Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Alternative Fuels
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alternative Fuels Fuel Talk!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #21
dixon700

Name: dixon700
Title: cummins fanatic
Member`s Gallery
I've sworn by xdp's additive for awhile, but i don't think I'm going to continue to, due to the other day I had my fuel partially gel up... It was around 0* for a few days here in pa. The fuel was still sloshing in the tank, but I lost fuel psi. Put in some ps diesel 911 to save the day. Fuel psi came right back, so I think I may go back to ps. I'm highly irate about the xdp polar d gelling up at only around 0*.
04.5qcsb 3/4hd built 47reh kilduff isspro adii motorsportdiesel 100%over 10.6cp3&bypass CPP stainless diesel63 over s475 trac bars mishimoto Hamilton pusher arp smarty touch udc pro by gordon 4"-7"stacks 4.10's 6"lift 37"toyo mts eagle wheels dynatrac top gun customz

Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Improver Additive | XPD | Summer Blend | Winter Blend | DFI Accessories

Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Lucas also did worse in this guys testing too

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #24
Schrowang

Name: Schrowang
Title: Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
don't want to seem un cooth here schrowang but check the cetane of that product & let me know what you find :-). I will get you some free product to try next time we meet .
Ill hold you to that.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Howes consistently ranks bad in every test I've ever seen. I think thats why it was always 5 bucks for a jug in ND

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
I'm not a fan of adding more Cetaine, but I do have plenty of friends that tell me that Diesel Kleen is no joke! Most of them are Cummins owners. I have tried RevX, Liquid MPG, Lucas, and right now RBP. Diesel Kleen will be next.
Why are you not a fan of cetane? Cetane is efficiency which helps with power, fuel economy and less smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #27
John Robinson

Name: John Robinson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The diesel place study we are / were very aware of & without discrediting or getting into an unprofessional pissing match over it we respectfully beg to differ with the findings...Ps labs own several pieces of equipment that test lubricity & they have done their own in house study's . I don't blame them for declining to participate in a forum based " independent" study when they already know what's going on . IM not making any accusations on anyone's work but some of these " independent test" work on the verge of extortion & they have been down that road in the past with some of these study's....Sometimes the company paying the most money into the study wins.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
Howes consistently ranks bad in every test I've ever seen. I think thats why it was always 5 bucks for a jug in ND
Keep in mind folks.... cetane in a clear bottle is a no no , cetane will lose potency if exposed to sunlight , serious cetane products will have a fluorine lined bottle .

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #29
John Robinson

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon700 View Post
I've sworn by xdp's additive for awhile, but i don't think I'm going to continue to, due to the other day I had my fuel partially gel up... It was around 0* for a few days here in pa. The fuel was still sloshing in the tank, but I lost fuel psi. Put in some ps diesel 911 to save the day. Fuel psi came right back, so I think I may go back to ps. I'm highly irate about the xdp polar d gelling up at only around 0*.
good to hear...be sure & use the white power service for the anti gel seasons. the silver bottle has No antigel at all . the 911 isnt really meant to run all the time, it's solely to get you off the side of the road.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Rustin

Name: Rustin
Title: Let the Beatings Begin!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
Why are you not a fan of cetane? Cetane is efficiency which helps with power, fuel economy and less smoke.
I'm not a fan of "adding more Cetaine." If I am only upping the points by a small margin then thats fine. All we are doing is creating more heat. If my truck was a performance truck and ready to be tuned for more cetaine then that will be the direction. My truck is not a 1/4 mile track burner nor a competition tow. It is being built for fuel economy. and right now it sets at 24mpgs highway and 17mpgs city. Those numbers are helped with the use of either Prolong, Lucas and for some weird reason RBP. Xtremem and the others made the truck sound good but there was no help in fuel economy. Here is the link to my results on fully.com I'm getting better at documenting my work.

Straight diesel will not get the numbers for my truck.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm not a fan of "adding more Cetaine." If I am only upping the points by a small margin then thats fine. All we are doing is creating more heat. If my truck was a performance truck and ready to be tuned for more cetaine then that will be the direction. My truck is not a 1/4 mile track burner nor a competition tow. It is being built for fuel economy. and right now it sets at 24mpgs highway and 17mpgs city. Those numbers are helped with the use of either Prolong, Lucas and for some weird reason RBP. Xtremem and the others made the truck sound good but there was no help in fuel economy. Here is the link to my results on fully.com I'm getting better at documenting my work.

Straight diesel will not get the numbers for my truck.

Click the image to open in full size.
I use 1 gallon of biodiesel each time I fill up. It is said to be the best pump lubricant additive. I've tried running higher cetane fuel(shell racing diesel) and actually lost power. Whatever makes you feel better.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #32
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
For an application such as yours Ron, I would expect the best performance to come from tuning around the race fuel. You can't just dump race gas in a gasser and expect more power without tuning/building for it. But I know who I'm talking to hear.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #33
Rustin

Name: Rustin
Title: Let the Beatings Begin!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
I use 1 gallon of biodiesel each time I fill up. It is said to be the best pump lubricant additive. I've tried running higher cetane fuel(shell racing diesel) and actually lost power. Whatever makes you feel better.
I brew my own bio-diesel too. I see fuel economy loss with bio, but my truck sure sounds and acts different. I like it, I just don't have an economical way of brewing and cleaning the bio-diesel.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I brew my own bio-diesel too. I see fuel economy loss with bio, but my truck sure sounds and acts different. I like it, I just don't have an economical way of brewing and cleaning the bio-diesel.
Have you checked out the dry wash systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
ARbowhunter7

Name: ARbowhunter7
Title: Opulence...I Has It.
Member`s Gallery
I honestly don't run additive for fuel mileage. My truck gets 13 mpg no matter what.

I run PS for lubrication of the very expensive fuel system, and to keep stuff clean. I don't buy that horsechit about the ULSD not being any worse for old-school fuel systems...never have.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
RonA

Name: RonA
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've got 100 gal or so of WVO I'd like to get rid of if you have any use for it.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
Schrowang

Name: Schrowang
Title: Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
Member`s Gallery
that's it I'm switching to power service, my howes leaked all over my floor.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
gwhammy

Name: gwhammy
Member`s Gallery
I've tried lots of additives and found no differences in milage or power. The stations I get fuel from has only bio mix diesel. My brother in law checks his milage every tank with a truck that just gets driven emty back and forth to work. He said the bio mix always gets 1.5 to 2 mpg less than straight diesel.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
I've got 100 gal or so of WVO I'd like to get rid of if you have any use for it.
Wish you were closer to me, I'd take it.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhammy View Post
I've tried lots of additives and found no differences in milage or power. The stations I get fuel from has only bio mix diesel. My brother in law checks his milage every tank with a truck that just gets driven emty back and forth to work. He said the bio mix always gets 1.5 to 2 mpg less than straight diesel.
I don't get that. A friend of mine usually runs straight #2. When he came through IL to IN, along the same route as me, he got 1.5-2mpg BETTER with the 10% bio mix IL requires. Both 5spd 4x4 4.10 equiped 1st Gens I've had have gotten 20mpg or better running a steady 55-65mph on 500 mile trips.

Last edited by oldestof11; 01-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Closed Thread