isn't the most practical truck for me. I plan to just redo the engine and sell the truck. I already had it listed locally. I'm glad this happened to me. I would have felt like chit if this head lifted a few weeks after selling it. The machine shop told me 500 bucks to rebuild it. My concern is how much more it's going to cost to fix the other issues with the head. To much over 500 and I'm doing myself a dis-service since I can pick up a whole motor for 1000 to 2000 bucks. It's $55 for the to clean and inspect the head to see if it's salvageable. This head has been pulled a few times before I'm sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
sounds like you're wasting a lot of time/money/effort for a truck you're going to be selling.

get the head decked, drill and tap the stripped holes yourself, and reinstall with a fresh gasket. you might be into it $400 with gaskets. leave the rest of the engine alone and put it back together.
12 3500 - studZ, deleteZ, tuneZ

Old 07-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #22
WILD_PHIL

Name: WILD_PHIL
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I'm starting to agree J.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fondler View Post
sounds like you're wasting a lot of time/money/effort for a truck you're going to be selling.

get the head decked, drill and tap the stripped holes yourself, and reinstall with a fresh gasket. you might be into it $400 with gaskets. leave the rest of the engine alone and put it back together.

This!

I would be doing the same and all myself to save coin and move the truck. You're making a ton of work for yourself if you like doing so.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #24
WILD_PHIL

Name: WILD_PHIL
Member`s Gallery
Sent the head in to the machine shop. They called back and said the head had cracks in it. He said he could go further to find out how bad. I decided to just scrap that route and buy a new head. Found one on summit for $535 shipped. Went a head and ordered a complete factory seal kit. I'm going to buy new head bolts and exhaust manifold bolts as well. I'm wondering if I should replace the push rods also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Closed Thread