Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Timetothrive

Name: Timetothrive
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
7.3 into 6.0 Swap

I got two trucks: a gutted (no engine and transmission) 2003 f250 6.0L Lariat and a run and drive 2002 f250 7.3L Lariat with severe frame damage.
Same body and interior EXCEPT the 6.0 came with a few extra bells whistles: heated side mirrors with blinkers, sunroof, and heated seats.

My initial plan was to completely gut the 7.3L and transfer it into the 6.0L and then figure out the how to wire the extras, especially the sunroof.

However once i compared the two dash harnesses and saw how similar they are, I wondered if I couldn't just the 6.0's dash harness. The only problem that I would see with this idea is getting power to the female pin connectors after the firewall where it connects to the harness in the engine bay.
The the only essential components that the dash harness connects to are the GEM module, Airbag module, and Anti-theft system. Even the connectors of GEM module are the same.

Here some pictures.
The dash harness once they leave the cabin through the firewall.
InkedIMG_20200708_134349_LI.jpg

Comparing the first two connectors going from right to left (shortest to longest)
InkedIMG_20200708_134009_LI.jpg

This last one is missing a bunch female pin connectors.
InkedIMG_20200708_134309_LI.jpg

The fuse box is also very similar, they even share the same parts number. The 7.3 is only missing 2 pins. I should be good to use the 6.0's fuse box, right?
InkedIMG_20200708_134952_LI.jpg

And can someone tell me what this connector (yellow) is for ?
InkedInkedIMG_20200708_134349_LI.jpg

Where the dash harnesses connect to cabin harness on the passenger side, the two are also differ.
InkedIMG_20200708_134455_LI.jpg
InkedInkedIMG_20200708_134656_LI.jpg

I appreciate any help or advice on how to proceed. Where else should I post this?

I'm just some Kid that wanted to make his stepdad happy, but ****ed up. Bought a 7.3L with severe frame damage and looking forward to fixing my mistake by placing 7.3L into what once was a 6.0L.

Last edited by Timetothrive; 07-10-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
CTFFEMT

Name: CTFFEMT
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
it can be done. nearly all wiring from the 7.3 will need to be moved to the 6.0. There is a write up how to do it on powerstroke army.

co04cobra has done several of them. I will copy and paste from there to here... credit to co04cobra ....

Quote:
Back to OP easiest answer. Donor truck. SWAP EVERYTHING all wiring, etc... etc.. Just about everything is still there to bolt all of the 7.3 stuff up. Last one I did I left the complete 05 dash and made a harness to go from the old style radio plug to the 05 radio.

A few other wiring changes depend on years. If using an 01 back wiring harness you need to splice a small piece of the firewall in where the PCM and connectors go through. 02-03 7.3 harness go right through any 02-07 cab the same way. If leaving newer style dash, with a 01 back harness you need to splice a pigtail on for the new headlight switch.

Last one I did was an 06 truck and I left all the new suspension, but had to have one hose made up from the steering box to hydroboost. I took several pictures of these swaps, but I really suck at adding pics on here. Maybe If I email them to someone else they can post and Ill do a play by play. Hope that helps.

Its not a real hard swap just a little time consuming.

Closed Thread